Entire box of reverses for enders

clarknau

Jul 25, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been buying halves in MWR at one of my banks 5 rolls at a time and every single one has had a 2000 or 2001 reverse showing on both sides. I thought this was odd and what is even stranger is the teller keeps telling me that these halves have already been searched for silver. I didn't believe her at first b/c I was almost certain they were straight from a machine b/c both sides have that rolled crimp that does not look tampered or opened. At this point I though this was just a coincidence.

Well today I finally bought them all (34 more rolls) and still everyone of them has a reverse showing (dont know the year b/c I haven't opened them yet). Now I'm second guessing myself and thinking somehow???? they have been searched and have been "marked" by placing new reverses as enders. Has anyone ever seen this? Can rolling machines scan the coins and place reverses on the ends to make them look nicer or more presentable (I doubt this...)? Do you think this is just one very large coincidence?

Obviously I'm going to still search through them. I just wanted to see what everyone thought of this. I'm opening them this weekend, so I will let you know if any silver comes of it.

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if they are crimped nicely like MWR's, they might not be searched, but the odds of all reverse enders are slim to none... there's a 25% chance that each roll will have both sides reverse, enders... 6.25% chance 2 rolls will both have reverse enders... 1.5625% chance 3 rolls will ALL have reverse enders, my math could be completely wrong as I am no math guy, but the odds are against you..
hope this helps
hh
buff

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coincidence. Jmho. You might want to ask the teller why she thinks they have been searched already. Maybe someone searched some and then gave up and cashed in the rest.

OP
OP
clarknau

clarknau

Jul 25, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe someone searched some and then gave up and cashed in the rest.

Hadn't thought of this but could be what happened. I'm still baffled by the reverses. I wish the odds of getting all reverses would have worked in another manor (i.e. Silver!!!)

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
clarknau said:
I had no idea this existed. I just found this instructional video on the N.F. String and Son, Inc website. http://www.twist-n-crimp.com/movie/twistncrimp_web.mov

N.F. String and Son was the brand of paper used in the rolls that are in question.

tumblr_m4vzwwhVdZ1r4sv79.gif

:p

Last edited:

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bigscores said:
Someone has a hand crimper, I bet.

Well that sounds reasonable as far as explaining the 100% reverse enders. Still be interested to hear teller explain why she said they were dumps. Also makes me wonder about when people sell unsearched rolls with a desirable ender showing.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mercury1 said:
Well that sounds reasonable as far as explaining the 100% reverse enders. Still be interested to hear teller explain why she said they were dumps. Also makes me wonder about when people sell unsearched rolls with a desirable ender showing.

A searcher searched them, rerolled with an end showing as their way of marking, and dumped them. The tellers usually have an idea of what's up when you walk in with $500 in halves.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
bigscores said:
A searcher searched them, rerolled with an end showing as their way of marking, and dumped them. The tellers usually have an idea of what's up when you walk in with $500 in halves.

You obviously got them from your grandfather or something... He's been collecting them for ages, all those shiny 1990s half dollars. Lol.

If they ask me what's up, I always say that I sold someone something (college text books, or what-have-you) on Craigslist and they paid me in half dollars.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
boristhespider88 said:
You obviously got them from your grandfather or something... He's been collecting them for ages, all those shiny 1990s half dollars. Lol.

If they ask me what's up, I always say that I sold someone something (college text books, or what-have-you) on Craigslist and they paid me in half dollars.

Week after week people keep paying in half dollars. Lol

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
mercury1 said:
Week after week people keep paying in half dollars. Lol

Shh... Don't tell them!

Our little secret.

I recognize the tellers and only go in like once every two weeks or so.

OP
OP
clarknau

clarknau

Jul 25, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
No silver. I'm starting to think the teller was the one who made the dump.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread