FINALLY!

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They weren't CWR that I could tell. They were pretty tightly and professional looking rolls, weird thing was they didn't say "Garda" or "Dunbar", they had an address from somewhere in PA printed on the rolls? I will look into sending an acquaintance in for me to grab more. Had a nice talk with the manager at another bank this morning, she was really friendly and gave me 380 worth. She said I can pop in whenever I want to get some of what they have on hand.

I think that the rolls you got are NF String & Son rolls. I occasionally get these in place of loomis rolls. Not sure why it happens... HH!!!!

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck with your box! Im guessing u just found your first Ben now? lol

Hey thank you all for the replies! Nope didn't find a Ben unfortunately, but did find a really nice 1964-D and a 1974-S! Also found what almost looks like a double die 1972-D but the doubling doesn't seem to be where it is described in the places I have researched which is on the "WE TRUST", seems it is on the face along Kennedy's neck and nose, maybe this is common and I just don't know it, my next purchase will be a loupe, if anyone has a preference of a nice one let me know, may as well check for errors while I'm at it. Here are the other two finds from today!

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
That's really good that your first 3 silver finds are 2 Walkers & a '64 Ken. And that proof coin looks like it still has a nice mirror finish on it too. I found a '73S in my last box but it doesn't have any of its mirror finish left. If your date checking don't forget to check for no FG's. I found an '82P no FG earlier this year. Unfortunately it's in low grade condition so the owner of my LCS said its only worth about $5. I believe its the '72D no FG's that are the key dates.

Good luck and HH!

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am date checking everything so I will keep my eyes peeled for the "no FG" coins. I have been doing a lot of reading on coin errors and there seems to be a ton of them, almost too many to absorb. Are you guys ever able to pick out the double die coins with the naked eye or does it always require magnification? Silverface- How much would that "no FG" have been worth if it was in better shape?

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Silverface- How much would that "no FG" have been worth if it was in better shape?

The owner of my LCS said it was too bad that my '82P no FG wasn't in better condition because if it was in nicer condition it could be worth about $15-$20 or more. Im assuming he meant around VF/XF+ condition. He offered my $3 for mine but I just decided to keep it. But I believe only certain no FG dates have value. He got out his cherry pickers guide book and the '82P no FG's were in the book. I remember finding some '81P no FG's a couple of years ago and I asked him about those too but he said that date wasn't in his book so Im not sure if they have much if any value, but Im holding on to them anyway - at least till I find out for sure. Different errors or varieties of some coins might have value to some collectors regardless of what the general consensus of the experts might be. A lot of daily ebay auction sales sure proves that lol.

Last edited:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL Who remembers BJ and the bear? Or - the Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo?

I believe this on is the movie (don't remember which one) that Dean Martin dips his hand into the spittoon to get the coin for a drink. That's his boots that you see by the spittoon.
bottlecap, GREAT finds. Keep at it. I'm just starting some CRHing and am envious of your finds!!

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bottlecap, I don't know if this might interest you or not. I bought a little USB microscope a few days ago. I find it VERY useful to check the small details on coins. I can see Lincoln pretty clearly sitting in the Lincoln Memorial on the reverse of the pennies. Also, I can put a picture on my desk top and then enlarge it a whole bunch. I bought the 40x to 200x; but ordered the 40x to 800x a few days ago. They are cheap, cheap. Like around $25 to $30. A lot depends on just how much time you want to spend on a coin. I go through them pretty fast until I find one that I think might be one that I might want to keep. Then I use the microscope to look closely at it.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe this on is the movie (don't remember which one) that Dean Martin dips his hand into the spittoon to get the coin for a drink. That's his boots that you see by the spittoon. bottlecap, GREAT finds. Keep at it. I'm just starting some CRHing and am envious of your finds!!

Rio Bravo from 1959 directed by Howard Hawks and starring John Wayne, Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson, Angie Dickinson & Walter Brennan. The guy flipping the silver dollar in the spittoon is Claude Akins. And yes, bottlecap is sure starting off on a coin roll lol.

Oh and I forgot, actually I think Sheriff John T. Chance (John Wayne) kicks the spittoon away from his buddy Dude (Dean Martin) before he has a chance (no pun intended lol) to get the silver dollar.

Last edited:

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Your first AG, and it had to be a Walker. What luck, some guys go years without finding one. Also, I suggest date check all coins for badly stained 40% that could be overlooked.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Rio Bravo from 1959 directed by Howard Hawks and starring John Wayne, Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson, Angie Dickinson & Walter Brennan. The guy flipping the silver dollar in the spittoon is Claude Akins. And yes, bottlecap is sure starting off on a coin roll lol. Oh and I forgot, actually I think Sheriff John T. Chance (John Wayne) kicks the spittoon away from his buddy Dude (Dean Martin) before he has a chance (no pun intended lol) to get the silver dollar.
yes it is! ~ Claude Akins ~ aka Sheriff Lobo.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys! Hope the streak continues today, got 370 in halves to pick through tonight. I'll share this story from today. I stopped at a bank in my travels today where I don't have an account, I walked up to the teller and asked if she had any halves she could sell me, before I even finished my sentence she said, " YES we have 320 dollars worth", when she came back with the halves(only took her about 10 seconds) I asked, "how the heck did you know how many you had off the top of your head?", she replied, " I am the one who is in charge of them and these ones have been sitting here for a LONG, LONG time", first for me, it was almost like she was just waiting to unload those suckers. O.k., time to get down to business and find some silver...I hope.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Guys, I'll admit, I ain't never seen the movie and I didn't realize that was a spitoon. I just found that GIF one time, bookmarked it and waited to put it on this page. I've watched more John Wayne movies than most people but I ain't seen that one.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Sure makes us as just plain folks in other parts of the country happy for you. Glad you were able to pull some real silver coins out of the rolls you got. As far as paying for boxes so far not yet here in Arizona. I get Bank of America to get me 4 boxes a week without anything more than an occasional box of donuts, cookies or hot fudge sundaes. Actually paying the $7.50 per box might be cheaper!!:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread