Finally!! Capped Bust

U

umrgolf

Wednesday, January 19

Matt talked me into going on one last hunt with him yesterday before I left, and thanks to him, I now have my first capped bust coin :headbang: As many holes as I've dug in SC, NY, VA, MO, and AR in the last 4 years, its really incredible that I finally got one in Arkansas on the last hunt I'll have for over a year.

If you saw the post from this last weekend, you'll remember that Matt brought me out to this site on Friday.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,377213.0.html

Over the last 8-10 years, this spot has given up 30+ silver coins, all pre-1855. :o I was able to manage an 1850 halfdime and the gold bar on Friday and yesterday I scored the 1830 halfdime. It was such an amazing feeling, I think my hands shook for 30 minutes :laughing7: Most guys would probably not be kind enough to have me come out to a spot like this, so I'm very grateful Matt. Thanks a million :notworthy:

Short video of the coin​

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG IMG_0019.JPG

Unknown brass, piece on left has a "C" still visible :dontknow:
IMG_0008.JPG

I think the soldier who had the center Enfield bullet was missing his wife :laughing9:
IMG_0010.JPG

Possibly the same guy got ahold of this piece of lead ::)
IMG_0015.JPG

Odd looking bullet Post-war?
IMG_0013.JPG

All of yesterday's (non-ferrous) finds​
IMG_0016.JPG

Finds from both Friday and yesterday​
IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

Upvote 0

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Finally!!

Nice coin ... congrats ! :thumbsup:
H .

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other

congrats on the capped bust, Jeff.
those little guys are great fun to find.
i'm still looking for that draped bust silver, though...

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's fantastic Jeff! I still haven't found a capped bust silver yet, and I've been detecting for 25 years :dontknow:
I did manage to find a draped bust silver this past year though ;D

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Wow, now those are some great finds! Especially the gold bar! :headbang: Great job!!

Ray

peanut

Apr 19, 2009
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a lot of fun! And it was my pleasure taking you out there. Don't forget about me going to Virginia with ya!
And thanks again for the good deal on the detector. It's guys like you and I that don't let the green eyed monster of greed ruin our friendship and our detecting. You be safe over there and good luck to ya, :laughing7: like I need to wish you luck!
Your friend,
peanut

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's all?? :dontknow:

Just kidding. Great finds, I'm soooo jealous!! :notworthy:

In 50 years, the oldest I've ever got was a holed 1856 half-dime. :-\

Congrats.

Eagle

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what Im talking about! Anyday you put a Capped Bust halfdime in the pouch is a great day! Its funny, all the $100s and $1000 finds you and I found and the firsts you dug last year with me but not one single Capped Bust :icon_scratch: :dontknow: ;D Its just one of those things about metal detecting! :laughing9: Congratulations on a great hunt and a fantastic way to represent down there and sweet way to end the Year!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a sweet site those are in the dirt. Managed to dig a couple capped half dimes myself, and I will never forget either one of them. Congrats Jeff. :icon_thumright:

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well Jeff songrats on finally reaching that milestone Congrats a million! And she is a beauty!! Ive only found one they are hard to come by WTG Brotha! :notworthy: :headbang: :hello2: :hello:

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

dwayne sueño said:
congrats on the capped bust, Jeff.
those little guys are great fun to find.
i'm still looking for that draped bust silver, though...

Aren't we all ;D That would be a real dream... 2012 :headbang:

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Steve in PA said:
That's fantastic Jeff! I still haven't found a capped bust silver yet, and I've been detecting for 25 years :dontknow:
I did manage to find a draped bust silver this past year though ;D

That Draped Bust was sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.. this is the year for the Capped Bust for you :thumbsup:

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

peanut said:
That was a lot of fun! And it was my pleasure taking you out there. Don't forget about me going to Virginia with ya!
And thanks again for the good deal on the detector. It's guys like you and I that don't let the green eyed monster of greed ruin our friendship and our detecting. You be safe over there and good luck to ya, :laughing7: like I need to wish you luck!
Your friend,
peanut

Again, that was very kind of you to take me to a spot where you knew there was a possibility of finding coins like that, hunted out or not.. We will certainly be traveling to VA to hunt with Sentinel one of these days :thumbsup:

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

EagleDown said:
That's all?? :dontknow:

Just kidding. Great finds, I'm soooo jealous!! :notworthy:

In 50 years, the oldest I've ever got was a holed 1856 half-dime. :-\

Congrats.

Eagle

keep goin, you'll get one! HH this year

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

{Sentinel} said:
That's what Im talking about! Anyday you put a Capped Bust halfdime in the pouch is a great day! Its funny, all the $100s and $1000 finds you and I found and the firsts you dug last year with me but not one single Capped Bust :icon_scratch: :dontknow: ;D Its just one of those things about metal detecting! :laughing9: Congratulations on a great hunt and a fantastic way to represent down there and sweet way to end the Year!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

was a lot of holes we dug at very early sites to not see one of those in the dirt :dontknow: lookin forward to our own DIV in 2012 :headbang: :headbang:

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

hwking01 said:
SUPER DIGGS :headbang:

thanks!

mainer said:
What a sweet site those are in the dirt. Managed to dig a couple capped half dimes myself, and I will never forget either one of them. Congrats Jeff. :icon_thumright:

Thanks mainer, got out just in time.. we could use your snow crew out here today :laughing7: Good luck this year :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread