Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are going to put the detector completely under water the bluetooth will not work. Also the headphones are not waterproof. For submerging the unit you will need wired headphones that are waterproof. One of the more popular ones are custom made by Tony Eisenhower.

Abmalaso

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are going to put the detector completely under water the bluetooth will not work. Also the headphones are not waterproof. For submerging the unit you will need wired headphones that are waterproof. One of the more popular ones are custom made by Tony Eisenhower.
I

Why would the minelab supplied headset not work if detector underwater? There are no additional plugs being used. Should work just fine.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I

Why would the minelab supplied headset not work if detector underwater? There are no additional plugs being used. Should work just fine.

Bluetooth signals don't travel in the water. Mine dies in just a few inches under or less. A wired set would work but if they are not waterproof they obviously would be damaged if they got wet.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blue tooth doesnt work under water and stock headphones are not waterproof.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Equinox wireless headphone setup will work fine in the water until you get the pod underwater. To submerge the detector, you need wired waterproof headphones. Just don't dunk the wireless headphones. I recommend the waterproof ones even just wading.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
look into the Grey Ghost for the nox I love mine

Hddeuce03

Jul 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I

As others have stated, Bluetooth signal doesn't travel underwater so the wireless stock headphones will not work once the main head unit is under the water. I learned that one the hard way ;)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As others have stated, Bluetooth signal doesn't travel underwater so the wireless stock headphones will not work once the main head unit is under the water. I learned that one the hard way ;)

What was the hard way? It would just disconnect the signal from the headphones, right? :icon_scratch:

Hddeuce03

Jul 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was the hard way? It would just disconnect the signal from the headphones, right? :icon_scratch:

It was the hard way because I had to move to an area shallower where the pod wasn't submerged. I really wanted to hunt the deeper areas that day.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to me.....thats just a bunch of bull....ya I got the nox, and ya I bought a new pair of headphones. But how do you call something waterproof when it does not work underwater with the supplied headphones. They really should supply a pair of waterproof headphones with the original purchase. Its borderline false advertising when you say something is waterproof and its not when it comes out of the box. OK so it it didn't leak but it didn't work either when the port becomes submerged underwater with stock phones. I don't know what there definition is of waterproof is.....but if I take it out of the box and it doesn't work underwater with what it comes supplied with then it AINT WATERPROOF. If I buy a Rolex submariner and it says water proof......well then I don't have to buy a new crystal for it to make it waterproof !! WTF !! They should say something like....the eqx is a great machine that can be made waterproof by making an additional purchase of a waterproof pair of headphones.....thats being truthful.....nothing pissed me off more than tearing that thing out of the package and then not being able to use it in the water !! I did anyway with the external speaker.....I could barley hear it over my own breathing through the snorkel....and that was with the volume all the way up !!

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to me.....thats just a bunch of bull....ya I got the nox, and ya I bought a new pair of headphones. But how do you call something waterproof when it does not work underwater with the supplied headphones. They really should supply a pair of waterproof headphones with the original purchase. Its borderline false advertising when you say something is waterproof and its not when it comes out of the box. OK so it it didn't leak but it didn't work either when the port becomes submerged underwater with stock phones. I don't know what there definition is of waterproof is.....but if I take it out of the box and it doesn't work underwater with what it comes supplied with then it AINT WATERPROOF. If I buy a Rolex submariner and it says water proof......well then I don't have to buy a new crystal for it to make it waterproof !! WTF !! They should say something like....the eqx is a great machine that can be made waterproof by making an additional purchase of a waterproof pair of headphones.....thats being truthful.....nothing pissed me off more than tearing that thing out of the package and then not being able to use it in the water !! I did anyway with the external speaker.....I could barley hear it over my own breathing through the snorkel....and that was with the volume all the way up !!
Most people that buy the Nox are not going that deep in the water and the included phones work just fine. They are not willing to pay an extra $150 for the detector to get something they have no use for. Those that intend to go over waist deep or snorkel/scuba with their detector buy one that is rated more than 10' and those do come with waterproof phones, along with an increase in price.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silly me for believing them when they said waterproof !! My bad !! All I'm saying is that they should give you the waterproof headphones so that one splash of water in the port doesn't make it unusable for five minutes while I get it dry again !! That doesn't even make it water resistant. The fact is I'm not talking about diving im talking about any water of any kind getting in the Port with stock phones causes it to malfunction. Just one splash, or one wave, or one drop in the water and you will be sitting on the beach trying to dry the jack and the port to get going again without all sorts of static. Don't worry though I've adapted my hunting style around the machine and don't use phones in the water or out !! just snorkeled for 3 trips with it in 4-5 foot depths with it. If I lay it on the bottom to fan and dig....well its submerged for good amounts of time. I love the machine !! Got nine rings in about 12 hours over 3 trips with 6 golds, 2 silvers, and one stainless. No headphones and no scoop. The closest dry land is over a mile away. I have 2 excals when I'm diving on my own. And when I dive on the treasure salvage boat I use a vast array of other machines. Here is the big factor !!

If your snorkeling with any machine....you are limited in depth to whatever the length of the shaft is plus how far you can stretch your arm. Once you have gotten past the point that you can swim with the coil on the bottom and still be able to breathe through your snorkel.....you need an air source.....snorkeling and diving with metal detectors is 2 very different things. No wader or snorkelers will ever get to ten feet...the rated depth of this machine. You can not effectively reach the bottom with the coil head while swimming in any thing over 5-6 feet. At this point you will need air and lead to stay at depth to be effective in your search pattern. Now at about 6 foot for me I have to switch to air and excal !! This is a general rule for everyone give or take a little depending how tall the person is. What I'm saying is the company is saying the machine is waterproof to 10 feet....the way the machine comes from the factory you will not be able to use it in the water....unless you close the port and use the external speaker. I have exceptional hearing underwater and have adapted a funny looking way of hunting.....underwater the speaker is held close to my ear as I snorkel....as the depth shallows I put the speaker out of the water....and my ears. Sometimes carpenters have several different hammers for different jobs....all these machines are just tools to me. So in a beach and shallow water setting 5-7 foot max.. a waterproof machine rated to 10 feet should work in 5 foot flawlessly barring some major blow or trauma...shouldn't it ?? If you say its waterproof....and you can only use it with the external speaker...well technically you haven't lied.....but you haven't been truthful in saying " you can't use it in the water until you make an additional purchase....IF YOU WANT TO USE HEADPHONES !! And ya know what...I did want to use head phones.....but....I've learned I don't need them, but I'm sure many others will not be able to hear the machine underwater.....I can even distinguish the tones. I have 2 EQXs in rotation so both get submerged. One of them had water ingress but...I was breathing compressed air and the machine was underwater at 8 feet for 30 minutes when it failed....my bad I was pushing the limit....but it is rated to 10 is it not ?? Doesn't matter !!

Once a tool has done enough work to pay for itself and turn a profit.....then I don't care if it gets used up and replaced !! So let me clarify.....just with the money that I could get for a sale of my banner 1732 pillar dollar...I could pay to replace all my machines many many times over with change !! Just the 6 golds in the last couple weeks would pay for both EQXs.... with change left over. I will always love these EQX machines....as long as they pay for themselves and minelab keeps there word on the warranty im good. I still think they should include waterproof headphones in the initial purchase !! Just makes better sense !!

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/b...ings-3-fantasy-cobbs-other-small-jewelry.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/b...d-silver-stainless-2-fake-treasure-coins.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/beach-shallow-water/638033-trifecta-gold-10k-14k-18k.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/b...16-1732-8-reale-pillar-dollar-1733-fleet.html

This is a few recent posts for me this summer.....all found snorkeling with the EQX with no headphones and no scoop !!

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silly me for believing them when they said waterproof !! My bad !! All I'm saying is that they should give you the waterproof headphones so that one splash of water in the port doesn't make it unusable for five minutes while I get it dry again !! That doesn't even make it water resistant. The fact is I'm not talking about diving im talking about any water of any kind getting in the Port with stock phones causes it to malfunction. Just one splash, or one wave, or one drop in the water and you will be sitting on the beach trying to dry the jack and the port to get going again without all sorts of static. Don't worry though I've adapted my hunting style around the machine and don't use phones in the water or out !! just snorkeled for 3 trips with it in 4-5 foot depths with it. If I lay it on the bottom to fan and dig....well its submerged for good amounts of time. I love the machine !! Got nine rings in about 12 hours over 3 trips with 6 golds, 2 silvers, and one stainless. No headphones and no scoop. The closest dry land is over a mile away. I have 2 excals when I'm diving on my own. And when I dive on the treasure salvage boat I use a vast array of other machines. Here is the big factor !!

If your snorkeling with any machine....you are limited in depth to whatever the length of the shaft is plus how far you can stretch your arm. Once you have gotten past the point that you can swim with the coil on the bottom and still be able to breathe through your snorkel.....you need an air source.....snorkeling and diving with metal detectors is 2 very different things. No wader or snorkelers will ever get to ten feet...the rated depth of this machine. You can not effectively reach the bottom with the coil head while swimming in any thing over 5-6 feet. At this point you will need air and lead to stay at depth to be effective in your search pattern. Now at about 6 foot for me I have to switch to air and excal !! This is a general rule for everyone give or take a little depending how tall the person is. What I'm saying is the company is saying the machine is waterproof to 10 feet....the way the machine comes from the factory you will not be able to use it in the water....unless you close the port and use the external speaker. I have exceptional hearing underwater and have adapted a funny looking way of hunting.....underwater the speaker is held close to my ear as I snorkel....as the depth shallows I put the speaker out of the water....and my ears. Sometimes carpenters have several different hammers for different jobs....all these machines are just tools to me. So in a beach and shallow water setting 5-7 foot max.. a waterproof machine rated to 10 feet should work in 5 foot flawlessly barring some major blow or trauma...shouldn't it ?? If you say its waterproof....and you can only use it with the external speaker...well technically you haven't lied.....but you haven't been truthful in saying " you can't use it in the water until you make an additional purchase....IF YOU WANT TO USE HEADPHONES !! And ya know what...I did want to use head phones.....but....I've learned I don't need them, but I'm sure many others will not be able to hear the machine underwater.....I can even distinguish the tones. I have 2 EQXs in rotation so both get submerged. One of them had water ingress but...I was breathing compressed air and the machine was underwater at 8 feet for 30 minutes when it failed....my bad I was pushing the limit....but it is rated to 10 is it not ?? Doesn't matter !!

Once a tool has done enough work to pay for itself and turn a profit.....then I don't care if it gets used up and replaced !! So let me clarify.....just with the money that I could get for a sale of my banner 1732 pillar dollar...I could pay to replace all my machines many many times over with change !! Just the 6 golds in the last couple weeks would pay for both EQXs.... with change left over. I will always love these EQX machines....as long as they pay for themselves and minelab keeps there word on the warranty im good. I still think they should include waterproof headphones in the initial purchase !! Just makes better sense !!

Not sure what you are going on about. Garrett does not provide waterproof phones with any of the AT series detectors or the ATX. Same with Nokta for the Kruzer and Anfibio series and the Simplex. All of those detectors require you to buy the waterproof phones as a separate (expensive) accessory. If you use proper waterproof or even water resistant phones with the requisite Equinox screw in connector, your water in the jack problem is a non-issue or if you use wireless phones and keep the jack plug sealed, non-issue. So why are you singling out the Equinox for what seems to pretty much be industry standard practice for what are essentially all 10' wading detectors. . Different story, obviously for true dive detectors like the Excal.

Don't get me wrong. I think ML has taken some shortcuts on the overall robustness of the Equinox design and its ability to stand up to hard core water hunting. But this complaint about not providing waterproof phones seems to be a selective nit picking of the Equinox, not to mention the fact that appropriately designed waterproof phones are expensive and typically have compromised audio fidelity by the nature of the underwater drivers they use, and as mentioned previously, unlikely to be used by a majority of Equinox owners (so why should they all be forced to pay an unnecessary premium)? I think for most people, the "waterproof" designation just gives folks peace of mind should they hit foul weather or should they drop it in the drink.

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And many machines that claim to be waterproof do come with waterproof headphones so why some and not others ?? Especially when you could ?? Whites surfmaster, excal, fisher cz. I'm calling them out because they claim waterproof but its not until you purchase another product. !! It will fail in the water with stock phones if the port submerges...at that point it won't work in the water unless you close the port. Underwater most cannot hear the external speaker rendering it useless underwater. If I owned any of those others I would call them out too. Its false advertising to claim something is waterproof out of the box only to find out with no notice that its not waterproof until I modify it with an additional purchase. Its simple it doesn't work underwater with the phones they give you !! I'm not batching about the machine....I'm crushing it....just be forward and tell us it ain't waterproof until you make it that way....or just ship it out LIKE MANY OTHERS ready to go out of the box....no wasted time and money figuring it out !! Right !!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread