Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
high horse.jpg

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
You only give out the info you choose to give out.

Uh, not true. They have tagged my IP address or something. They won't let me set up a "fake" account using my IP address. They insist I give my real name, using a birth certificate, drivers license, passport, etc. They can go jump in a lake; they don't need my real name. (Eventually, when I have time, my mom will set up an account for me. I just have to remember some of my other email addresses I don't use.)
FB IS addicting. Those games, well, I know I sound like a nut-job when I say this, but I personally think that the government is super happy to see everyone playing those stupid games and posting pictures. They are so busy with FB that they don't have to time to check out what is going on. Nor do they care any more. There was a book I read a while back. It's a young adult book, called The Uglies. It's a series. Basically, they keep the teenagers drugged up and all they do is party. A very select few get to stay in control of their minds. Book was written a while ago. I do think that FB is this type of "drug" that keeps people's minds occupied so they don't have time for other things.
Anyway. I won't be selling on FB. I'm sticking to Ebay, and the local consignment stores. I did find another site today, Posh something, but they take 20% of your sale, and they make you charge $4.99 for shipping, priority, no matter what it is. So I just said forget it. I do have to look into Etsy for my vintage stuff.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uh, not true. They have tagged my IP address or something. They won't let me set up a "fake" account using my IP address. They insist I give my real name, using a birth certificate, drivers license, passport, etc. They can go jump in a lake; they don't need my real name. (Eventually, when I have time, my mom will set up an account for me. I just have to remember some of my other email addresses I don't use.)
FB IS addicting. Those games, well, I know I sound like a nut-job when I say this, but I personally think that the government is super happy to see everyone playing those stupid games and posting pictures. They are so busy with FB that they don't have to time to check out what is going on. Nor do they care any more. There was a book I read a while back. It's a young adult book, called The Uglies. It's a series. Basically, they keep the teenagers drugged up and all they do is party. A very select few get to stay in control of their minds. Book was written a while ago. I do think that FB is this type of "drug" that keeps people's minds occupied so they don't have time for other things.
Anyway. I won't be selling on FB. I'm sticking to Ebay, and the local consignment stores. I did find another site today, Posh something, but they take 20% of your sale, and they make you charge $4.99 for shipping, priority, no matter what it is. So I just said forget it. I do have to look into Etsy for my vintage stuff.
There are ways around all of that if you want...

Keep politics out of thread..

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
And they sure give it out why do they like to give out all there personal info ? .. Is the whole world going crazy ?

People will do anything for attention...

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Facebook has it's place AND any information there has been volunteered. What cracks me up is people that are against it due to the "invasion" of privacy don't have any problem downloading apps to their phone.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You guys realize that FB and any social media is optional, right?

Yes it's optional, I just choose to option out. Besides who actually has time for Facebook? I certainly don't. My thoughts are if it isn't helping me learn something new or putting money in my pocket I don't have time for it...

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha. My facebook account got shut down. I got into a fight with a liberal and won. Then they reported me. My user name was not my real name. For 11 years I used it, and all of a sudden, 3 hours after the fight I get a message that I can't log on until I give them my real name. Well, that is not going to happen. The funny thing is, everyone knows me by user name. (Not this one; it's my husband.) People actually found me because of my user name. They would not have realized who I was using my real name.
So why does FB want your real name? So they can sell their lists to marketers. Well, they can go jump in a lake. At least my account is totally and completely gone. Like it never existed, which is fine with me.

I knew I liked you for more than just your ninja jewelry skilz. ;)

I do use Farcebook as a way to stay in touch with family and Real Life Friends in case of stuff like hurricanes, etc. And I don't have eight zillion 'friends' I never met.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keep politics out of thread..
Nitpicking are we?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Facebook has it's place AND any information there has been volunteered. What cracks me up is people that are against it due to the "invasion" of privacy don't have any problem downloading apps to their phone.
I have no apps on my phone.. I still have the same flip phone i have been using for over 10 years .. Same phone but this phone is starting to show it's age ..

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I have no apps on my phone.. I still have the same flip phone i have been using for over 10 years .. Same phone but this phone is starting to show it's age ..

I've got a smart phone only because I need it to look up stuff online. I've cut everything off I could. Most people I know have tons of apps....& have absolutely no clue what information they have allowed the app designers access to.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing about facebook is it polarizes people. Facebook's algorithm shows you the posts that are most likely to engage you and cause you to spend more time on fb, and one method of engaging you is to provoke you. I run several facebook sites for businesses and after spending those hours, my personal presence is just about zero.

I have no problem with facebook only allowing real people and real businesses on there. The internet world has enough anonymous people who can say anything already.

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing about facebook is it polarizes people. Facebook's algorithm shows you the posts that are most likely to engage you and cause you to spend more time on fb, and one method of engaging you is to provoke you.

It's called The Palantir. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread