Finally, a Large Cent that I did not have for that year!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of my Large Cents finds in recent times have been duplicates or much more for any particular year. So today, I hobbled into the woods for less than an hour and got two targets that made me happy for my short hunt.
A Imperial Orange Gilt button was my first find and about 5 minutes later, next to thick Mountain Laurel I got that nice high tone of a large copper.
Wow, was this one encrusted, I knew it was a large cent, once the dirt dried some I could plainly see the words on the reverse side but the front had almost a half inch of crud caked onto it.
Usually when a coin is like that it is an indicator of severe corrosion taking place. Well, after cleaning the coin, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was not too bad of shape afterall.
I did not have an 1843 in my collection, so it is a welcomed addition.
The site I hunted was located along a old road that parallels the new road and there were two small holes in the ground, one appears to have been a cellarhole and the other one nearby, like 10 feet away I have no idea. The coin was found not near the cellarhole area but about 30 feet away close to a rise in the ground that turned out to be old jersey stone foundations.
Earlier in the year, I got several buttons similar to mine today and a Barber Dime on the old road.
It was nice to get out for my second time in quite awhile and even nicer to at least get "my November Copper".

HH
Don in South Jersey

Attachments

• Site218HotDogStand.jpg
    Site218HotDogStand.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 759
  • FreshOutOfGround.jpg
    FreshOutOfGround.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 761
  • Inhand.jpg
    Inhand.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 769
  • Nove9thFindsObv.jpg
    Nove9thFindsObv.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 772
  • Nov9thFindsRev.jpg
    Nov9thFindsRev.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 770
  • 1843CleanAnimate.jpg
    1843CleanAnimate.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 754
Upvote 0

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Don,

You got your coppa fix for the rest of the year. How did the cane in the left hand and detector in the right hand feel? ;)

I am glad to see that your severe pain is diminished enough for you to relic hunt.

Bone Dry Detecting...Kirk

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Evolution said:
Wow Don, thats alot of large cents. Most impressive to me is the fact that you have 20 of them from 1794-1798. On an strange note, I have only found three large cents (all this year) and they are 1828, 1846, and 1847 all of which would fill a gap in your collection.
You guys should make a deal!

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evolution said:
Wow Don, thats alot of large cents. Most impressive to me is the fact that you have 20 of them from 1794-1798. On an strange note, I have only found three large cents (all this year) and they are 1828, 1846, and 1847 all of which would fill a gap in your collection.

That pattern continues with our Half Cent finds also, definitely a key indicator to the age of the sites we hunt! Again, my area was more populated in the early 1800's due to Saw Mill, Iron Forges and Iron Furnace industry. Starting around 1835 -1840 the industry collapsed here due to Iron being made in Western Pennsylvania and the fact the ore beds in South Jersey were depleted. So after 1840, a lot of the homesteads were abandoned and never resettled again, thus finding mostly the older early year US coins.

Don

Attachments

• halfcentsheet.JPG
    halfcentsheet.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 407

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coin cleaned up beautifully, Don! :o Congrats on that fantastic find!

Nana :)

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice large cent Don.

How many more are you missing now.

HH Jer

I

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JerDfx said:
Nice large cent Don.

How many more are you missing now.

HH Jer

I
See spreadsheet chart above.

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
KirkPA said:
Don,

You got your coppa fix for the rest of the year. How did the cane in the left hand and detector in the right hand feel? ;)

I am glad to see that your severe pain is diminished enough for you to relic hunt.

KirkPA, I hope he takes that cane in his left hand and slams you straight over the jib with it. :D

Don, you have to be close to 15 coppas for the year.

Bone Dry Detecting...zoyster

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
zoyboy said:
KirkPA said:
Don,

KirkPA, I hope he takes that cane in his left hand and slams you straight over the jib with it. :D

Don, you have to be close to 15 coppas for the year.

Bone Dry Detecting...zoyster

That would be wise for my good buddy, Don. Then, he can still find coppas with that machine in his right hand. :D ;D

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zoyster asked:

"Don, you have to be close to 15 coppas for the year."

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Great to see you out and about. She sure is a pretty coin! Did the button clean up as well as the copper? 19 for the year :o. That's it I'm moving to NJ! :)

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COUNTRY GIRL said:
Did the button clean up as well as the copper?

I did not bother taking an "after" photo of the button, it did not fare as well as the coin, a bit unusual but it just depends where and how it was laying in the soil.

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions