Explain this flaking pattern

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can someone explain the flaking pattern of the left piece? The flake on the right is just a flake, with a clear bulb of percussion whereas the piece on the left, is reversed (numerous times.) I assume stuff was intentionally flaked off that piece? For what reason?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
My best guess is you are seeing where several smaller flakes were detached before the piece you took the picture of came off.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's probably one of those "oh rats, I didn't think it would flake in THAT direction" relics.

OP
OP
F

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your input... so that pattern is something you typically see just on waste flake or did someone flake that off? To me, it looks flaked off intentionally (though I wouldn't know why anyone would work on that piece right there) because that is the "underside" or "inside" of the flake... but maybe that's just the way it broke. I'm a newbie, only doing this for a couple of weeks, so I'm trying to learn what I can.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Not all rock is created equal. I think it just happened. IMHO I know on occasion when I am spalling out a heat treated rock I will get that wavy look on the rock or the debitage. Unintentional for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread