First gold find. Spanish?

Auby

Jul 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_2015-07-15-03-05-54.png Screenshot_2015-07-15-02-43-44.png Howdy folks, this is my first post on treasure.net and it is an exciting one for me! Today was a long day but worth it for my first real find and It just so happened to be gold! I am a novice hunter and received a bounty hunter gold digger for my 26 birthday. I originally wanted a garrett ace 250 but had to settle for a lower end model. But I am inclined to say that the gold digger works fantastic for the price! Heck it found gold on my third trip out! I decided to research old parks in the area and found an old park with spanish roots. I figured this place would be a good one to start with for coin hunting as Id done some beach combing with no luck already. I started out near the big trees in the park and immediately got coin sigals. To my suprise most of the day revolved around pulling pennies out of the ground, many were broke in half which was strange to me. The gold diggers trash discrimination seems to work very good for me as I had it turned all the way up. I pulled minimal trash and bottlecaps mostly just pennies pennies pennies! The dirt and grass in the area was an easy dig so I was able to hit many targets and even without a pin pointer I was able to dig my finds fairly quickly. 3 hours passed and with a few dirty looks and annoying comments from passerbys and nerds on their segways I hadn't much to show for the naysayers of the dog park club and the concerned citizen committee even though I dig neatly and fill in all my holes. I was starting to get a little discouraged but I knew this park had to have something worthwhile in it. And then lo and behold as if It were placed there by whatever spirits felt pity for me and my pile of clad there appeared in my hole what looked to be at first a piece lf gold foil and then I pulled it out and was a bit confused at what I saw... the strange part was that I wasnt really confused at all, I knew I found something awesome, old, and judging by the numbers 999.9 baby it was gold! I have never felt a rush compared to this before. The Ill sentiments I felt towards the passerbys who annoyed me with the repeated curiousty of why a grown man was digging in the dirt quickly changed into me wanting to tell someone... anyone. About my first gold find! But instead I decided to put it in my pocket and put my headphones back on and keep digging for more! Hours went by and I must have dug 50 holes in that park, I had gold fever and wanted to find more but alas the gold was to be my find of the day and Im not complaining. I took my headphones off and walked back to my truck with a smile on my face and a piece of sunshine in my pocket. Now it was time to inspect the goods... the cache of clad I pulled out of the ground consisted of mostly pennies that were so weathered most were unrecognizable a few nickels and dimes, no quarters at all! A few Budweiser caps and pull tabs, one bathroom token, a broken knife, a long piece of steel and some rusted metal. But then there was the angel who blessed my journey and made it all worthwhile, a gold pendant with an angel or a saint on the front with the numbers 999.9. Slightly bent and twisted but shiny and beautiful nonetheless. I was proud of myself my little machine and my mother who gave it to me, she was born on christmas so shes a bit of an angel herself :) thats why my first find is so significant to me and though Im curious to know how much its worth I dont plan on ever selling it. I am curious to hear everyones opinion on what it might be and how old it Is. Judging from the parks history and its spanish roots I dont think its crazy to assume that it could be pretty old. The park dates back to the 1700 hundreds so im really curious about this! Also Id like to know who the angel Is on the front. Could it be the virgin mary or saint christopher? Anyhow very exciting first find for me and I will cherish it and the memory of finding it forever. Have a great day everyone, happy hunting, and enjoy this wonderful hobby! 20150714_214554.jpg 20150714_224236.jpg 20150714_224340.jpg Screenshot_2015-07-15-02-43-44.png 20150715_025215.jpg Screenshot_2015-07-15-03-05-54.png

Last edited:
Upvote 10

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the hobby and to T-net! It's addicting isn't it? Sounds like you did everything that makes a successful treasure hunter. You did research, took your time, and most importantly you ignored all those "concerned citizens" in your quest for riches. :laughing7: It clearly has paid off with a nice piece of solid gold! That's a bullion charm. These are usually worth just a little over their weight in gold. Most probably from the later part of the 20th century. Not very often people find gold bullion in the park. Finding pure 999% gold is very rare even for the well seasoned treasure hunter! :treasurechest::thumbsup:

OP
OP
A

Auby

Jul 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the hobby and to T-net! It's addicting isn't it? Sounds like you did everything that makes a successful treasure hunter. You did research, took your time, and most importantly you ignored all those "concerned citizens" in your quest for riches. :laughing7: It clearly has paid off with a nice piece of solid gold! That's a bullion charm. These are usually worth just a little over their weight in gold. Most probably from the later part of the 20th century. Not very often people find gold bullion in the park. Finding pure 999% gold is very rare even for the well seasoned treasure hunter! :treasurechest::thumbsup:

Super addicting... the only reason im still awake is because I cannot sleep with the excitement of going out again tommorow! Thanks for sharing that bit of info on my find, very interesting. I wonder where it came from?

OP
OP
A

Auby

Jul 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Updated pictures after I cleaned her off! Weighs in right at 1.0. Took a picture of her next to the machine that found her. I still hope to get my ace 250 soon but this worked great in the meantime! Maybe it can inspire anyone using a lower end detector to see that you can indeed find something really awesome. It seems to be not what you have but rather where you look... still can't wait for an upgrade though :)

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can I see a picture of the back ?

This is not Spanish...

It is a "guardian angel" IMO.

OP
OP
A

Auby

Jul 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can I see a picture of the back ?

This is not Spanish...

It is a "guardian angel" IMO.

20150715_034108.jpg 20150715_034119.jpg not much to see on the back unfortunately and I dont think it can be cleaned. Front looks great though, really shiny and reminds me of mom :) my real guardian angel! This will probably be my favorite find... couldnt have asked for a better first!

OP
OP
A

Auby

Jul 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curiouser and curiouser. It does seem to be a guardian angel but do you still think its old? Ive done some googling and nothing has come up that matches it exactly but I guess it could be possible that it may not actually be as old as I thought. Got my fingers crossed that it has some age to it and really is a golden oldie. I want to know more!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the "top layer" is gold...
Placed on base metal back.
Was part of something...
OR
Could be a heavy plate of pure gold.

Hard to say...
I would have to loop it.

OP
OP
A

Auby

Jul 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the "top layer" is gold...
Placed on base metal back.
Was part of something...
OR
Could be a heavy plate of pure gold.

Hard to say...
I would have to loop it.
if you think it was part of something, what is your guess as to what that something might have been? Obviously its not a necklace piece because there is no hole. I checked all around where I found it and found nothing but more pennys do you think there could possibly be additional pieces to find?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Auby

Jul 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20150715_042043.jpg side angle... not sure if that helps

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
After looking at the picture of the back I suspect it's some other metal with a thin plating of gold on the front. Was likely glued or soldered to something else at one point. Just my thoughts on this. Hopefully I'm wrong and it's solid gold with a trace amount of solder on the back. My suggestion would be to take it to a jeweler and have it checked. The side view looks like the back metal is pretty thick. Don't quit your day job..

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the addiction! Congratulations on the nice gold find, I hope that park has more surprises for you.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Zee

Oct 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Infinium, Garrett Pro Pointer(x2), 30" Bazooka Prospector, Scuba Gear
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find for starting out! It took me quite a few years of detecting to find my first gold....Gold is gold and its hard to beat the feeling when you find a nice little piece! Keep at it there's more out there!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T Net!
That is an awesome find! It is rare to find anything 999% pure! Congrats! The angels were watching over you for sure!
Since the back looks different it may have been the center insert in a pendant, that would explain no chain.

Excellent first gold find! You are doing great with your bounty hunter.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice write-up, well written and interesting. Congrats on your first good find! It appears to have been part of a brooch or pendant and is a thin layer of gold laminated to a base metal. It does not appear to be Spanish. I would guess it's not older than the 70s, but it is still a wonderful find, especially for your third trip out. Display it proudly.

Ignore the stupid comments from the "concerned citizens committee"--I think we've all been subject to people with way too much time on their hands or a propensity to always involve themselves in other people's business. I certainly have had my share. Many people will also be curious and nice, but ask questions. If they ask if you've found anything good, best reply is "nah, just a couple of pennies so far" as some will be other detectorists attempting to find out if it's a good site.

The pennies that appear broken in half are the modern zinc cents that tend to disintegrate in the ground (sad, but true), just wash them put them in a jar for a rainy day :laughing7:

If you have found an old park, there will most likely still be old coins and relics there, so keep at it. Slow down, and really listen for the signals. I'm not sure how much depth you get on that Bounty Hunter, but I'm sure you'll start to find wheat cents and silver if not even older coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread