Etched Brass Pistol Butt Cap, Watch Winder, Ugly Flying Eagle

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out for a few hours in the 90 degree sun yesterday. I didn't last too long. Find of the day was another first. A really nice brass pistol butt cap. It's pretty bent and I'm not sure if I will try to straighten it. Opinions are welcome. Also found a watch winder and my first Flying Eagle. It's absolutely hideous!
IMG_2208.JPG
IMG_2209.JPG
IMG_5897.JPG
IMG_5893.JPG
IMG_5895.JPG
IMG_5896.JPG
IMG_5902.JPG
IMG_5907.JPG
IMG_5911.JPG
IMG_5914.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 38
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or he could have been in a fight with a big mammajamma lobsta' bub! I hear stories that in colonial Maine lobstas used to eat peoples dogs.

Eat more Lobsta' and cheers Ahab

Haha you and I would get along good. One of my good friends is a lobster dealer and owns a wharf on Bailey Island here in midcoast Maine. So I eat plenty of lobster as Scrappy well knows cause he's had some on his visits to Maine. I also worked on Vinalhaven for a year building a huge log cabin for a lobsterman. He had a lobster claw the size of a damn air conditioner. Apparently that's all this lobster could fit in the trap. When they pulled it to the boat it ripped his claw off and that's what came up. It was proudly displayed on his wall with several other interesting ocean treasures. He had 2 massive saws from the strange sawfish as well. But that lobster would have been absolutely enormous.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My vote is 'no' for straightening that butt cap. If you heated it, the amazing patina would be destroyed. The story is how did that sucker get bent? Having the privileged info of knowing where it was found, I highly doubt it was bent after the drop. I imagine it was bent pistol whipping a savage or perhaps a bear. Dunno - **** like that can make ya think. Nice find man - a pistol butt cap is on my list. Cheers bud

Yeah I agree with leaving it as is. That way the piece makes you create your own visions of how it became so mangled. That is thick brass too. It didn't get that way easily. It wasn't all that far away from the old brass pistol barrel. These people liked they're brass firearms apparently

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds there Captain Ahab!. I love the pistol butt cap...a very unique find. I'm also jealous of your toasty flying eagle cent. Have never found one myself, but hopefully one day.

Ha toasty is right! It's crazy that I can find a beautiful gilted Militia button 20 feet away that's perfect and this ugly ass coin that I almost couldn't id

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe--LOL--I thought the pistol cap was a door knob! Oh dear. Very pretty design. Congrats on a cool hunt. -Lisa & John

Haha you crack me up. Between your colonial time frame and this funny identification you keep me smiling. That's why you guys need to continue posting your finds. You may dig up the holy grail and need us to id it lol

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a FUGLY Flyer :) Nice watch key, I'd bet its Gooooold

Yes this is one of the ugliest you'll ever see. Hopefully my next is not this damn ugly

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Abe, I'd straighten that butt plate back, most of the patina would remain if you do it right, just me, little OCD. I need things just right. Nice FE Cent, some of our greater Banner hunters have never even found one of those, so any FE is better than no FE in my book.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds Abe, I'd straighten that butt plate back, most of the patina would remain if you do it right, just me, little OCD. I need things just right. Nice FE Cent, some of our greater Banner hunters have never even found one of those, so any FE is better than no FE in my book.

I feel bad for those hunters. Hopefully all their friends don't rub it in their faces.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another killer hunt man. That buttcap is awesome. If you want it straight, send it off to one of the restoration guys... they will make it look incredible. I've annealed and straightened a couple pieces of brass and it does ruin the patina. Congrats on the FE as well :occasion14:

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice hunt. Love that butt cap, and the design at the base. Definitely a keeper.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow bud that pistol butt cap is SICK. Now there's something I haven't found. Its gorgeous!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a smashing find that is, one for the show case.
Just wanted to add that looking at the other finds and the effects of what the soil acidity has done to them, the butt cap is in amazing condition. Love the patina look to the piece. For straightening it-well I'd think about that one for a bit as it adds a question of how it got that way, and makes for a better story.

You're right about the story. Half the enjoyment t of looking at a find

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that pistol butt is very cool.
Any ideas of age
Great find
I'm holed up till the heat breaks
Hh gl

Thanks bud. I'm guessing late 1700s early 1800s. But it's hard to be sure

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love the pistol butt cap, to have been decorated like that meant that it wasn't bottom of the line. not quite as nice as a silver one would have been but still not cheap. they are all pretty awesome finds

Thanks dl. I checked out some early silver ones online and I'd REALLY like to find one of those babies

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread