Finally got back to the old homestead Warning: Lots of pictures!!

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
Well after waiting since the fall I was finally able to get back to what appears to be an old homestead although you will see something in the pictures that suggests it was something else. This site is in the middle of the woods and unfortunately I will not be going back. While coming out of the woods I saw the signs that said it was water company property. Oops.

Enjoy the pics

Attachments

• Foundation.JPG
    Foundation.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 2,148
  • foundation in the background.JPG
    foundation in the background.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 2,149
  • Stair 1.JPG
    Stair 1.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 2,142
  • Stairs from the side.JPG
    Stairs from the side.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 2,144
  • view from above the stairs.JPG
    view from above the stairs.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 2,135
  • items on ground inside foundation.JPG
    items on ground inside foundation.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 2,142
  • unknown thing.JPG
    unknown thing.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 2,116
  • close up of thing.JPG
    close up of thing.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 2,109
  • closeup of top.JPG
    closeup of top.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 2,112
  • attachment.JPG
    attachment.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 2,102
  • hinged door.JPG
    hinged door.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 2,108
  • other side.JPG
    other side.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 2,099
Upvote 0

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lafatlife,

Being female has nothing to do with not understanding 100 year old engines. If you have never seen one you wouldn't know what it is. And yes, oldhippy is talking about the pyramid shaped thing with the two wheel looking things on it.

It is very likely the big thing, the steam boiler, was cut open to prevent it's being fired up again. Old riveted, iron boilers can be very dangerous. They tend to explode if the person operating it doesn't know what they are doing.

When they are operated regularly and kept wet, with water in them, they hold up pretty good. But, take the water out and let air get to that old metal and it starts rotting rather quickly.

And those things that you are calling wheels are not wheels in the sense you are using the term. They are flywheels. Not made to transport the thing. It is sitting upside down in your photos. It would normally sit on the square base that is pointed up. The flywheels are there to keep the engine running between the cylinders firing. Each piston, two of them, must go up and down four times for each time they fire and produce energy. They cylinders fire alternately, so there are at least two up and down strokes of each piston between each piston firing. Something needs to keep the crankshaft turning while that is going on. The heavy flywheels provide circular motion to the shaft while we are waiting for the pistons to add more energy to the process.

One of the flywheels may have had a belt on it to use the power from the engine to drive something else.If this was a mining operation there likely was a hammer mill there to break up rock to extract what ever was being mined from it.

My guess would be that when who ever abandoned it, they neutralized it by cutting out a big enough piece so that repairing it would be impractical. Or, it was cut open for a major repair and found not worth repairing. I'd go with the first option here.

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
Mac, thanks for the explanation. Now I can see how it would work. I didn't realize it was upside down.

There is no doubt in my mind that they destroyed it on purpose because I just don't see how they would have gotten it out of there. Heck, I don't know how they even got it in there unless it was built there.

There is an old road of sorts that I followed for a bit as i mentioned but I didn't follow it to the end as it rounded a corner and I was way out of site of my friend. I supposed it could have been pulled on something by oxen.

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
:( Bad news everyone. I finally got a hold of the water company and the VP said no to detecting. He said it would be a liability issue and it is a watershed area.

That was it for the conversation. BUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bummer I have been watching your post to see what happens. Usually water companys are easy to get along with. I am sure the person you talked with was clueless and just stating company policy. If they were worried about a water shed they would clean up the rusted things on the surface,,lol. Better luck next time.

TnMountains

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
cool is that an old steam thresher?

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
TnMountains said:
Bummer I have been watching your post to see what happens. Usually water companys are easy to get along with. I am sure the person you talked with was clueless and just stating company policy. If they were worried about a water shed they would clean up the rusted things on the surface,,lol. Better luck next time.

TnMountains

I agree but in order for me to tell them that I saw that, it would acknowledge that I trespassed on their property. Don't want to get arrested!!

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I see no valves,spark plugs or spark plug holes. there had to be a way to fire the cylinders if it were a gas engine.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
in the first pictures, the foundation with the foundation in the middle, could be a blacksmith shop.
the inside foundation could be a part of a forge

Layne

Feb 3, 2009
What you have found appears to be a Temple Wizzard engine. Pictures and info here: http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36430
This is an extremely exciting find as any engine of the inverted vertical is extremely rare and desirable, even more so for a 2 cylinder. Restoration will be long and hard as all the moving parts are now underground, and zero parts will be available. Welcome to another obsession.

95.jpg

Layne

Feb 3, 2009
Personally I would stop at nothing to get the engine (but I'm crazy). At the very least please do this: find a local tractor and engine club (they are everywhere, trust me there is one within 50 miles). Give them the pictures and tell them to go to the water company and say that a friend of a friend was hunting or cutting trees or whatever and passed along the picture. They can explain that they are interested in preserving this old stuff, and very often people will donate these things to them. They should have enough members with trucks and chains to haul it back to their showgrounds and at least if it won't be restored it can be saved from scrapping.

Preserving history is everyone's obligation! They will never make machinery like that agiain.

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
Layne, I really wish I could. I would love to go back but they told me no. I understand that it is a water shed and don't want anyone in there but where I wish to go is no where near water except for a brook. If I take the pictures with me and show them, then I risk getting in trouble for trespassing as there are signs posted. I am at a loss on this one.

Ironically, there are people there cutting trees down in the area I wish to hunt. Go figure.

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO
MY GOD, WHAT GREAT PICS INDEED :thumbsup: SUPER

I LOVE THOSE KIND OF PLACES, JUST FULL OF RELICS AROUND..... :icon_king:

GO BACK AND STAKE A CLAIM ON THAT GOLD MINE,, GREAT JOB..... :icon_sunny:

KEEPA DIGGIN

MLHUDSON

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread