Finally, a Large Cent that I did not have for that year!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of my Large Cents finds in recent times have been duplicates or much more for any particular year. So today, I hobbled into the woods for less than an hour and got two targets that made me happy for my short hunt.
A Imperial Orange Gilt button was my first find and about 5 minutes later, next to thick Mountain Laurel I got that nice high tone of a large copper.
Wow, was this one encrusted, I knew it was a large cent, once the dirt dried some I could plainly see the words on the reverse side but the front had almost a half inch of crud caked onto it.
Usually when a coin is like that it is an indicator of severe corrosion taking place. Well, after cleaning the coin, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was not too bad of shape afterall.
I did not have an 1843 in my collection, so it is a welcomed addition.
The site I hunted was located along a old road that parallels the new road and there were two small holes in the ground, one appears to have been a cellarhole and the other one nearby, like 10 feet away I have no idea. The coin was found not near the cellarhole area but about 30 feet away close to a rise in the ground that turned out to be old jersey stone foundations.
Earlier in the year, I got several buttons similar to mine today and a Barber Dime on the old road.
It was nice to get out for my second time in quite awhile and even nicer to at least get "my November Copper".

HH
Don in South Jersey

Attachments

• Site218HotDogStand.jpg
    Site218HotDogStand.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 759
  • FreshOutOfGround.jpg
    FreshOutOfGround.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 761
  • Inhand.jpg
    Inhand.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 769
  • Nove9thFindsObv.jpg
    Nove9thFindsObv.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 772
  • Nov9thFindsRev.jpg
    Nov9thFindsRev.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 770
  • 1843CleanAnimate.jpg
    1843CleanAnimate.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 754
Upvote 0

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
She's in beautiful shape, Don. Congratulations for finding a nice addition to your vast collection! :)

I'm glad that you're back on your feet.....Take it easy.....Don't overdo it!! 8)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WELL DONE ON FILLING A GAP

I love filling holes in my collection, that what its all about ;D ;D ;D

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Congratulations, Don, on the Braided Hair! It is good to see a true professional back to his coppa ways. Keep it up, man!

Bone Dry Detecting...zoyster

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YO YO YO nice coin
whats your secret to cleaning them

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Don. Nice largie! ;D Out of curiousity, how complete is your large cent collection? How many are you still missing?

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
It is about time you get your metal detecting butt in the great coppa fields. Awesome recovery, buddy. I love your site pics as well, buddy.

Keep the metal detecting passion at a high, buddy.

Bone Dry Detecting...Kirk

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evolution said:
Way to go Don. Nice largie! ;D Out of curiousity, how complete is your large cent collection? How many are you still missing?

MS Excel Spreadsheet, not showing all on it, but also have another page for Half Cents :)
Black numbers are mine, Red numbers are my son.
Yellow Blocks indicate I do not have that year, regardless if my son does.

Don

Attachments

• Large Cents Years.jpg
    Large Cents Years.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 689

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's real cool Don. Would you count a counterfeit?

I have an 1853 LG :P

PACO

Apr 1, 2007
Williamsport PA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HEY DON, GREAT LOOKING COPPA. WOULD YOU MIND REVEALING YOUR CLEANING METHOD. I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW YOUR SECRET.................PACO, BONE DRY DETECTING

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
PACO said:
HEY DON, GREAT LOOKING COPPA. WOULD YOU MIND REVEALING YOUR CLEANING METHOD. I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW YOUR SECRET.................PACO, BONE DRY DETECTING

Pac, he uses peroxide. It don't work on our coppas.

Bone Dry Detecting...Kirk

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Don, thats alot of large cents. Most impressive to me is the fact that you have 20 of them from 1794-1798. On a strange note, I have only found three large cents (all this year) and they are 1828, 1846, and 1847 all of which would fill a gap in your collection.

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage
Congrats Don on yet another addition to your prestigious collection. You are by far the best coin cleaner upper I've ever seen. Good luck on the next hunt.
Mike

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Its always good to fill that hole in, looks like your problem in filling your hole are all those "newer" large Cents...might have to find somewhere that those new coins might be!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread