OP
OP
B

BeenThereDoneThat2

Aug 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tempest

Fenn could have quoted from William Shakespeare's play The Tempest, but then that would have been too strong of a hint/clue.

The Tempest Act 4, scene 1, 148–158
Shakespeare

Such stuff as dreams are made on

Prospero:

Our revels now are ended. These our actors,
As I foretold you, were all spirits, and
Are melted into air, into thin air:
And like the baseless fabric of this vision,
The cloud-capp'd tow'rs, the gorgeous palaces,
The solemn temples, the great globe itself,
Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve,
And, like this insubstantial pageant faded,
Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff
As dreams are made on; and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.

TAKE NOTE: SHAKESPEARE WROTE "DREAMS ARE MADE ON". NOT DREAMS ARE MADE OF" BIG DIFFERENCE THERE

OP
OP
B

BeenThereDoneThat2

Aug 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Miguel de Cervantes

On occasion I am asked by family and friends why I devote any of my time to the TOTC. They don't want to hear about it. But they know that I am gonna do what I am gonna do as they roll their eyes. My reply is; I do it in the spirit of Miguel de Cervantes.

And yes, I fully appreciate that attempting to change a "true believers" mind about Fenn's treasure chase is much like pouring a cup of water into the Pacific ocean. Think The Impossible Dream.

The son of a deaf surgeon, Miguel de Cervantes was born near Madrid, Spain in 1547. He became a soldier in 1570 and was badly wounded in the Battle of Lepanto. Captured by the Turks in 1575, de Cervantes spent five years in prison. He was freed in 1580 and returned home. De Cervantes finally achieved literary success in his later years, publishing the first part of Don Quixote in 1605. He died in 1616.

Miguel de Cervantes:
"I've been a soldier and a slave. I've seen my comrades fall in battle or die more slowly under the lash in Africa. I've held them in my arms at the final moment. These were men who saw life as it is, yet they died despairing. No glory, no brave last words, only their eyes, filled with confusion, questioning "Why?" When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? Too much sanity may be madness. To surrender dreams - -this may be madness;................................. "

OP
OP
B

BeenThereDoneThat2

Aug 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who said that Joe Cocker had a hit record with "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood?
Read my post kid.
Joe Cocker - Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood (LIVE in Baden) HD - YouTube

Riddle Me This theMarkd:

Fenn is known to have asserted that 1)the chest is secreted in a place that is not dangerous to the safety of a child. 2) that searchers have been within 500 ft. of the secreted chest, 3) that a 3 year old female would walk up to and touch the chest but probably need to be lifted up by one of her parents to touch the chest. Have at it "kid" theMarkd.

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Riddle Me This theMarkd: Fenn is known to have asserted that 1)the chest is secreted in a place that is not dangerous to the safety of a child. 2) that searchers have been within 500 ft. of the secreted chest, 3) that a 3 year old female would walk up to and touch the chest but probably need to be lifted up by one of her parents to touch the chest. Have at it "kid" theMarkd.
Is there a question in there somewhere?

OP
OP
B

BeenThereDoneThat2

Aug 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Riddle Me This theMarkd

Sounds like he wants you to tell him where the treasure is (based on the clues he provided).

Thank you, thank you Sod Buster. As Kahlil Gibran has written; 'No man can reveal to you aught but

that which already lies half asleep in the dawning of your knowledge".

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, thank you Sod Buster. As Kahlil Gibran has written; 'No man can reveal to you aught but

that which already lies half asleep in the dawning of your knowledge".

A simple "Thanks Mr. Obvious" would suffice.

Shakespeare wrote "Brevity is the soul of wit". You would do well to take his advice to heart.

OP
OP
B

BeenThereDoneThat2

Aug 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A simple "Thanks Mr. Obvious" would suffice.

Shakespeare wrote "Brevity is the soul of wit". You would do well to take his advice to heart.

Thank you again Sod Buster, but I will discount your advice on the wit thing. Silence is golden but but to each his own.

To quote Mark Twain; "Wit is the sudden marriage of ideas which, before their union, were not perceived to have any relation."

So then, do you have an opinion regarding TOTC or are you just seeking an argument now?

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you again Sod Buster, but I will discount your advice on the wit thing. Silence is golden but but to each his own.

To quote Mark Twain; "Wit is the sudden marriage of ideas which, before their union, were not perceived to have any relation."

So then, do you have an opinion regarding TOTC or are you just seeking an argument now?

I most certainly have an opinion, and fail to recognize any ember of an argument I may have sparked. As it is, my opinion is ever changing and shall remain kept to myself, as will my limited knowledge on the subject.

I refuse to tie my opinion to another's belt loop, much as I refuse to blindly trudge along another's path to the truth.

I will however, continue to follow this spectacle in an attempt to glean some knowledge. You may fully expect me to chime in as I see fit............being a free country and all.

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like he wants you to tell him where the treasure is (based on the clues he provided).
Surely he knows those three items are throw away clues. They are virtually no good.

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Riddle Me This theMarkd: Fenn is known to have asserted that 1)the chest is secreted in a place that is not dangerous to the safety of a child. 2) that searchers have been within 500 ft. of the secreted chest, 3) that a 3 year old female would walk up to and touch the chest but probably need to be lifted up by one of her parents to touch the chest. Have at it "kid" theMarkd.
I don't recall him ever stating that said child would need to be lifted to touch it. I believe he's said the other two.

OP
OP
B

BeenThereDoneThat2

Aug 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I most certainly have an opinion, and fail to recognize any ember of an argument I may have sparked. As it is, my opinion is ever changing and shall remain kept to myself, as will my limited knowledge on the subject.

I refuse to tie my opinion to another's belt loop, much as I refuse to blindly trudge along another's path to the truth.

I will however, continue to follow this spectacle in an attempt to glean some knowledge. You may fully expect me to chime in as I see fit............being a free country and all.

Sod Buster, I think I understand you now. But riddle me this if you will.
In That you feel free to keep your opinion on TOTC close to the vest,
why not just keep your opinion of my wit close to the vest wisenhimer?
Are you a certified wit critic perchance? Do you understand me now?

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sod Buster, I think I understand you now. But riddle me this if you will.
In That you feel free to keep your opinion on TOTC close to the vest,
why not just keep your opinion of my wit close to the vest wisenhimer?
Are you a certified wit critic perchance? Do you understand me now?

Hmmmmm...........interesting.........I make a comment to "themarkd", you interject into the conversation, and then expect me to keep my opinion to myself.

Yes, I think I do understand you now.......unfortunately. I'll leave you two to your discussion......just pretend I'm not even here.

(psst..........by the way its "weisenheimer" or the Americanized "wisenheimer" if you must, but never "wisenhimer".......I'm German, and feel it necessary to point little things like that out)

OP
OP
B

BeenThereDoneThat2

Aug 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"weisenheimer"

Hmmmmm...........interesting.........I make a comment to "themarkd", you interject into the conversation, and then expect me to keep my opinion to myself.

Yes, I think I do understand you now.......unfortunately. I'll leave you two to your discussion......just pretend I'm not even here.

(psst..........by the way its "weisenheimer" or the Americanized "wisenheimer" if you must, but never "wisenhimer".......I'm German, and feel it necessary to point little things like that out)

OK. Sounds good to me "weisenheimer" Sod Buster. That should work.
I felt that we could work it out. But keep checking back. You never know until you know, you know. And please let us be one of the first to know when you know. Hay Sod Buster, I'm the kind of man who would even follow you in this game if I were satisfied that you knew where heck you were going.

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I felt that we could work it out. But keep checking back. You never know until you know, you know. And please let us be one of the first to know when you know. Hay Sod Buster, I'm the kind of man who would even follow you in this game if I were satisfied that you knew where heck you were going.

You wouldn't want to follow me. You would soon lose sight of me, and then realize later that I was coming up behind you.

I must say, so far you aren't doing very well at pretending I'm not here.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
His handle is sod buster, weisenheimer is derogatory and violates our rules.

OP
OP
B

BeenThereDoneThat2

Aug 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You Treasure Hunter

You wouldn't want to follow me. You would soon lose sight of me, and then realize later that I was coming up behind you.

I must say, so far you aren't doing very well at pretending I'm not here.

In a previous post on this thread you quoted Shakespeare regarding my use wit.
Here is the part of the Play, Hamlet, where the line was spoker by the character Polonius.

POLONIUS OUOTE:

This business is well ended.
My liege and madam, to expostulate
What majesty should be, what duty is,
Why day is day, night night, and time is time,
Were nothing but to waste night, day, and time.
Therefore, since brevity is the soul of wit
And tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes,
I will be brief: your noble son is mad.
Mad call I it, for, to define true madness,
What is ’t but to be nothing else but mad?
But let that go.
----------------
I take it that you know that Shakespeare portrayed Polonious as a blowhard who spouts aphorisms that were even in the 16th century, cliches. Polonius was also elderly and demented.
If this is your standard for judging wit, that may explain your use of wit Sod Buster.

So then Sod Buster, do you have anything constructive to contribute to this thread related to
the subject of the thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread