First hand Cache stories?

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

jeff456 said:
Although this is a pretty old topic I only just now saw it. It made me think of our families cache story.

As we were growing up we would go visit our grandfather who raised hogs on an off-site lot. Sometimes on the way to the hog lot he would tell us to wait while he walked off into the woods for a short time and then he would come back. Also, at other times he would point out a tree that had bees living in it and also had a honeycomb. He would sometimes tell us to remember the "bee tree". Of course we always figured that he wanted us to remember the "bee tree" in case we wanted honey. My thought was always why would I do that when I can just go buy it without all the trouble.

Well, as it turns out when he was in the hospital in his last few days he told a few people that his money was at that "bee tree". Problem is unless somebody remembered and just didn't say, nobody really remembers exactly where the "bee tree" is at! We have plans to go look sometime in the near future. Even if we find nothing it wil still be a neat adventure back to where we used to go as kids. Of course we all have slightly different ideas of exactly where we were when he pointed the tree out so there is some debate as to where we should actually look. We have viewed the location on google and it is still there, although construction has come pretty close on one end of the property. I am always afraid that we will loose our chance to go look if we don't do it sooner than later.

My brother and I have discussed where or how he would have hidden whatever he was putting in there. In the begining I always had it in my mind that he would have placed it IN the tree. Only recently I have begun to think it would be at or near the base of the tree. Getting a jar or whatever out of a honeytree would seem too messy to fool with and I never saw him all sticky from messing with it when he used to walk off by himself.

It has been said that he never fooled with banks and I remember his overalls always had cash in the front top pocket that was more than anyone would think a man that looked as simple as him would have.

I get excited just thinking about being able to go look. I have told my dad I would expect to just hand anything found over to him for him to do with what he thought was right and that all I would like is a keepsake of some sort. Knowing that my grandfather had buried something for us to find years later would be all the treasure I would need...

Jeff

That's a good cache lead. You better get there and find it before the developers take it over.
There could have been a hollowed place in the bottom of the tree, the honey being higher up. But your grandfather saying "at" that bee tree...that's interesting.

TURNMASTER

Oct 13, 2009
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705, Explorer SE, & At Pro
My boss related 2 stories to me last summer. That makes them 2nd hand.

One guy who used to work here had a deceased Mother in law... While cleaning out the house he found a shoe box under her bed. It held 30 thou. in curency.

Another friend of his had a deceaced uncle. Uncle worked all his life made a good wage but never bought anything. His house was just a clapboard house in eastern WA. The nefew and other family members tore the place apart looking for his cache to no avail. Untill they started pulling up the floor boards. $800,000 was found to be located therein. I believe I was told that took place in the eighties.

Wish I had an uncle like that.
Jeff

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These stories prove that the best stories on bury treasures, is unpublished stories, told by local people and family members.

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
There is a lot of gold around the Redding area. My parent's farm near Clear Creek was half covered over by original 49er ditches and diggings, was part of Horsetown, and served as the base camp for the dredge used along Clear Creek.

There was a meadow on the lower part of our acerage that was the last undredged piece of riverbottom along Clear Creek. After rains you could find flakes of gold under the rocks in the creeks. There are a lot of old bottle and can dumps in the area and a lot of old pans and picks, as well as some remains of smelting beehives and chimneys. It has been turned into a housing area and lotted up though in the last 10 years. Our ranch was originally part of the Montgomery Ranch. Buck Montgomery was the stage guard killed by the Ruggles brothers in 1892, and my parents knew his elderly daughter.

I have a place I pan out by French Gulch that I can get 1 to 2 ounces out of in the summers. I gave it up when the price got low, but now might go and give it a shot again this summer.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really enjoyed the Redding area, we(my nephew and I) were looking for the location of the stage coach robbery. We found it but had 9 gold hits dug 4 and had to go home. One of them was a little nugget the size of a match head. The sides of the creek were so steep we didn't have time to go down them.

We also went up Clear Creek near the road side rest where you can see the salmon and found gold around the Redding Bar area, but didn't know if we could dig it as it was on Bureau of Land Management site. I read recently that Redding was like number 4 in the US for the number of sunny days per year...we may retire there( 10-15 years from now).

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only place i know of right off hand to sell panned gold is a little place just below Placerville,that sells all kinds of mining equipment. They give you like 90 percent of the market price depending on the purity of your gold. Good people and very helpful. If you are near there PM me and I will try to relocate the name of the shop. You might ask the same question in the gold prospecting section of Tnet.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Swiftfan:

If you have never panned for gold but somehow you pan an oz of gold you
are mighty lucky because you are sitting on a bonanza. Just keep panning til
there's no more gold. Then PM me to sell it.

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead anyone, I never found any gold, I was just saying "what if". Thanks to all anyway..

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
The problem with that Mormon gold story and Horsetown is that it doesn't give much light to what happened. The crossing I assume was somewhere in back of where the Rancheria is now in southern Redding. There is a ranch there that acted as a wayside for the miners. It is somewhere between there and probably Honeybee Lane, which is a couple miles. There is no way to assume where the crossing was at that time, or where Clear Creek was in its bed.

The further south it was the better because the entire area to the north was bucket dredged from 1900 - 1920. Horsetown existed somewhere south of Clear Creek Road opposite of Honeybee Lane. There was a smithy and houses up on top of the hill to the north. At the juncture of Honeybee Lane and Texas Springs Road was a general store on the north side, several houses, and on the south side a livery stable and several other businesses. About 150 yards further south is either the Horsetown cemetary or the cemetary of one of its outlying communities. The town could have been pretty spread out.

The rest of Horsetown was dredged to oblivion.

I don't really believe this story of the gold, but it's a great story. I would try to find an old records map on the road if you can, and on Horsetown. This information is pretty scant from what I have seen. You could also look and see if you can find Deiselhorse's claim area somewhere. There is a bridge named after him up there, so he seems to be a real figure in the history of the county, though I never heard much about him.

idigdirt

Mar 15, 2006
Epworth, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Compass xp-pro
Primary Interest:
Other
This message is for Diggerdans post from earlier. The next time you get a sorry reply like that from somebody just tell them " 25% of something is better than 0% of nothing" Cause' unless they get real lucky, they ain't' getting nothing....

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saw this thread, though I would respond with my family cache story.

My grandparents lived on a farm that had been passed down for a few generations. Also living on the property in the original farm house was my grandfathers sister. She was never married and let me tell you, she was one weird bird. She was one of these types who ate cat food and received welfare checks and didn't trust a bank with her money. I was away for college and she passed away. Upon going through her stuff the family found almost 10k stashed away in the house in various places. A few years later my grandparents passed away and the family cleaned out the houses and sold them off. Only thing I got was my grandfathers old Colt .38. I never got a chance to go back there and look around. I started talking to my mother about it last year and apparently my great grandparents who originally lived in the old farmhouse had some money in those days. One of their sons was killed in WWI and they received a monthly payout from the government of a substantial amount for those days. My mother told me that they had bought quite a few gold coins. After they died, these coins were never found. I brought up the possibility that these had been buried somewhere on the property and my mom agreed that was a possibility. She said the family had always thought they had been stolen by another family member, but wouldn't supprise her if they had buried some of them. I have never gotten a chance to go back there and look. The property is no longer in our family but the last I had heard the original farm house is still standing. What I wouldn't give to swing a MD there.

O

Old Silver

AGCoinHunter said:
Just saw this thread, though I would respond with my family cache story.

My grandparents lived on a farm that had been passed down for a few generations. Also living on the property in the original farm house was my grandfathers sister. She was never married and let me tell you, she was one weird bird. She was one of these types who ate cat food and received welfare checks and didn't trust a bank with her money. I was away for college and she passed away. Upon going through her stuff the family found almost 10k stashed away in the house in various places. A few years later my grandparents passed away and the family cleaned out the houses and sold them off. Only thing I got was my grandfathers old Colt .38. I never got a chance to go back there and look around. I started talking to my mother about it last year and apparently my great grandparents who originally lived in the old farmhouse had some money in those days. One of their sons was killed in WWI and they received a monthly payout from the government of a substantial amount for those days. My mother told me that they had bought quite a few gold coins. After they died, these coins were never found. I brought up the possibility that these had been buried somewhere on the property and my mom agreed that was a possibility. She said the family had always thought they had been stolen by another family member, but wouldn't supprise her if they had buried some of them. I have never gotten a chance to go back there and look. The property is no longer in our family but the last I had heard the original farm house is still standing. What I wouldn't give to swing a MD there.

Go give it a try, it sounds like a good lead.

Jan 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
whites sectrum xlt
30,000 Silver dollars

Back in 1975 I was offered a chance to hunt for 30,000 silver dollars from a train robbery.So I decided one day to go to the town and find my friend and go look for it.Well I was 2 weeks too late! Another guy found all 30,000 silver dollars buried right beside the railroad tracks.Needless to say he couldn't keep his mouth shut and the IRS was watching him. "don't procatinate one day because you may lose out like I did.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread