Epic Two Hunts At A New Spot Lands Me A Pile Of Silver, Walker And A Largie!

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking for Civil War spots on the maps when I stumbled on a spot that was perfect for some coin shooting. I went to try it out Wednesday evening and it did not disappoint with Mercs and Washingtons. I found 8 silver coins in about 4 hours that night. I was looking forward to getting back there and was able to hunt it for a couple more hours Friday. My very first signal sounded like a silver quarter on the Etrac but out popped a coin that looked more like a clad quarter. I was surprised when I picked it up to see it was a thick green coin and I wet it enough to see the little details left of a worn large cent! I haven't dug a Largie in a long time. I went back to digging and got three more silver dimes and a nice sterling ring. The whole time I was thinking there is a good chance of finding a silver half here. Well as luck would have it right at dark, I got a screaming 3-46 signal and I knew for sure it would be big silver. Cut the plug and pulled out a nice Walker! I did get a couple of nice dropped CW bullets but it was a lot of fun digging all this silver! Had rain here all day so it was good to clean everything up and do a little more research. HH-David

PHsOcre.jpg YyLYs1x.jpg oBU3rY9.jpg

h1FF64H.jpg cN7UXne.jpg oRH8RDU.jpg

8xai0kc.jpg 959qitl.jpg Lp7gp12.jpg

Upvote 62
OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walkers are in the top 20 of my favorites SLQ being number one. I have yet to dig one but when I do I think I will keel over. What an excellent hunt. Does that Miniball have a hole drilled in it? Looks like someone wore it around their neck.

Yeah Walkers and SLQ's are beautiful coins. I hope you get the thrill of digging one soon. And I'm not sure if someone started a hole in the bullet or if it's just a flaw in the pour. A lot of times the soldiers would put a hole in one to make a sinker to fish with.

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the kind of hunts that we all dream of, lots of silver, old coppers, ring and the old lead....the only thing missing was the gold but who cares? You go to sleep tired and yet very happy! congrats big time!

Thanks! Yeah you're right about digging a good variety and I sleep like a baby reliving these digs or dreaming of the next big find.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy COW!!!!!!! Thats a 2 month total for us!!!!! Great scores!!!!!:occasion14:

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
I take it you're done hunting for the rest of the year now.....:occasion14:

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy COW!!!!!!! Thats a 2 month total for us!!!!! Great scores!!!!!:occasion14:

Yeah for me as well. I about doubled my years silver total in two hunts. Thanks man!

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take it you're done hunting for the rest of the year now.....:occasion14:

Yeah just going to hang it up and take it easy for the rest of the year or at least until this rain moves out...:laughing7:

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some unbelievable finds!!!:icon_thumleft: Those are really nice coins you found there, I can't imagine digging 8 silvers in a week, much less in ONE day. That look like a very good site, there is probably more there!

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some unbelievable finds!!!:icon_thumleft: Those are really nice coins you found there, I can't imagine digging 8 silvers in a week, much less in ONE day. That look like a very good site, there is probably more there!

Thanks! it's a unique spot for sure. Good luck to ya!

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unreal hunt. I would be unable to leave... and if I did leave I wouldnโ€™t sleep.

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome haul! I would be happy to have accumulated that in a season, let alone a hunt.....

Thanks! It's a place that had houses on it built in 1950 and were torn down a few years ago. Its pretty much open now and I just went down as many of the front yards as I could.

I found a somewhat similar spot this past week doing research. I decided to drive past it before going for permission. As I drove by I discovered that my satellite image was a year or two old, as they were near completion on a giant hotel that swallowed the whole block.

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unreal hunt. I would be unable to leave... and if I did leave I wouldnโ€™t sleep.

Thanks! Yeah I hear ya on not wanting to leave. Hunts like these have got me in major trouble with my wife. Sometimes she understands. She hasnโ€™t took the detector away yet so Iโ€™m good!

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome haul! I would be happy to have accumulated that in a season, let alone a hunt.....

I found a somewhat similar spot this past week doing research. I decided to drive past it before going for permission. As I drove by I discovered that my satellite image was a year or two old, as they were near completion on a giant hotel that swallowed the whole block.

Thanks! And man I got sick reading your comment about the spot being covered up by the hotel. It feels like a race around here trying to get to Civil War spots befor development swallows it up for good. Sure is sad. Good luck maybe you will get to the next spot before they do.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That spot sounds awesome. Congrats on all the silver and the surprise copper. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread