Reactions: DJV
OP
OP
DJV

DJV

May 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost all of my finds are in rivers and the mean depth is 10'. I have no doubt that many lakes hold untold treasures, but the bottom of these lakes are often very soft, thus those items likely lie deep in the muck. In contrast, flowing rivers often have hard-packed bottoms that are kept relatively clean by river currents and Spring run-off, thereby exposing whatever may have been tossed in.

OP
OP
DJV

DJV

May 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and cleaned up they look like?...
The black bottle, having been pulled from the sand, didn't need much cleaning; I elected to have the S. Belch CW bottle tumbled, thus the "before / after" pics ( what do you think - better left as found, or tumbled? ).

Attachments

• Hand-Blown Black Beauty.jpg
    Hand-Blown Black Beauty.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
  • Foy & Starr.jpg
    Foy & Starr.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
  • S Belch CW.jpg
    S Belch CW.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • After Tumbling.jpg
    After Tumbling.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The black bottle, having been pulled from the sand, didn't need much cleaning; I elected to have the S. Belch CW bottle tumbled, thus the "before / after" pics ( what do you think - better left as found, or tumbled? ).
Each of them have a certain appeal.
Love the satin glass look, (whiskey)also the clean.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Almost all of my finds are in rivers and the mean depth is 10'. I have no doubt that many lakes hold untold treasures, but the bottom of these lakes are often very soft, thus those items likely lie deep in the muck. In contrast, flowing rivers often have hard-packed bottoms that are kept relatively clean by river currents and Spring run-off, thereby exposing whatever may have been tossed in.
In the bay in front of my home the depth is about 12ft.
Spoken to many divers over the years and the build up of sediment is a few feet thick.
The only way would to probe while diving to find any glass.
We know that's probably never going to happen.

Reactions: DJV
OP
OP
DJV

DJV

May 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the bay in front of my home the depth is about 12ft.
Spoken to many divers over the years and the build up of sediment is a few feet thick.
The only way would to probe while diving to find any glass.
We know that's probably never going to happen.
Well, in very soft sediment or sawdust ( the location of old sawmills abutting reasonably deep water can prove fruitful ), I've been known to shove my arms in to the shoulders & work slowly through the semi-soup, using a breast-stroke type motion. It's exhausting, but I have been lucky a few times in such conditions.

Here's one I found where the bottom was covered by 2' of a mix of loon-poop & sawdust; I just brushed it with my finger-tips during an arm-stroke and managed to grab it. I thrust it up & out into the bright sunlight, culminating in a rather loud WAAAAAHOOOOO!

Attachments

• Fresh From The Dust!.jpg
    Fresh From The Dust!.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, in very soft sediment or sawdust ( the location of old sawmills abutting reasonably deep water can prove fruitful ), I've been known to shove my arms in to the shoulders & work slowly through the semi-soup, using a breast-stroke type motion. It's exhausting, but I have been lucky a few times in such conditions.

Here's one I found where the bottom was covered by 2' of sawdust; I just brushed it with my finger-tips during an arm-stroke and managed to grab it. I thrust it up & out into the bright sunlight, culminating in a rather loud WAAAAAHOOOOO!
Beautiful soda who is the soda maker from Montreal?
In my little coves at the end of the bay along the shoreline. The slab wood has covered all the bottom. 6-8ft long so it's something that I have to deal with.
Have 1600ft of shoreline where the docks/walkway ran along the shoreline for a century.
The water isn't deep so after a decade of detecting searching the dry land of the property it's time to get wet this coming summer.
The mill pond is another area I'd love to explore, there has to be hidden treasures on the bottom.
It has a current, but also could work as a catch basin for debris.
20211207_145844.jpg
20221111_135728.jpg

OP
OP
DJV

DJV

May 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful soda who is the soda maker from Montreal?
In my little coves at the end of the bay along the shoreline. The slab wood has covered all the bottom. 6-8ft long so it's something that I have to deal with.
Have 1600ft of shoreline where the docks/walkway ran along the shoreline for a century.
The water isn't deep so after a decade of detecting searching the dry land of the property it's time to get wet this coming summer.
The mill pond is another area I'd love to explore, there has to be hidden treasures on the bottom.
It has a current, but also could work as a catch basin for debris.
View attachment 2126930 View attachment 2126931
The round bottom bottle also says: "Kenneth Campbell & Co. Medical Hall"; as to who manufactured the bottle itself, I do not know.

Man - O - Man! Was that arched stone structure part of the old Mill? That is exceptionally cool!

That water looks sweet! Certainly worth a snorkelling investigation. Just keep an eye out for snapping turtles, as they like those environs; I've encountered a lot of them and never had an issue with them being aggressive, but should you accidentally disturb one, I'm not sure how they'd react.

I've never had too much luck with Millponds, as they typically have very silty, mucky bottoms; however, last summer I did some arms-length plunges into a millponds bank & came up with a chamber pot & an un-embossed hutch, so ya just never know, eh?!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread