First hunt of 09 - WooHoo!! - BIG SILVER and a heart stopper

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
First hunt of '09 - WooHoo!! - BIG SILVER and a heart stopper

My son kenny161 and I got out Sunday for about 3 hours - our first hunt of 2009. After about an 90 minutes or so into the hunt, I was getting skunked pretty bad, and Kenny had a few cool finds aready (he'll put up his own post).

I was using the Explorer II with the new 11" Pro coil this time - decided to leave the E-Trac in the car. We headed towards an area that has been fairly productive in the past, and I got a real sweet high tone. I dug out a deep plug, and noticed a silver edge sticking out of the side of my hole...

IMG_9762.jpg

So I shouted over to Kenny to come check it out as I was pretty sure I had a silver coin. I thought it was a quarter, but when I tugged it out of the dirt, I was looking at this beauty...

IMG_9764.jpg

IMG_9763.jpg

WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!! You can probably imagine how happy I was to see this Walking Liberty. What you don't know is that I've only ever found one other in my 30+ years of detecting, and it was when I was a kid detecting with my brother at the local Junior High School. What you also don't know is that I wrote out a list of goals for 2009 on New Year's Eve, and one of my goals for the year was a silver half dollar.

Composing myself as best I could, I took a few steps away from this hole and picked up a somewhat "iffy" high tone. I was in some pretty deep grass, so I kept going back over and over trying to press the coil down as far into the grass as I could to pick up the signal better. Having read enough here about "iffy" signals, it didn't take me long to decide to dig this one. And boy was I glad I did, because once I dug the deep plug out, I saw something stuck to the side of it...

IMG_9767.jpg

So I picked it out of the dirt, and looked at the front of the coin, and here's where my heart stopped...

IMG_9768.jpg

I have never found a 1916 Mercury Head dime before, and I hoped I'd see what I wanted to see on the back. Turning it over and squinting with my bad eyesight, showed me this...

IMG_9769.jpg

A flippin' "S". So I said a word that started with "S", and moved on - oh well, still a sweet OLD coin.

Then not more than ten feet from these two silvers, I got another iffy signal, and dug to see this in the hole...

IMG_9770.jpg

Not as sweet as the first two, but hey... silver is silver!!!

IMG_9771.jpg

So my skunk hunt turned out to be a very happy and memorable hunt for me, and also for Kenny as he found a few keepers himself. Here are the three silvers after very gentle cleaning...

IMG_9796.jpg

IMG_9798.jpg

IMG_9793.jpg

IMG_9795.jpg

IMG_9799.jpg

IMG_9788.jpg

So, a great way to start the 2009 detecting season off, but now I've set the bar pretty high for myself for my next hunt!

Jim

Upvote 0

kakcsdad

Feb 5, 2007
cantonment, florida (pensacola)
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT stock and 5.3 coil
Re: First hunt of '09 - WooHoo!! - BIG SILVER and a heart stopper

nice stuff you found there. i like hunting after a good soaking rain cuz the silver sticks out that much better againt the dark mud. :thumbsup:

hh and look forward to the next post

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark

Very nice job on the walking liberty silver half dollar!!! :) Congratulations! :) I hope that you get more big silver this year!!!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What a way to start the new year :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Beautiful silver finds, can't get any better than that.

:wink: RR

SilverDreams

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2005
Vinemont, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Great start to the year! Sweet finds! :)

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A beautifully-told narrative, a real page turner. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for the motivation!

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250

1928-S Walker, and a couple sweet dimes!! I'd say the year is starting out great!! Congrats!

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AWESOME...thanks for putting a smile on my face. I love that shiny stuff. :thumbsup:

Weasel_Loader

Feb 16, 2008
California City, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer CTX 3030

WOW!!!

Awesome photos. I can't imagine the feeling of turning over that 1916 Merc was. I can bet you were shaking a good bit too. :tongue3:

That's a long time to wait on that half. Hopefully I don't have to wait that long on my first silver half. I don't think I've ever pulled a plug with a silver stuck to the bottom yet. I've done it with plenty of clad and the funniest one was with my clad Kennedy half. It was sticking about 3/4 of the way out of the plug I pulled, straight up.

Thanks for taking the time with the nice photos for us to enjoy. Have fun out there. :thumbsup:

Mike_of_Tenn

Nov 19, 2008
White Bluff, TN
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-Terra 70

LOL! ;DMan I bet ya was shaken hard on that Merc! ;D Couldn't imagine how I'd feel! :o
Thanks for the great post and a BIG CONGRATS for a fine day out swinging! :thumbsup:

Mike

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro

gorgous walker
i know what u mean i dug a 1916 last yr my self. The diff. is i forgot what the good mint mark was so ofcourse the hole time i thought my s mint was the good one

bilt46

Oct 11, 2008
around town
Detector(s) used
CZ5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fantastic Photos..

BillT

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

Great finds and some Nice dates 2

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3

What a great day! I've never found 3 silvers the same day. It's one of my goals for this year!

Best wishes for more hunts like this one!

Mike

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Yeah, Baby :thumbsup: Nice walker and finds Jim. Bet you were happy :icon_sunny: :thumbsup:

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV

WTG! :thumbsup: Those are some very sweet finds. I hear you on that heart stopper, so close!!! Keep on swinging and HH! :thumbsup:

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great. There seems to be a silver lining there.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Wow, Jim. That's a AWESOME start to the '09 year. It seems like everyone is doing so well right from the get go!! :thumbsup:

The Walker is very sharp!! :o

As long as you're swinging an Explorer, you will find the goods!!

Congrats, and good luck on your next hunt!!

CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
time4me

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur

mikewaz said:
Way to start the new year there Jim! :thumbsup:

All of those finds are beauties. And like the Count said, you don't know how lucky you are to be able to do this year round. I'm gonna have to move one of these days.

Keep 'em comin'
Mike

Thanks Mike! Yeah, we get bummed on the west coast if it is overcast and a little rainy. But I do feel your pain when I spend a couple of weeks each fall / winter in Michigan and can't get out with my detector there due to the frozen ground and snow.

Weasel_Loader said:
WOW!!!

Awesome photos. I can't imagine the feeling of turning over that 1916 Merc was. I can bet you were shaking a good bit too. :tongue3:

That's a long time to wait on that half. Hopefully I don't have to wait that long on my first silver half. I don't think I've ever pulled a plug with a silver stuck to the bottom yet. I've done it with plenty of clad and the funniest one was with my clad Kennedy half. It was sticking about 3/4 of the way out of the plug I pulled, straight up.

Thanks for taking the time with the nice photos for us to enjoy. Have fun out there. :thumbsup:

Thanks WeaselLoader - I know that my problem has always been that I haven't been detecting in older places where it is likely to find a silver half. I've never found a barber coin, and certainly no seated coins. No standing liberty quarters even. So I've got my work cut out for me this year to add anumber of firsts to my detecting collection box.

Captn_SE said:
Wow, Jim. That's a AWESOME start to the '09 year. It seems like everyone is doing so well right from the get go!! :thumbsup:

The Walker is very sharp!! :o

As long as you're swinging an Explorer, you will find the goods!!

Congrats, and good luck on your next hunt!!

CAPTN SE
Dan

Thanks Dan! You have been a huge inspiration to me over these past months. I definitely hope our detectors cross some day soon and we can do a hunt together.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread