First hand Cache stories?

TURNMASTER

Oct 13, 2009
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705, Explorer SE, & At Pro
A guy I know told me his great uncle had burried 30,000 in silver way back when. His family no longer ownes the property and no one recovered the loot. That is one of my quests for after the thaw in my area.

When I was 12 (1979) we moved out of a house and left 3 sm coffee cans of coins 1 of .25, .10 and .05 sure want to go back and see if they are still hidden.

My mom told me her and her friend use to bury stuff under the spruce. What stuff mom? Jewlery and coins they got from Grams. One day soon I would like to hunt that lot, the tree is now gone but I use to climb it and know right where it was.

There are 3 more for ya
Jeff

TURNMASTER

Oct 13, 2009
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
My step dad had hid some gold and silver coins in his ceiling. My druggie sister had stolen a bunch (all) of them about 3 years ago. He hid some more in the same spot and she hit it again. She got pulled over and hauled in on an unrelated offence. The police logged in 80$ face in Half Eagles When discharged she was written a check for 80 bucks. She could not get them back. He could not get them back.

Stolen twice. From one scumbag to another. Legal U.S. tender you know. One theft was down right crappy the other was legal as the day is long.

Pops died last year so she can not milk him any more. We recovered 40$ face common morgans from the same hole, nice of sis to leave us some crumbs.

Jeff

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

TURNMASTER said:
My step dad had hid some gold and silver coins in his ceiling. My druggie sister had stolen a bunch (all) of them about 3 years ago. He hid some more in the same spot and she hit it again. She got pulled over and hauled in on an unrelated offence. The police logged in 80$ face in Half Eagles When discharged she was written a check for 80 bucks. She could not get them back. He could not get them back.

Stolen twice. From one scumbag to another. Legal U.S. tender you know. One theft was down right crappy the other was legal as the day is long.

Pops died last year so she can not milk him any more. We recovered 40$ face common morgans from the same hole, nice of sis to leave us some crumbs.

Jeff

Sorry about the bad deeds of your sister, but I do enjoy hearing about these treasure leads. Please continue.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of the few caches I have been personally involved with, my favorite cache story is one that I both hid and recovered.

When I was a little kid, my grandfather used to sit me on his lap, take out his money clip, and let me play with it. I would first grab for the $100s in the back and he would say, "Nope, gotta put those in the bank." Same for $50s. When I got to the $20s, he would let me pull one out and tell me to take it to my grandmother and let her put it away for me. She would always hide it in a glass in this Bamboo Highball Set they had. Remember, I was about 5 or 6 when this was going on. I don't remember how many $20s I got all together, but there were a bunch.

So, I forget all about them over the years. Some years after my parents got divorced, I moved in with my grandparents (about 1974 and I was 11 years old). When I was in Junior High School, somehow the subject of all those $20s came up. My grandmother told me that one day she had gone to check on them, and they were all gone. She said they looked all over the place for them. She even thought the maid may have stolen them. After they moved, she didn't give it any more thought.

Now I'm 16 and driving past my grandparents old house, and as soon as I saw the place it hit me like a bolt of lightning..........................I was the one who took all my $20s out of those highball glasses and hid them somewhere else. I even remembered where I hid them. Behind the faceplates of the electrical outlets and light switches. I figured that they had probably been found in the previous ten years and blew it off.

About a year or so later, I was driving past the place again, and saw a For Sale sign in the yard, and the house was wide open. There were movers taking everything out. I started talking to them when they were about done and told them I had lived in the house when I was a little kid. They said after they were finished, they didn't care if I looked around the place. I couldn't believe my eyes when I walked in. All the old faceplates had been painted over a lot of times. I took out my pocket knife and unscrewed one and pried it off the wall. Behind it was about $80 in old $20s. I did the same thing to every faceplate in the house and alltogether found between $300 and $400. For a 17 year old in 1980 that was a chunk of change.

Thanks for eleven years of lazy painters!

Best-Mike

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

gollum said:
Of the few caches I have been personally involved with, my favorite cache story is one that I both hid and recovered.

When I was a little kid, my grandfather used to sit me on his lap, take out his money clip, and let me play with it. I would first grab for the $100s in the back and he would say, "Nope, gotta put those in the bank." Same for $50s. When I got to the $20s, he would let me pull one out and tell me to take it to my grandmother and let her put it away for me. She would always hide it in a glass in this Bamboo Highball Set they had. Remember, I was about 5 or 6 when this was going on. I don't remember how many $20s I got all together, but there were a bunch.

So, I forget all about them over the years. Some years after my parents got divorced, I moved in with my grandparents (about 1974 and I was 11 years old). When I was in Junior High School, somehow the subject of all those $20s came up. My grandmother told me that one day she had gone to check on them, and they were all gone. She said they looked all over the place for them. She even thought the maid may have stolen them. After they moved, she didn't give it any more thought.

Now I'm 16 and driving past my grandparents old house, and as soon as I saw the place it hit me like a bolt of lightning..........................I was the one who took all my $20s out of those highball glasses and hid them somewhere else. I even remembered where I hid them. Behind the faceplates of the electrical outlets and light switches. I figured that they had probably been found in the previous ten years and blew it off.

About a year or so later, I was driving past the place again, and saw a For Sale sign in the yard, and the house was wide open. There were movers taking everything out. I started talking to them when they were about done and told them I had lived in the house when I was a little kid. They said after they were finished, they didn't care if I looked around the place. I couldn't believe my eyes when I walked in. All the old faceplates had been painted over a lot of times. I took out my pocket knife and unscrewed one and pried it off the wall. Behind it was about $80 in old $20s. I did the same thing to every faceplate in the house and alltogether found between $300 and $400. For a 17 year old in 1980 that was a chunk of change.

Best-Mike

That one takes the prize for "first hand" cache stories. That's as first hand as it gets. ;D This is probably what gave you the treasure hunting bug, right?

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in the early 70's a friend of mine ask me to go with him to his great aunt's house.
It was way out in the sticks (Northen Texas) She had a 1950 Chev. that she had bought new. Twice a year, he would go get the car and bring it into town for service. She was 86 and still drove it to town about twice a month. No one else payed any attention to her. Later, he told me that she had died and none of the family cared, so he needed some help to clean out the old house. The house was a HUGE two story, full basement, with a screened in "sleeping porch" running around three sides of the 2nd floor. We started finding box after box of postal saving certificates. Cigar boxes, shoe boxes, and oatmeal cans. Full. None of them were over a dollar, and many were from post offices that we never heard off. It seems that many years ago, a person on a RFD route could deposit money with the rural mail man, since people didn't run to town twice a day like they do now. Also, only a certain amount was allowed in each post office, explaining the different post offices. I never heard how much there was, but as you can imagine, caring relatives started comming out of the woodwork.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kentucky Kache said:
gollum said:

Best-Mike

That one takes the prize for "first hand" cache stories. That's as first hand as it gets. ;D This is probably what gave you the treasure hunting bug, right?

Nope,

I had always loved stories about lost treasures and such, but it wasn't until about 17 years ago when a friend of mine showed me a picture of him kneeling down next to a stack of gold bars about 3ft tall X 3ft wide X 6ft long. It was an old Spanish Cache he and seven partners had found several years before. THAT gave me the bug.

Best-Mike

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

gollum said:
Nope,

I had always loved stories about lost treasures and such, but it wasn't until about 17 years ago when a friend of mine showed me a picture of him kneeling down next to a stack of gold bars about 3ft tall X 3ft wide X 6ft long. It was an old Spanish Cache he and seven partners had found several years before. THAT gave me the bug.

Best-Mike

That will do it every time.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope that your friends pay state and federal income taxes, on the gold bars, or off to jail, they may go.

TURNMASTER

Oct 13, 2009
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
One of the guys I work with, his father in law has an early 60s Ford Falcon with a trunk full of silver.
Just sits out in the field, when people stop to ask if it is for sale he just says nope sorry - not for sale.

Jeff

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Connecticut Danny said:
I hope that your friends pay state and federal income taxes, on the gold bars, or off to jail, they may go.

Nope. They got theirs about 25 or so years ago. Just like my friend in Tucson that found 82 pounds of gold bars in 1986. He was even in TREASURE MAGAZINE with pictures. Before I knew him, I had heard that he had gotten busted, but that was not true. He and his three partners split about a half million dollars. Still hanging out and having fun. My avatar is a pic of one of his bars.

Best-Mike

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Connecticut Danny said:
Your friend must had been a pro. Good luck to him.

The one with the big stack? Yeah. The one from Tucson? No.

Mike

jeff456

Dec 15, 2008
Although this is a pretty old topic I only just now saw it. It made me think of our families cache story.

As we were growing up we would go visit our grandfather who raised hogs on an off-site lot. Sometimes on the way to the hog lot he would tell us to wait while he walked off into the woods for a short time and then he would come back. Also, at other times he would point out a tree that had bees living in it and also had a honeycomb. He would sometimes tell us to remember the "bee tree". Of course we always figured that he wanted us to remember the "bee tree" in case we wanted honey. My thought was always why would I do that when I can just go buy it without all the trouble.

Well, as it turns out when he was in the hospital in his last few days he told a few people that his money was at that "bee tree". Problem is unless somebody remembered and just didn't say, nobody really remembers exactly where the "bee tree" is at! We have plans to go look sometime in the near future. Even if we find nothing it wil still be a neat adventure back to where we used to go as kids. Of course we all have slightly different ideas of exactly where we were when he pointed the tree out so there is some debate as to where we should actually look. We have viewed the location on google and it is still there, although construction has come pretty close on one end of the property. I am always afraid that we will loose our chance to go look if we don't do it sooner than later.

My brother and I have discussed where or how he would have hidden whatever he was putting in there. In the begining I always had it in my mind that he would have placed it IN the tree. Only recently I have begun to think it would be at or near the base of the tree. Getting a jar or whatever out of a honeytree would seem too messy to fool with and I never saw him all sticky from messing with it when he used to walk off by himself.

It has been said that he never fooled with banks and I remember his overalls always had cash in the front top pocket that was more than anyone would think a man that looked as simple as him would have.

I get excited just thinking about being able to go look. I have told my dad I would expect to just hand anything found over to him for him to do with what he thought was right and that all I would like is a keepsake of some sort. Knowing that my grandfather had buried something for us to find years later would be all the treasure I would need...

Jeff

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gollum said:
Nope,
Best-Mike

SHOOT, that would have given ME several bugs, a dozen viruses, a case of the shakes, and a large bacteria "to be named later". :sign10: :thumbsup:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trust me. It did.

Before that, I thought the only treasures left were under the oceans. I hadn't known any treasure hunters, and didn't know a lot about the subject (other than what I have read).

When he first showed me about stone markers and monuments, I was kind of skeptical. After all, I had never heard of anything like that. After seeing the pic, I was a believer. In case you think the pic may have been a fake, he has quite a large home i a very nice coastal city here in Southern California, and I know the guy quite well.

Best-Mike

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Back in the mid sixty's, my Uncle use to buy slaughter ready hogs from an old couple that lived just East of Rayville, La. The Family name was Futch and they were just poor people, but fairly well known for there hogs. That was just life in rural Louisiana in those days. Their old house was run down and their old truck was mostly rust. Just Good Old Country Folks.
They died off in the early Seventy's and the thought of them leaving anything of value was never considered. That was till some of there Family members started tearing down the old house. They found money hid everywhere; under shake shingles, behind wall boards, under floorboards, etc. My Uncle knew the Family and he stated that a little over $70,000 was found that he knew of. News of this find did get out and written about in the Parish Newspaper.
Makes sense, they had a cash business and didn't believe in banks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread