First Half Dollar Box

Miroku

Mar 24, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
So I bought my first half dollar box today from my companies supply at brinks. I know it probably wasn't the best move but I couldn't find any at my branch and this was the only place I could buy them. It was a skunk and made me pretty sad :( I don't know whether to buy another box or to give up on the half dollars. Most videos I see are either old or people finding good stuff at banks.

Upvote 0

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They arent all winners sadly :P

I picked up 4 boxes earlier, went through them all, and on my very last roll out of the whole 4 boxes, I got a 1943 Walker in amazing shape!!! Persistance pays off sometimes

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin_collection.gif
Unfortunately, looks like you now have the bug - you will go back for ONE MORE TRY Miroku!
killingme.gif

OP
OP
Miroku

Miroku

Mar 24, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I just ordered another :)
I told myself with this one not to expect anything, was hoping for just a single silver though. I figured they all can't be winners but it seems like Chase and TCU can't order half dollars which leaves me ordering through Wells Fargo/Brinks. The Garda drivers that deliver the stuff said as far as they know they don't remove the silver from their boxes but I just can't be sure. I will try another because I can just dump the halves into my local bank. :)

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you asked a garda driver if they remove silver?!?!?!

This hobby wont last too long if people keep talking about silver.

Secondly... why would you bother them? Ive heard of someone getting shot for getting too close to them... they are doing a job which involves protecting what they transporting...

Last edited:

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This hobby wont last too long if people keep talking about silver

Wow- I am as surprised as you- what I don't get it all the YouTube vids- which is how I actually found CRHing and then all these people just talking it up to tellers and such- if you want to find more silver keep your lips zipped- if you want to find less silver then tell the world

OP
OP
Miroku

Miroku

Mar 24, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I asked him because I work at a gas station and I do the stores money. He comes in 3x a week and he is the one who started me on silver so its not like I am spreading the word. I just never asked him if they removed it. It is a fun hobby and I am enjoying myself, just would be even better if I could find some. Ordered a second box so now I have 2 boxes coming on Wednesday.

OP
OP
Miroku

Miroku

Mar 24, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Besides the garda driver, my fiance, and the people on this website I haven't told anyone what I do. I don't want a million people in my area doing it. :)

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't want a million people in my area doing it. :)
No you don't, or your finds will drop to nil, banks will start cutting you off, you'll start getting boxes and boxes of repacks (already searched then reboxed, sealed and sent to you etc............
BTW Welcome to the forum and Good Luck!
agme

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah alright, I didnt know the context of how you talked to him, I guess I jumped the gun on it, my fault...

mr.landpirate

Dec 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got a box today, it's my sixth, today 4/40%, 1/90% and an 83S proof. Out of 6 boxs i've had only 2 skunks the others had 1 silver ea. Keep looking it's there. LP:skullflag:

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chase and if TCU is Tinker Credit Union, they can both order coins for you. Every Chase here has offered to order coins for me if i want, but they are for dumping to Loomis since i pick up from Brinks. If they are refusing to order they are just being not helpful and lazy. If TCU is some other credit union they may deal primarily with customer rolled change, in which case i would check with the main branch since that is where the little branches funnel excess coins too. GL and HH.

OP
OP
Miroku

Miroku

Mar 24, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info guys. I love roaming this forum. Seeing what other people get. It is Teacher's Credit Union, and they just don't order coins and I figured Chase was being lazy. The problem I have with Chase is that I know they look (Tellers) for silver and I am afraid if I order a box they will go through the halves and then rebox/reroll it. I am also afraid if I ask for a box and they are like we have a few that they are drop offs from another hunter. I figured if I buy from my store I can then take and deposit them in town. I don't think they will mix that badly. I was also thinking of taking a black marker and doing a line on the side of the halves, to track them. Would that be a good idea or not?

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info guys. I love roaming this forum. Seeing what other people get. It is Teacher's Credit Union, and they just don't order coins and I figured Chase was being lazy. The problem I have with Chase is that I know they look (Tellers) for silver and I am afraid if I order a box they will go through the halves and then rebox/reroll it. I am also afraid if I ask for a box and they are like we have a few that they are drop offs from another hunter. I figured if I buy from my store I can then take and deposit them in town. I don't think they will mix that badly. I was also thinking of taking a black marker and doing a line on the side of the halves, to track them. Would that be a good idea or not?
If it was me, I'd try ordering a few boxes from the Chase and give them a try. Tellers sometimes open boxes and look for enders but I don't think you'll find many/any that unroll then reroll them, maybe I'm wrong. A lot of coins are marked, some do it, others hate it. I don't mark, I don't believe it really ends up telling you much. JMO. Sorry, I just reread your post, if Chase said they can't order boxes, try stopping in there again later or at lunchtime or on the weekend when someone else may be running the place and you might get a different answer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Miroku

Miroku

Mar 24, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I will. I just have this feeling that someone will ruin my day! I keep thinking about them unrolling my coins and taking the silver and laughing at me!

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The chase banks around here order in bags instead of boxes. My friend got some from them, he said some bags were sealed some were not, so seemed hit and miss. But again this is why Chase is my dump bank lol, BoA doesn't care to search them.

RVA

Mar 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was me, I'd try ordering a few boxes from the Chase and give them a try. Tellers sometimes open boxes and look for enders but I don't think you'll find many/any that unroll then reroll them, maybe I'm wrong. A lot of coins are marked, some do it, others hate it. I don't mark, I don't believe it really ends up telling you much. JMO. Sorry, I just reread your post, if Chase said they can't order boxes, try stopping in there again later or at lunchtime or on the weekend when someone else may be running the place and you might get a different answer.

the lovely folks at my wells fargo take a razor blade down the side of each and every half roll they get, without compromising the crimps, then tape it back up with a little piece of scotch tape so itll hold together.

thanks guys.

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the lovely folks at my wells fargo take a razor blade down the side of each and every half roll they get, without compromising the crimps, then tape it back up with a little piece of scotch tape so itll hold together.

thanks guys.
Really? Wow. I get some of those boxes (always sealed, Brinks) and sometimes with loomis rolls in them, or a mix of rolls, and I always figured it was repacks that arrived at the bank that way.

OP
OP
Miroku

Miroku

Mar 24, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
So I got my two boxes today and got 6 40%. My fiance said waste of time but to me I smiled and am a happy man. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions