Highland Dairy & Abbotts milk bottles

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made two nice surface finds today. Highland Dairy Products Company milk bottle 1927, Chester PA and Abbotts milk bottle. Some scratches in bottles. The Highland Dairy has a crack. But the bottles are intact.
IMG_0456.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0449.jpeg
    IMG_0449.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0451.jpeg
    IMG_0451.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0453.jpeg
    IMG_0453.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Ed_DE

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your two Nice milk bottles!
Thanks, I like finding anything from local companies in my area. Especially from the City of Chester. It's a small city that has a lot of history.

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Honestly I enjoy digging out old glass more than many relic finding activities, old glass is always nice to find and potentially useful too.
I kind a f feel the same way But that might just be because I would much rather be digging something that when I first see it I get a rush of excitement and hope that it will be a nice bottle Maybe a good example of something I have found in the past of even better a great example of a first if it's for me Every intact bottle is like Christmas morning You never are sure what it is but it makes me think I am really lucky to have the chance to find it and take it with me to give it some place to show off what it has that makes its a great find in my eyes and in my mind I once had a large bottle dump that i located a large number of embossed bottles Crown tops ,blob tops Hutchinson I would start digging and found it hard to go home the chance to find an embossed bottle that would be a new item to my collection was always possible And there was one company always at the front of the line as far as just showing up as my digging tool removed dirt The number of different companies was always nice And at the same time the number of variations of size and color of glass an types of lettering was wat made it a once in a life time spot to dig The one company that stood out with so many variations of it's bottle was companythat reallly

Last edited:

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
I kind a f feel the same way But that might just be because I would much rather be digging something that when I first see it I get a rush of excitement and hope that it will be a nice bottle Maybe a good example of something I have found in the past of even better a great example of a first if it's for me Every intact bottle is like Christmas morning You never are sure what it is but it makes me think I am really lucky to have the chance to find it and take it with me to give it some place to show off what it has that makes its a great find in my eyes and in my mind I once had a large bottle dump that i located a large number of embossed bottles Crown tops ,blob tops Hutchinson I would start digging and found it hard to go home the chance to find an embossed bottle that would be a new item to my collection was always possible And there was one company always at the front of the line as far as just showing up as my digging tool removed dirt The number of different companies was always nice And at the same time the number of variations of size and color of glass an types of lettering was wat made it a once in a life time spot to dig The one company that stood out with so many variations of it's bottle was companythat reallly
Digging old glass is often everything metal detecting simply isn't, it's as I often say, if you find an old rubbish mound just start digging, yeah, you're gonna find old metal, nice old metal too but much more than that you're gonna find old glass, these intact old beauties from back in the day. Sheesh, I went out yesterday with my partner to a spot we know, one of the spots we know honestly, it's not the oldest but not the youngest, I messed with my pinpointer a bit but gave up on it fast, there was so much handsome glass and metal just laying there and buried a few inches down, I was using just the tip of my spade to probe for diggers. Oh man we walked outta there with so much, so so much, I don't post many pics but I'll tell you this, we have collected HUNDREDS of antique and vintage pieces in great shape, HUNDREDS and no exaggeration.
The plan is to start selling some, I'm fixing to put together some cool shadow boxes neatly arranged with old bottles (we love the little colored pieces best), old metal pieces found, restored to a rustic patina with a bit of vinegar, old spikes and antique nails and what have you.
Old cellar holes a few old relics may yield but let me tell you about the bottle dump down the river a bit, the glass is from the 20s you know, maybe older as you get deeper into the mound. There's other ones too if you watch carefully, the soft sand along the banks is full of relics that can go back to the 1700s if you're patient. Just the other day we took a break along one of our common treks, a cottonwood had toppled over and at it's roots, about a foot or so down was heaved up a mid century Hazel Atlas jar in perfect shape, 1950s perhaps but I took it just the same. If I'm walking the banks with my metal detector I'm searching for the places they dumped all the trash, I'm ultimately mostly after those glass relics so if the area goes beep every few inches I just start digging, there's metal, glass, ceramic and more just waiting to be found.
There's sufficient abundance that I can be picky, very picky indeed. I suppose I'm lucky to live where I do but each region has different things to offer I suppose. Such fun!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions