Feedback bully?

RocknRoll

Apr 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I've been on eBay since the late 90's and have bought and sold for many, many transactions. I have had a handful of bad dealings but a vast majority of good transactions.

I recently received a message for a buyer regarding feedback. I have not left feedback yet and I was kind of offended by the message from the buyer. I asked if the item had been received and they states it had.

Here is a paraphrase of the 1st ever contact from them:

From buyer...."I have not received feedback as a buyer though I paid for the item some time ago. If I do not receive feedback in the next 48 hours, I will be forced to post seller feedback with a neutral ranking, stating how you did not provide timely buyer feedback."

What do all of you eBayers think about this message?

They paid and the item shipped the next day. The item delivered as expected.

Thanks

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give him positive feedback, hopefully you will then receive positive feedback. Then block him!!
Put his/her name out there so we can block 'em too!

Last edited:

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would report the buyer. EBay does not tolerate that kind of stuff. Then leave them "proper feedback".

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
Why were you so late on giving them feed back ? I f they pay fast, then they should get there feed back fast, after all there job is done ?

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why many sellers leave positive feedback first, to avoid these types of situations.

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's feedback extortion and forward the message to eBay. Any message with a threat should not be tolerated.

OP
OP
RocknRoll

RocknRoll

Apr 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eBay does not require that you leave feedback. EBay does have a time limit for leaving feedback (I think like 60 days)

Regardless of why feedback has not been left yet ( holidays, kids, life???) I do not think it is professional for your 1st contact with a seller to be one of "do this, or else".

Again, item was sent the day after payment and it was received. Nothing wrong with transaction.

How can you threaten neutral feedback if seller has not left feedback?.....there is no requirement.

I have done everything required of me.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
i don't leave feedback until I know they are happy. The only way to really know is when they leave positive feedback for you.

Call Ebay and see what they say before you leave feedback.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never leave feedback first. I enclose a little thank you note, best wishes, blah, blah, AND "please leave feedback, this lets me know you got it just fine, I'll then do the same. Any problem, don't hesitate at all to contact me".
I'm not chasing ppl down, did you get it, do you like it, will you leave me fb. They want fb, they can let me know they got it by leaving me feedback. No fb gets no fb. (I might have been doing it wrong though, there's some don't leave any fb) :dontknow:

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
There has been other talks on here about how or when to do feed back..And I tried them all as I really wanted my feed back to reflect how much I was selling..and I have found that to leave it as soon as you recieve your money then mail it the next day at the latest seems to do the best at getting what I want. After all if you are waiting to see what you get, is really just black mailing the buyer with out putting it in writing..He has done his part of the bargin,,now do yours.

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
Because the buyer excepted it, he is probaly trying to get more feed back...we know that it is part of the deal Go ahead and report it but do not be surprized if in the future ebay tells you there is now a change and you the seller will have to give feed back when payed not when delivered but payed.
eBay does not require that you leave feedback. EBay does have a time limit for leaving feedback (I think like 60 days)

Regardless of why feedback has not been left yet ( holidays, kids, life???) I do not think it is professional for your 1st contact with a seller to be one of "do this, or else".

Again, item was sent the day after payment and it was received. Nothing wrong with transaction.

How can you threaten neutral feedback if seller has not left feedback?.....there is no requirement.

I have done everything required of me.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
It is called feedback extortion.

This is expressly forbidden by ebay.

Please report the buyer. You can either call ebay to report this, or do it on line.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
FWIW, as a full time seller, I NEVER leave FB until it is left for me. It is the one thing that I stand steadfast on, with no exceptions, whatsoever.

I know that 98% of the posters here disagree with me on this.

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a full time seller. I've got too much other stuff to do than worry about whether the buyer left me feedback first or not. Every night, I schedule my USPS pickup, then I go to eBay and leave feedback for everything I shipped. The only thing I want from the buyer is $$. Once I get that, I'm happy.

The extortion thing is BS, report to eBay OBV.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Now with me as soon as i get paid and know they have the item i leave a good feedback . If they want to leave me a feedback i really do not care..If they leave me one or not /..

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I leave feedback when

1- I receive it first.

or

2- The item has been delivered for a minimum of 2-4 weeks and I hear no complaints.

or

3- The item was a brand new in the package item and I feel sure there can be no complaints whatsoever about it.

Other than that I could care less if I get feedback from a buyer or not, much less whether I leave them feedback (at all). Feedback for a buyer doesn't mean squat since you can't leave a negative or neutral anyway. Only when you get "creative" with a bad buyer is it really worth it. Why should a buyer even get feedback at all? Just to say what "fast payment"? whoopty doo!! Yippee! who really cares!

Please read- This little excerpt says it all for me- Who Should Leave Feedback First? | eBay

To ensure all parties are represented equally in the feedback system, the buyer should leave feedback first in the transaction once the item is received and meets his or her expectations. It is then the seller should leave his / her feedback after seeing the buyer both paid in a reasonable amount of time and the buyer was kind and worked with the seller on any kinks that may have come up.

FragFox

Dec 21, 2014
Eastern Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster, Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feedback is helpful but I hate doing it. I usually let them pile up for a while and then knock them out in one sitting. We all have our different methods. Getting the package out the door and to the customer is priority. Anything after that should be a non-factor.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When ppl buy, I look at the feedback they leave for others, as well.
I had one lady, I don't think too many sellers, ever pleased her. I thought, "Oh great, this will probably blow". I did the package up real good and she left no FB. That was fine with me! She got no FB either, no biggie.
Etsy, you can't/don't leave FB for the buyer, that's fine with me, too.

If you leave positive feedback, then your buyer turns in to a daymare........ nah..... I ain't changing what I do either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread