First Half Dollar Box

Miroku

Mar 24, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
So I bought my first half dollar box today from my companies supply at brinks. I know it probably wasn't the best move but I couldn't find any at my branch and this was the only place I could buy them. It was a skunk and made me pretty sad :( I don't know whether to buy another box or to give up on the half dollars. Most videos I see are either old or people finding good stuff at banks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Miroku

Miroku

Mar 24, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Bought 4 boxes. 2 Silvers. Still fun, but now I have too many halves sitting in my house XD

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep the boxes coming the silver will follow!!

OP
OP
Miroku

Miroku

Mar 24, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Well that's what I am hoping. :) Gotta dump these ones though. I have too many and the fiance won't let me buy anymore til these are gone. I am hoping to go tomorrow to my Teacher's Credit Union and dump them. They said they have a machine and it's free but I don't want to get in trouble for bring $1999 in halves to them.

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If I were you I would just take $1000 in first since you have never dumped there. If they seem completely cool with it then next time you can dump more. However it's your choice. Good Luck!

OP
OP
Miroku

Miroku

Mar 24, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I did and they were fine with it. They said people bring in a lot of change all the time. :D
My fiance said I can buy and swap 2 boxes a week, but that's my limit.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The boxes seem largely hit or miss, so hope you find one soon that has a few rolls of silver coins in it to keep your spark going =)

halfhunter

Jan 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I bought my first half dollar box today from my companies supply at brinks. I know it probably wasn't the best move but I couldn't find any at my branch and this was the only place I could buy them. It was a skunk and made me pretty sad :( I don't know whether to buy another box or to give up on the half dollars. Most videos I see are either old or people finding good stuff at banks.

I am 0 for my last $8K searched....

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I got my two boxes today and got 6 40%. My fiance said waste of time but to me I smiled and am a happy man. :)

Its when you start thinking SHE is a waste of time because she takes up too much time you sould be using to hunt for silver is when you know you have a problem!

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did and they were fine with it. They said people bring in a lot of change all the time. :D
My fiance said I can buy and swap 2 boxes a week, but that's my limit.

Look at it this way, now you can take all that wedding money you would have spent and up your CRH bankroll!

OP
OP
Miroku

Miroku

Mar 24, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Just an update. Got me 2 halve dollar boxes and the fiance got 2 nickel boxes. I got a 61 Franklin as an ender. Then later found a 67 and 68 Kennedy. I also got 5 common date proofs. So 3 silvers from 2 boxes. To me I still feel like a kid in the candy shop. She got a few 39-41 nickels, nothing good but I hope to sell them as a lot maybe someone wants them. She did get a buffalo I think 1921 (Can't make out date very well), a 42 S and a 42 pre silver.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Miroku

Miroku

Mar 24, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Another update. Got 2 boxes of halves and a box of dimes yesterday. Got a 53 and 64 dime. Also got 4 69, a 68, and a 67 Kennedy. With about 5 rolls left I pulled a 44 walker. Was super excited on that one!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you are really killing it with those numbers, way to go! I've been at this for 4 years now(half dollar searching) and have never had a 90% ender with the exception of an obverse 1964 kennedy half dollar with black sharpie mark on my very first box .

OP
OP
Miroku

Miroku

Mar 24, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Well we got our tax return back and we didn't need to spend much of it so I can play with it every week. I work @ a gas station and happen to do the stores cash flow. My boss doesn't mind me ordering stuff for me as long as I make sure to put the exact amount in a bag ready to go. So every Friday I get at least 2 half dollar boxes and then I will get 2 of something else. If I get the black and white rolls they are my lucky ones and seem to have at least some sort of silver. At least 1 per box. If I get the brinks ones I seem to skunk.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a bad scenario at all, do you know if your gas station pays a flat rate for coin/cash deliveries and pickups? or do they pay "per unit"?
Well we got our tax return back and we didn't need to spend much of it so I can play with it every week. I work @ a gas station and happen to do the stores cash flow. My boss doesn't mind me ordering stuff for me as long as I make sure to put the exact amount in a bag ready to go. So every Friday I get at least 2 half dollar boxes and then I will get 2 of something else. If I get the black and white rolls they are my lucky ones and seem to have at least some sort of silver. At least 1 per box. If I get the brinks ones I seem to skunk.

OP
OP
Miroku

Miroku

Mar 24, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I asked that too cause I didn't want to cost us more money and she just said the pay for a contract that we can get deliveries whenever and they pay it at the beginning of every year.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you are really killing it with those numbers, way to go! I've been at this for 4 years now(half dollar searching) and have never had a 90% ender with the exception of an obverse 1964 kennedy half dollar with black sharpie mark on my very first box .

Wow Buff! I didn't know your boxes were that bad??? Must be a ton of hunters there or something? I thought I was in a mediocre area, box-wise. I have still found many enders (incl 3-4 Walkers, 5-6 Bens, and quite a few 64s - tho it has slowed quite a bit in the last tear or so). It must be killing you to see people on this site pull some of the stuff they do.

OP
OP
Miroku

Miroku

Mar 24, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Got 2 boxes yesterday and 2 more are coming tomorrow. Yesterdays boxes had only a single 64 silver. It did have 3 proofs, and a 86 liberty I think it was. Looked fancy. Hoping tomorrows yield more silver :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread