Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,

If you can believe this, it was 74 degrees in Missouri today (a record) so I wanted to get out and try hunting an older area. My wife recently told me about a friend and co-worker who lives in a house that was built in 1869, and I was very interested in seeing what history may lie beneath the ground in the yard surrounding it. I received permission to search the property and arrived there at about 10:15 a.m.

I started my search, and within 5 minutes I found 2 Lincoln Memorial cents and a 1943 Merc dime. I had visions of silver coins everywhere after finding the Merc, but for some reason it was the only silver coin dug after hours of careful searching. I continued to pound the yard as carefully and deliberately as I could, and my efforts paid off with my first Indian Head, an 1887. It was about 5 inches deep and was unrecognizeable at first. I saw the greenish color and knew it wasn't a modern Lincoln or a wheat (although it rang up as a modern penny). So I had 2 firsts today, my first Indian and my first coin from the 1800's.

By 2:30 p.m. I found a total of 25 coins - 13 Lincoln Memorial cents, 1 Indian Head cent, 1 wheat cent (1956-D), 1 nickel, 1 Merc dime, 5 Roosevelt dimes and 3 quarters. All the clad had recent dates.

I was also approached by 2 people during my hunt..one lady from across the street said her house was built in the 1930's (another potential yard), and after that the lady next door walked over, so I told her about the coins I had found. Without even asking, she gave me permission to check her yard, and it's even bigger than the one I checked today..the house is more than century old as well. It was getting late and I was too tired to thoroughly search another yard, so I told her I'd come back.

IH3.jpg

IH2.jpg

If anyone knows a way to bring out the details on this common date IH without ruining it, please let me know..I've cleaned lots of wheats but never attempted to clean one of these.

Nat

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread