All Treasure Hunting

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So at this point, is there anything he could do that would prove it was real to you? If he posts a picture or says where it was hidden, you can say it was all doctored and made up since a few days have passed since it was allegedly found. So what would it take to convince you it was real all along?

You’re already doing a presumptive answer to a hypothetical rebuttal I may issue on hypothetical evidence that has yet to be produced?!

We look at the evidence currently available and it doesn’t support any treasure being buried in the first place, let alone being found by the “shy guy”. If new evidence emerges, we’ll all take a critical look at it at that time it becomes available.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You’re already doing a presumptive answer to a hypothetical rebuttal I may issue on hypothetical evidence that has yet to be produced?!

We look at the evidence currently available and it doesn’t support any treasure being buried in the first place, let alone being found by the “shy guy”. If new evidence emerges, we’ll all take a critical look at it at that time it becomes available.

Ok, so again, what evidence would it take to convince you it was real all along?

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Fenn doesn’t strike me as a fool. Smart businessmen listen to their lawyers - especially the lawyers of book publishing companies that send the paychecks. It’s hard to believe that it was all a hoax. If so, the publisher is exposed to endless litigation. No, like previous armchair hunts involving best-sellling puzzlers - this is all real.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so again, what evidence would it take to convince you it was real all along?

Asked and answered.

Question, what evidence have you been provided that supports his claim that it’s been found?

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fenn doesn’t strike me as a fool. Smart businessmen listen to their lawyers - especially the lawyers of book publishing companies that send the paychecks. It’s hard to believe that it was all a hoax. If so, the publisher is exposed to endless litigation. No, like previous armchair hunts involving best-sellling puzzlers - this is all real.

Heck, in this day and age, he’s probably self publishing through a printing house. Also, publishers became wise to this long ago, and have you sign a no fault contract and make no claims to the authenticity and veracity of the authors, as they have no way to vet out the truthfulness of the authors.

Edit: He is self published through “One Horse Land and Cattle Co”. They only have 5 books to their credit, all Fenn related. It’s probably his own Llc and they just contract a printing press to print them.

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello mr fenn, I’m with the irs, we’re gonna need this persons name

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Asked and answered.

Question, what evidence have you been provided that supports his claim that it’s been found?

You didn’t answer at all and in doing so have confirmed my suspicions that no amount of evidence would change your mind. It wasn’t a tricky question but you refused to answer because you have no answer.

The answer to your question is I never claimed it was real or fake. I said I hope it’s real. I’m open to it either way. You’re not.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You didn’t answer at all and in doing so have confirmed my suspicions that no amount of evidence would change your mind. It wasn’t a tricky question but you refused to answer because you have no answer.

The answer to your question is I never claimed it was real or fake. I said I hope it’s real. I’m open to it either way. You’re not.

Huh? There is more assumption, speculation and accusation in this diatribe then one can process...

Bottom line, I’m not going to play a game of hypotheticals. I’ve examined the evidence thus far available and made my own conclusions and mine alone.

If you have evidence besides Fenns own claim, we’d love to see it.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh? There is more assumption, speculation and accusation in this diatribe then one can process...

Bottom line, I’m not going to play a game of hypotheticals. I’ve examined the evidence thus far available and made my own conclusions and mine alone.

If you have evidence besides Fenns own claim, we’d love to see it.

So you want Fenn to provide evidence but don’t trust Fenn’s claims. Oookkkkk.....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one is is required to believe it not believe. that is by member's choice, what members are required to do is post by our rules. Please keep it civil, respectful and courteous.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you want Fenn to provide evidence but don’t trust Fenn’s claims. Oookkkkk.....

Respectfully, just stop already with the assumptions and accusations of what I think or want based on hypotheticals and assumptions of your own creation.

I presented my position, based on the evidence currently available, clearly and concisely and made my own conclusions and mine alone.

Again, if you have other evidence that supports the claim it's been found, we'd all love to examine it, be it from Fenn, the finder or any other sources. We're open to examining it all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Respectfully, just stop already with the assumptions and accusations of what I think or want based on hypotheticals and assumptions of your own creation.

I presented my position clearly and concisely and made my own conclusions and mine alone.

Again, if you have other evidence that supports the claim it's been found, we'd all love to examine it, be it from Fenn, the finder or any other sources. We're open to examining it all.

I just don’t understand your position and I’m trying to know what evidence would be sufficient for you. You’re free to not believe it or believe it all you want. I was just curious what, in your opinion, it would take to change your assumptions that it’s a hoax. I guess that’s too much to ask.

Asking honest questions aren’t accusations. But it’s clear you won’t give an answer so I’ll stop wasting my time trying to make conversation with you.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one is is required to believe it not believe. that is by member's choice, what members are required to do is post by our rules. Please keep it civil, respectful and courteous.

Who wasn’t keeping it civil? Unless you’re referring to my post he rudely describes as “diatribe.” In that case, I forgive him.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure is a lot of Fenn-bashing going on. From the photos I've seen of the guy's home I'd say he's not hurting for money, so the motive of very minor book sales appears pretty baseless. Ego? I don't know the guy, but from reading TToTC he doesn't come across as such. The whole endeavor carries with it significant legal liabilities which I assume he understood. A few people died and a whole lotta people spent tremendous time & money. If it was fake, Fenn's on the hook for fraud at least. Again, looking at photos of his home, I doubt he's gonna risk it all on a fake treasure hunt.

I suspect we will eventually learn who found it, after they've consulted a lawyer. The treasure itself is worth a lot but so is being the guy who found it, if you know how to market that. Personally, I hope the location is not revealed, and it gets turned into something akin to a geocache, without the geo. That is, place a capsule in the exact spot of the treasure with a log book. People can continue to "look for the treasure" and if they find it, put their name in the log book and hopefully continue to guard the secret.

Rydog

Aug 29, 2012
Idaho
I'm right there with you.

Four things that stick out:

1. It's Fenn himself claiming it was found (as it was just Fenn himself saying it was buried, with no proof and no witnesses), it wasn't the finder himself coming forward to the public.

2. Fenn said its "some" guy from the east who "is shy" (how convenient). Yet, Fenn indicates the guy contacted him to prove he found it. If you truly wanted to stay anonymous, contacting the original owner is not the way to do it. The IRS will have no problem finding you now that you contacted Fenn (if your goal was to avoid the taxman).

3. Fenn says the guy sent him a picture of the chest. Let us see the picture.

4. Since it's been found, why not just tell us where he had originally buried it?

These don't stick out at all.

1. Of course it's Fenn himself. Why would the finder go public? If you won the lottery, who wouldn't want to keep it a secret from their neighbors?

2. Hard to follow you here. You can contact Fenn anonymously. He does have a physical address. Not everything has to be electronic. Why contact Fenn? Well I'm glad he did so now people won't be looking for something that's no longer there. That's what I would have done. Perhaps also to give the bracelet back too.

3. There is a chest. Fenn himself has pictures of it. If this was a scam, it would have been easy for Fenn to have taken pictures of it ahead of time. Give it a while.

4. He says more details are coming. I'd certainly like to know. Perhaps to help protect the identity of the finder. That's a fair reason.

Lastly, what about Fenn gives you the impression that this is a scam. Did he sell forgeries in his art gallery?

Rydog

Aug 29, 2012
Idaho
Heck, in this day and age, he’s probably self publishing through a printing house. Also, publishers became wise to this long ago, and have you sign a no fault contract and make no claims to the authenticity and veracity of the authors, as they have no way to vet out the truthfulness of the authors.

Edit: He is self published through “One Horse Land and Cattle Co”. They only have 5 books to their credit, all Fenn related. It’s probably his own Llc and they just contract a printing press to print them.

What about Fenn's character leads you to suspect this is a hoax? Have you read any of his books? Heard info about shady dealings at his art gallery?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure is a lot of Fenn-bashing going on. From the photos I've seen of the guy's home I'd say he's not hurting for money, so the motive of very minor book sales appears pretty baseless. Ego? I don't know the guy, but from reading TToTC he doesn't come across as such. The whole endeavor carries with it significant legal liabilities which I assume he understood. A few people died and a whole lotta people spent tremendous time & money. If it was fake, Fenn's on the hook for fraud at least. Again, looking at photos of his home, I doubt he's gonna risk it all on a fake treasure hunt.

I suspect we will eventually learn who found it, after they've consulted a lawyer. The treasure itself is worth a lot but so is being the guy who found it, if you know how to market that. Personally, I hope the location is not revealed, and it gets turned into something akin to a geocache, without the geo. That is, place a capsule in the exact spot of the treasure with a log book. People can continue to "look for the treasure" and if they find it, put their name in the log book and hopefully continue to guard the secret.

That log book idea is great!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in the Rockies and never did an organized hunt for that treasure but always kept my eyes open. I almost don't want to know where it was found and find out I camped almost on top of it some time. I think it was probably farther south of my range anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread