FBI raid

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Maybe the word raid means something different to each us. Some a raid would be a surprise force entry and seizure and to others would be the execution of a search warrant and seizing evidence. And working on calls that the media presents in the new I can say yes they do misrepresent things, sometimes draumatising or just using wording that people in the field. I feel like a lot of people are blowing this out of the water and jumping to the conclusion of guilty until proven innocent, raiding without a warrant, picking on an old guy, and everything else.
Newsguy I don't know if any of your comment was directed towards me but i have completed college. I have a degree in emergency medical services with a minor in fire science. I am also currently halfway through my batcholers in mechanical engineering so I have a backup plan incase of a career ending injury. I am also certified paramedic. I don't think your degree in journalism or public speaking gives you the right to tell me that I am uneducated. Especially not knowing me.
All I have said is I'm sure the police acting within the law.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
And for the so called college educated group that newsboy belongs I believe they executed a search warrant with a search and seizure. I believe that the 90 year old man that the news stated was open about his collection and never felt the need to hide it probably allowed them in him home. This might help you understand the labels you use straight from the dictionary.

raid

rād/

noun

noun:*; plural noun:*

a sudden attack on an enemy by troops, aircraft, or other armed forces in warfare.

"a bombing raid"

synonyms:attack,*assault,*descent,*blitz,incursion,*sortie;*More

a surprise attack to commit a crime, esp. to steal from business premises.

"an early morning**a bank"

a surprise visit by police to arrest suspected people or seize illicit goods.

STOCK MARKET

a hostile attempt to buy a major or controlling interest in the shares of a company.

I guess walking up to the door could be considered a surprise lol. But with the generalization of the word I would say they implied it to be something more. But you saying if he called himself it was still a raid you are wrong. It would not be a surprise and by definition it was not a raid in that case.

Last edited:

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
So your correcting the dictionary by saying he was raided. That's nice. Also don't get caught raiding the fridge. Just to let you know I don't publish an article for thousands or millions of people to read and form judgment about my eatting habits. Plus I don't use that term lol.

Don't state that you are educated and people you do not know are not.

As for the guy in the news, you can not really claim ignorance when I search online "can I own Indian artifacts" and the first thing that pops us clearly states you cannt own remains like the one with the arrow head in the skull. I don't expect a 90 year old to Google things but he should have done some research or someone had to have told him.

Last edited:

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
I'm not saying that the news lies but you do have to admit that the news will use the wording that draws a reader in. And the wording they use sometimes will persuade the reader to have an opinion that they otherwise wouln't have. Captivating a readers attention is fundamental in any type of writing. You just need to be careful when it something like this but news often times will be more concerned with bringing a reader in then portraying the information 100% unbiased.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
There where 3 people murdered in the metro area near where I live in the past month. Did you hear about them where you are probably not. Did we all hear the Cassie Anthony case or the Trevon Martin case. Of course, that's because the media cares about creating at story that will draw an audience in and create emotion and opinion on the subject. I trust the events in the news happened but I take the how portion with a grain of salt.

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
Give me some examples. Show me some specifics so I can give you my best shot. I cannot address such a broad generalization. What is "sensational" to you is not always such to your neighbor.

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
Better yet... I'll give you my real name, you can look up my real work and point out issues you may have. That will give me a first person chance to explain why something reported was done the way it was. I have absolutely no issue defending.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Give me some examples. Show me some specifics so I can give you my best shot. I cannot address such a broad generalization. What is "sensational" to you is not always such to your neighbor.

I don't know what you are referring to. I just saw this post.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
As for the National news article example I was referring to I was giving a broad example about how conflict, emotion, or possible future impact will effect a news story. This thread is about something that happened to a 90 year old in NY. No one is going to read an article out of this area or discuss on a forum about some local people that was shot in another act of random violence. Where as those cases caused conflict in what happened or what the outcome should be.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Aaaaaaaaany way.
I feel bad for the guy but at the same time I don't. Someone should have raised the question whether he was doing something illegal.

OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you figure the old guy invited 100 FBI agents over for tea? Sure it was a raid. If not, the media over-dramatized it to the point of being misleading if not out and out lying. You don't think the media will make stuff up? Ask Dan Rather about that..... Sometimes they just assume things not backed by concrete facts to make a good story. Then, when they realize they overstepped, they back track a bit with some lame retraction after the fact. Too late at that point....the damage is done and people have moved on to the next "over-hyped crisis". I'm not saying everyone in the business is deliberately doing that but there are so many competing for a scoop that, in their zeal for being first, they don't do their due diligence in establishing the facts before they report a story.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stay on the topic please. No reason to make accusations against members or associate this with a particular political affiliation.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

His Bio
Miller’s fascinating life included working for the U.S. Army during World War 2, and being part of thesecret team of researchers that test-fired the world’s first atomic bomb. As the Rushville Republican reported, after the 1945 armistice, being surrounded by some of the brightest minds in the country with “no more war to fight,” Miller set up his own makeshift college within the Army. He graded papers for famed physicist Enrico Fermi.

But that was decades ago. Mr. Miller, now a kindly old gentleman, was described as being “very cooperative.” But he insists “absolutely” that he acquired everything legally.
The FBI’s implication, however, is that Mr. Miller is a lawbreaker, and they are preying on his trust and cooperation until they can actually produce evidence in order to prove it.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
That's pretty cool. That's what I refer to when I feel bad for the guy I honestly think he was a great guy and wasn't trying to do anything illegal. It's to bad someone didn't step up and help him make sure his t were cross and I dotted to cover himself.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK I know I said that was not going to comment on this any more but... I just read a very interesting article titled "The oddly aggressive enforcement of cultural artifacts laws" from The Washington Post. I would post a link but for some reason unable to on this pc. Maybe someone else could? The first part of the article is Mr. Miller's story second half makes some very disturbing points. I am not a collector of N.A. artifacts but if I was a big collector I would be very, very concerned. This article should be shared around. Personally I never knew or heard of this wide spread crack down on all this N.A. artifacts mumbo jumbo. Assuming this is true. Reading this article might save someone from getting in serious trouble.
Yes I even changed my Mohalk Gasoline avatar witch depicted a Native American.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the heads up on that article Helix. It is chilling:

The oddly aggressive enforcement of cultural artifact laws

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All of you "that think digging up Indian graves is cool"! Look out! hahaha lol

That is exactly what some people were probably doing that caused these laws to be put into place to begin with.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm only going to say this Once.

There will be No more Warnings in This on Any other posts .

IF I Read accusations of Members Digging Graves
IF I read accusations that I Interpret as accusations, even Vague ones.
your posts will be deleted.

Our Members Do NOT Dig Graves.
If you see a Rather nice Artifact,
Don't Get Jealous & Make accusations.
Congratulate them or Move on .

and yes that includes accusations of
digging in off limit parks or private property without permission.

If you don't have Video of them doing it,
& Documents. to prove the video is of the member digging
on the wrong side of an official sign that Warns the site is off limits.
it didn't happen !

NO ACCUSATIONS !!!

This comment is NOT Open to Discussion

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions