Found a colonial log cabin? *UPDATE

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I ventured into the woods today on a mission. I had been doing some research on a potential site of a very early log cabin. Early being 1730ish! There is some local lore about this cabin and it's occupant (trying not to give away too much info here) and I figured I would take a shot at finding it. I had a general idea of where the cabin was located and it is in a very tough to access area. The only way to get there was to approach it from the opposite side of the mountain and hike down into the notch between two peaks to the area in question. It was a steep climb up the mountain but it was do-able. Of course I wasn't carrying any equipment either! I left the detector at home since this was merely a search mission. After descending into the notch I noticed a small pool of water ahead of me which was a natural spring. I knew this would have been a likely area for a cabin since a water source would have been required. As I approached the spring I was able to see some rocks placed in a small wall where the water actually came out of the mountain side. This was a good clue. Someone had definitely used this spring to get water and these rocks had been placed there a very long time ago. I started to survey the area knowing that the cabin would likely be close by. There were a few flat spots around and I began to check each one for any signs of a cabin. Then as I reached one of the larger flat areas I saw something. There were the remains of a couple very old logs that were piled on top of each other at a 90 degree angle and as I got closer still I could see that they were notched and set into place! YES, this was the corner of a very old log cabin! Almost nothing was left but I could see a very faint outline of the footprint of the old cabin in the form of a slight mound where the logs had deteriorated. It looked to be about 10' X 12' (approx). There was no sign of any iron in the structure such as nails or pins. There was no evidence of roofing material (asphalt singles, tar paper). At this point I'm thinking I have found this long lost cabin of local lore but I would like to know what your opinions are. The question that keeps popping into my mind is: Could these logs really have survived 250+ years? Can they really be that old? I'd like to think so. I will certainly be visiting the area again soon armed with my metal detector. Hopefully I will find definitive evidence that tells me the age of the site. I'll keep you posted.......

Attachments

• cabin.JPG
    cabin.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 2,345
Upvote 0
S

seger98

Re: Found a colonial log cabin?

Great research & congratulations on finding the site, looks like it could have some great potential. I don't know if the logs would survive that long, I mean, if that corner is still there, why wouldn't the others be there too? :icon_scratch: But good luck when you get back there!

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006

This is a tough one. Every time I go detecting in the woods I come across pine stumps that were cut 150 years ago. But at the same time there were trees cut in the woods behind my house in the early 1950's that are rotted away so much, you wouldn't know where they had been felled. My opinion is that what you found is not 250 years old since they would have been in contact with damp soil and would rot quickly.

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other

Sounds like you're on quite an adventure. It's great following a lead and having it pay off. Hopefully, this will produce something for you when you go back with your machine.

Not sure if those logs could be 250 years old. But, hey, someone put them there. So, the place definitely saw some activity at one point.

Good luck,

Keep us posted on how you make out.

Brian in MA

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW, Great Research :thumbsup:

Great story and great hunt, I think there are too many variables to determine the age.

Can't wait for you to go back and update us.

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Very possible that it may be just an old trapper or hunting cabin. but it is old for sure and i would detect it and hopefully your relics will date the site for you.

Nova Treasure

OP
OP
incajoe

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

lumbercamp said:
This is a tough one. Every time I go detecting in the woods I come across pine stumps that were cut 150 years ago. But at the same time there were trees cut in the woods behind my house in the early 1950's that are rotted away so much, you wouldn't know where they had been felled. My opinion is that what you found is not 250 years old since they would have been in contact with damp soil and would rot quickly.

What if the logs I've found were actually the top edge of the wall and as the bottom logs that were in contact with the ground rotted it slowly sank down to the level it is at now? Feasible?

S

seger98

incajoe said:
lumbercamp said:

What if the logs I've found were actually the top edge of the wall and as the bottom logs that were in contact with the ground rotted it slowly sank down to the level it is at now? Feasible?

I doubt it would happen that way, that would mean the wall came straight down as it rotted, I would think it would have all fallen apart if you go with that theory. JMO

OP
OP
incajoe

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

seger98 said:
incajoe said:
lumbercamp said:

I doubt it would happen that way, that would mean the wall came straight down as it rotted, I would think it would have all fallen apart if you go with that theory. JMO

Maybe that's why it is only this one section that's left. The rest of it fell apart and rotted and this is the only section that stayed upright? I agree it's unlikely but it's not impossible.

I'll know more when I dig up some artifacts from the area.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just hunt it and see!!!! :o And I'll add this.... I've found that a lot of times when the original house became unlivable, another would be built in its place..or very nearby on the same property by later generations. Possible that this bit of structure left could have been built a tad later but still be the site you are looking for?

Can't wait to see what you find!! :o

Nana :)

John987

Jan 13, 2009
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Compass X-80 Challenger, Yukon 77B Professional

CongratulationS on finding this site. No matter what it turns out to be , it looks like you have a very undisturbed area to detect. If it were me, I would think about camping out at the site and giving it a good long search maybe over a weekend. Any wild animals in the area that you would have to worry about? I would also investigate where the water flows from the mountain. Maybe something is tucked away behind those rocks.
John from Upstate NY

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300

John987 said:
CongratulationS on finding this site. No matter what it turns out to be , it looks like you have a very undisturbed area to detect. If it were me, I would think about camping out at the site and giving it a good long search maybe over a weekend. Any wild animals in the area that you would have to worry about? I would also investigate where the water flows from the mountain. Maybe something is tucked away behind those rocks.
John from Upstate NY

yeah...like GOLD!!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I believe you have found the corner of a split rail fence. Nothing more.

Now--let me put this point to you...

You should always carry your equipment. Because most likely, a cabin from 1730 is going to be gone without a trace. You *Might* be able to see some sign--depending on whether or not it had a cellar hole, but many Very early cabins did not have cellars. You might be able to see some broken glass by kicking up the leaves, but then again what you see at the very early sites is an absence of brick and glass. Plus, that's a lot of kicking.

What you need is to have your detector with you, turned on, and discrimination low enough to hear Iron.

When you hear iron, you may have found your site.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Only finds will tell the tale! That forest looks like a nice place to detect without so much clutter on the ground. There should also be some kind of outhouse and a trash pit if that really was a cabin. Can't believe you didn't take the detector. Good luck and let us know what you find. HH, Mike

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008

yep go back with your tecta then well have a range on the date. awesome looking spot. willy.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree with Buckle on the fence idea. The end of the log is sawn, 1730's would more likely have been done with an axe.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

It seems like a lot of work to be a fence. I agree a small corral, but still who builds a solid fence.
It's a lot of work to notch out the timber, and cutting the trees. I would say a structure of some sorts.

I've seen log structures from the gold rush era to be around still, the walls standing a few feet on many sides.
(granted this is much earlier site)
Then again the elements play a huge roll in what survives on or in the ground ;D

The area looks like carpet to detect though, It's like Buckleboy said " Always carry the equipment"
Many a great find has been made just walking with the detector turned on, going in a straight line. :thumbsup:
Best of luck on your return trip, and the first hunt.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not making any guesses on date but the missing timber might have been taken away & used else where. May not have rotted. Just another theory, that no-ones said yet.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero

I agree this does not look like a log cabin. Certainly not from colonial times. But, on the bright side, there should be an old homestead somewhere close by. Now get out there and find it.
Randy

OP
OP
incajoe

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Re: Found a colonial log cabin? *MORE PICS ADDED

Buckles O'Malley said:
I believe you have found the corner of a split rail fence. Nothing more.

Now--let me put this point to you...

You should always carry your equipment. Because most likely, a cabin from 1730 is going to be gone without a trace. You *Might* be able to see some sign--depending on whether or not it had a cellar hole, but many Very early cabins did not have cellars. You might be able to see some broken glass by kicking up the leaves, but then again what you see at the very early sites is an absence of brick and glass. Plus, that's a lot of kicking.

What you need is to have your detector with you, turned on, and discrimination low enough to hear Iron.

When you hear iron, you may have found your site.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

I can see why you would say that but if you saw the site you would instantly know that it is a cabin. Like I said you can see the footprint of the cabin with slightly raised mounds where the wall once stood. There is a slight amount of wood left on the ground where the opposite corner was too.

As for why I didn't take the metal detector.....easy, it's at Minelab getting repaired. I think I'm going to borrow a detector from my father and go check this place out next week (earliest I can do it) because the suspense is killing me.

Here are some more pics. Notice the axe marks on the logs and in the last one you can just barely see the mound of dirt where the wall was running vertically down the left side of the frame.

PS. Another theory: maybe the original cabin was rebuilt at a later point (1800's) and this is the remains of that cabin?

Attachments

• cabin 2.JPG
    cabin 2.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 1,848
  • cabin 3.JPG
    cabin 3.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 1,857
  • cabin 4.JPG
    cabin 4.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 1,828
  • cabin 5.JPG
    cabin 5.JPG