Finally got back to the old homestead Warning: Lots of pictures!!

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
Well after waiting since the fall I was finally able to get back to what appears to be an old homestead although you will see something in the pictures that suggests it was something else. This site is in the middle of the woods and unfortunately I will not be going back. While coming out of the woods I saw the signs that said it was water company property. Oops.

Enjoy the pics

Attachments

• Foundation.JPG
    Foundation.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 2,147
  • other side.JPG
    other side.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 2,098
  • hinged door.JPG
    hinged door.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 2,107
  • attachment.JPG
    attachment.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 2,101
  • closeup of top.JPG
    closeup of top.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 2,111
  • close up of thing.JPG
    close up of thing.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 2,108
  • unknown thing.JPG
    unknown thing.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 2,115
  • items on ground inside foundation.JPG
    items on ground inside foundation.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 2,141
  • view from above the stairs.JPG
    view from above the stairs.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 2,134
  • Stairs from the side.JPG
    Stairs from the side.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 2,143
  • Stair 1.JPG
    Stair 1.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 2,141
  • foundation in the background.JPG
    foundation in the background.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 2,148
Upvote 0
OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
ok more pics of the site as well as my finds. There were a lot more items including a 2 person saw blade and and a ton of other iron relics that I just didn't want to carry.

Enjoy and thanks for looking!!!

Attachments

• us silver co fork.JPG
    us silver co fork.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 2,067
  • more odds and ends.JPG
    more odds and ends.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 2,081
  • odds and ends.JPG
    odds and ends.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 2,081
  • top to bottom.JPG
    top to bottom.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 2,083
  • top of fork.JPG
    top of fork.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 2,064

RelicRick

Aug 29, 2006
Jockey Hollow
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My God man...go ask permission from the Water Co. to get back in there!

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
I think that machine has to do with the fact that there was a nickle mine near there. I did find some melted glass so that foundations could have been some sort of a smelter or something along those lines.

There appeared to be more areas where foundations could have been but digging was a little tough because the ground was still a little frozen as evidenced by the snow on the ground in one of the pictures.

S

seger98

Yeah, I'd be looking for permission to hunt that spot, ok what is that thing? Still? water boiler? Neat post & nice photos.

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
I have no idea what that thing is nor how it got there. There doesn't appear to be wheels on it, it is not in a spring or near a spring although a little way back there is a brook.

We were there for about 3 hours and man did the time fly. On the very far end towards the main road (you can't see in the pics) there is a cemetery with burials dating to the 1700's. I did not take any pictures in there but spent about 20 minutes to a half hour looking at the stones.

This property boarders my co-workers farm and I have permission to hunt there. The field was deafeningly quiet. Only did the outside row as the old corn stalks are still there and it wasn't easy to swing.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a potential spot for more finds, I would be going back. The finds you posted are pretty dang good finds.

:wink: RR

fireman7115

Jan 14, 2008
arkansas
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Looks like you found a couple of triggers. Wonder if the rest of the guns are out there somewhere.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking site! I would ask permission. At least find out if the Water company is public or private. Nice pics and HH, Mike

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
Thanks everyone. My mailman delivers to a guy down the street that works for the water company. He said that the next time he saw the guy he would ask about it.

In the mean time, I have been trying to find the information on line. I don't want to just cold call because I would likely then get a no.

I do know that there had been archeologists there a few years ago but I guess they didn't find much.

So that is my problem.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Take a couple of apple pies and some corned beef and cabbage with you, when you go ask permission........NGE

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
that thing with the two wheels is the steam engine. the two wheels would have had leather belts running off to power a water pump,rock crusher,generator for lights, etc. if you look close at the bottom between the wheels you will notice the shaft is actually a crankshaft. the two holes into the back were for steam lines or pipes. my dad would have gone nuts and had me carry it out.

he was a stationary engineer and loved old steam engines and trains. he used to tell me all about the steam engines on the shipwrecks we dove. definately get back in there if possible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread