Minelab Equinox 800 update 4kh vs Multi tested on deeps silver...

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the video Calabash, I love how the equinox can be updated and improved upon, V3 is a very exciting update, kind of like getting a new machine [emoji16]

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Equinox is by no means perfect and has it's pro's and con's, but it must really stir the emotions of haters to see the Equinox not only have the ability to be updated in the first place, but that they continue to offer updates to improve their product and at no charge to the owner!

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
That’s amazing how 4khz changes the whole game. I didn’t know it was that big of a change on different targets, especially on that gold coin. Wow, Very cool! Nice video

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Calabash,

Thank you for the update - I always enjoy watching your videos. Question, what did the iron targets sound like, hopefully the Nox wasn’t giving off high tones for every signal in 4 KHZ. Reason I asked, it appeared in your video that the Nox was giving a high tone for every target to include the 9 inch wheat cent which sounded off with a high tone and popped up a 33 on the screen.

Regarding EMI and the Nox, I have hunted directly under major power lines (regional power lines/large towers) and was still able to pull great targets out of the ground. I would just crank the volume and listen for the tone break between all of the chatter. Granted, definitely not fun detecting under the wires but the fields were ancient and I knew from my research that I would likely find some nice targets.

Thanks again.

Good luck with your hunts.

Walt

Last edited:

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for posting such an informative video. I found it especially helpful, as I do not have a test garden. If you don't mind me asking, what did you have set for a recovery speed? Thanks again, and look forward to future videos.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice video. Reminds me of the days we would smoke 'em on the old White's single frequency and Tesoro single frequency machines running a low frequency. This old technology (low single frequency) still works very well. The low frequencies just haven't been popular in the last ten to fifteen years and you young guys just don't remember the old days where single 4-5 khz was the bomb.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will be watching your video later tonight, CD. I'm curious because I have been wondering why they added 4kHz when they already had 5kHz. Does 1 kHz really make that much difference? And if 4 is useful, then why not 3, or 2 or 1 kHz?

My other detector is an XP Deus and I have had 4kHz single frequency there since forever but I find that I rarely use it. Maybe this will change that for me. I realize that lower frequencies travel further (think of that superbass in the trunk of the car next to you at the light) but doesn't it also light up iron much better?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vferrari should respond, he does the math better than I do. In general, a very low frequency will hit the silver harder and at depth. That low a frequency will miss small gold nuggets and brass, pewter and such. When you get to a much higher frequency, then you will start to pick up more gold, pewter, and nickels. With relic hunting you want to use a higher frequency. Hunting silver, a lower frequency. Its one reason some places have no silver but lots of other coins. Other times its because the silver wasn't there to begin with. Best course of action is to run the gamut of numerous frequencies on a site. Since the low frequencies were most all that was available for 40 years, that's why those old sites (sometimes) don't have the silver anymore but you can pop out a small gold ring on a higher frequency today.

Of course, most of the success is do to the operator, not the machine. I can nail a silver quarter very deep with my 74 khz machine.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calabash,

Thank you for the update - I always enjoy watching your videos. Question, what did the iron targets sound like, hopefully the Nox wasn’t giving off high tones for every signal in 4 KHZ. Reason I asked, it appeared in your video that the Nox was giving a high tone for every target to include the 9 inch wheat cent which sounded off with a high tone and popped up a 33 on the screen.

Regarding EMI and the Nox, I have hunted directly under major power lines (regional power lines/large towers) and was still able to pull great targets out of the ground. I would just crank the volume and listen for the tone break between all of the chatter. Granted, definitely not fun detecting under the wires but the fields were ancient and I knew from my research that I would likely find some nice targets.

Thanks again.

Good luck with your hunts.

Walt

Recovery 5...and my buddy will be testing it in the iron loaded camp tomorrow... I will report back on the iron,

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be watching your video later tonight, CD. I'm curious because I have been wondering why they added 4kHz when they already had 5kHz. Does 1 kHz really make that much difference? And if 4 is useful, then why not 3, or 2 or 1 kHz?

My other detector is an XP Deus and I have had 4kHz single frequency there since forever but I find that I rarely use it. Maybe this will change that for me. I realize that lower frequencies travel further (think of that superbass in the trunk of the car next to you at the light) but doesn't it also light up iron much better?

I think they basically added a new 4kh mode something different going on more stable than 5kh.... yes iron will get lit up better. IMO

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Recovery 5...,

Thanks! You hit pretty deep targets in your garden, so I was curious about the recovery speed and whether it was set at the default value or not. I have been running it a bit lower myself in non-trashy areas to try to increase depth. Not sure I really need to do that now, as you hit deep on a recovery speed close to default. Again, I really enjoy your videos, as you explain and demonstrate things so clearly.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think they basically added a new 4kh mode something different going on more stable than 5kh.... yes iron will get lit up better. IMO

And if iron will get lit up better, then iron masking should also be more of a problem, I would think.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would chase relics in multi..

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calabash.....I saw your " other" video. Now I think that was a very sorry response from whoever did that. Do not mean to start a stink here but that was low down to me. I guess us big guys are not smart enough to work a certain detector!!....lol

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I just got back from about an hour at my local park. True, this park is loaded with pulltabs, bottle caps, and foil and other modern trash, but I don't think I'll be hunting in 4K anytime soon. EVERYthing has a high tone! Noise fatigue set in very quickly. I tested a 4" dime and the tone actually dropped from the average tone. Seems pretty unworkable to me, at least for that sort of location. Maybe somewhere that was very clean except for some deep silver. Rusty bottlecaps came in at 39-40, btw.

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice video. Reminds me of the days we would smoke 'em on the old White's single frequency and Tesoro single frequency machines running a low frequency. This old technology (low single frequency) still works very well. The low frequencies just haven't been popular in the last ten to fifteen years and you young guys just don't remember the old days where single 4-5 khz was the bomb.
Lol yeah that's because we don't want to dig trash all day with single frequencies. Single frequency machines are a thing of the past and for good reason. Of course old timers found lots of good stuff with single frequency beep and dig machines because you basically have to dig every solid signal. Also there was silver coins everywhere 2 inches deep lol.

This 4khz is a helpful addition in some scenarios for deep targets but multi frequency still much more effective overall. 4khz will give a perfect high tone and silver numbers every time on rusty bottle caps and other trash.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I just got back from about an hour at my local park. True, this park is loaded with pulltabs, bottle caps, and foil and other modern trash, but I don't think I'll be hunting in 4K anytime soon. EVERYthing has a high tone! Noise fatigue set in very quickly. I tested a 4" dime and the tone actually dropped from the average tone. Seems pretty unworkable to me, at least for that sort of location. Maybe somewhere that was very clean except for some deep silver. Rusty bottlecaps came in at 39-40, btw.

Exact same thing happened to me today, I cleaned the park of crushed beer cans and cheap wine bottle caps

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The 4Khz sounds like my old Explorer and Explorer SE when over silver :hello2:; such a sweet silver sound! I love hunting with them for old coins. :icon_thumleft:
Nice job on the video!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread