First hunt of 09 - WooHoo!! - BIG SILVER and a heart stopper

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
First hunt of '09 - WooHoo!! - BIG SILVER and a heart stopper

My son kenny161 and I got out Sunday for about 3 hours - our first hunt of 2009. After about an 90 minutes or so into the hunt, I was getting skunked pretty bad, and Kenny had a few cool finds aready (he'll put up his own post).

I was using the Explorer II with the new 11" Pro coil this time - decided to leave the E-Trac in the car. We headed towards an area that has been fairly productive in the past, and I got a real sweet high tone. I dug out a deep plug, and noticed a silver edge sticking out of the side of my hole...

IMG_9762.jpg

So I shouted over to Kenny to come check it out as I was pretty sure I had a silver coin. I thought it was a quarter, but when I tugged it out of the dirt, I was looking at this beauty...

IMG_9764.jpg

IMG_9763.jpg

WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!! You can probably imagine how happy I was to see this Walking Liberty. What you don't know is that I've only ever found one other in my 30+ years of detecting, and it was when I was a kid detecting with my brother at the local Junior High School. What you also don't know is that I wrote out a list of goals for 2009 on New Year's Eve, and one of my goals for the year was a silver half dollar.

Composing myself as best I could, I took a few steps away from this hole and picked up a somewhat "iffy" high tone. I was in some pretty deep grass, so I kept going back over and over trying to press the coil down as far into the grass as I could to pick up the signal better. Having read enough here about "iffy" signals, it didn't take me long to decide to dig this one. And boy was I glad I did, because once I dug the deep plug out, I saw something stuck to the side of it...

IMG_9767.jpg

So I picked it out of the dirt, and looked at the front of the coin, and here's where my heart stopped...

IMG_9768.jpg

I have never found a 1916 Mercury Head dime before, and I hoped I'd see what I wanted to see on the back. Turning it over and squinting with my bad eyesight, showed me this...

IMG_9769.jpg

A flippin' "S". So I said a word that started with "S", and moved on - oh well, still a sweet OLD coin.

Then not more than ten feet from these two silvers, I got another iffy signal, and dug to see this in the hole...

IMG_9770.jpg

Not as sweet as the first two, but hey... silver is silver!!!

IMG_9771.jpg

So my skunk hunt turned out to be a very happy and memorable hunt for me, and also for Kenny as he found a few keepers himself. Here are the three silvers after very gentle cleaning...

IMG_9796.jpg

IMG_9798.jpg

IMG_9793.jpg

IMG_9795.jpg

IMG_9799.jpg

IMG_9788.jpg

So, a great way to start the 2009 detecting season off, but now I've set the bar pretty high for myself for my next hunt!

Jim

Upvote 0

topdog

Dec 2, 2007
Navarre, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
Re: First hunt of '09 - WooHoo!! - BIG SILVER and a heart stopper

WOW !!!!! You had a really awesome day of hunting, that Walking Liberty half is so cool. Haven't had a three silver day in a long time, continued success throughout 2009.

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT

Hey, I'll gladly trade you my last 10 dimes for your one.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice old Stand, and evil, evil Merc. Know the exact words I would have spoken if, when I turned it over and saw the "s", not a "d". Bad words. Ugly, look around after I said them words. The Detecting Gods teased you on that coin. Hard, for me at least to dig those early to mid year standings. Seem to only dig them in the 1940's, or worn teens. Kudos.

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker

SUPER SILVER FOR FIRST 2009 HUNT. CONGRATS.

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X

SWEET finds!
Off to a great start already.
Dang that Walker is nice!
Congrats!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

seger98 said:
Holy cow man, what a way to start the year off!

I couldn't have said it any better! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

What a great day, Jim!! Congrats on the great finds! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: The photos and story are really good, and that half has a lot of detail left on it. Sweet, sweet, sweet! Thanks for sharing your hunt with us!

Looks like you started the new year in style! :wink:

I had to laugh when I saw Kenny's last post and found that he's digging up the Scout slides, too. Looks like your competition has arrived. ;D
Neil

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Looks like a great hunt to me. What a way to start the new year off. WTG :thumbsup:

Now you will be thinking that all of your hunts will be ending like this. (lol)

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Silver is always a booster, makes ya wanna keep huntin

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.

Beautiful finds........ :o

OP
OP
time4me

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur

kimsdad said:
I couldn't have said it any better! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

What a great day, Jim!! Congrats on the great finds! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: The photos and story are really good, and that half has a lot of detail left on it. Sweet, sweet, sweet! Thanks for sharing your hunt with us!

Looks like you started the new year in style! :wink:

I had to laugh when I saw Kenny's last post and found that he's digging up the Scout slides, too. Looks like your competition has arrived. ;D
Neil

Thanks Neil! Yeah, Kenny is getting better and better each time he goes out with me. I try to go during the week as much as I can so he can't go cuz he's in school ;D - just kidding. I really enjoy having him there with me when I go detecting - it's something I never got to do with my own dad as he was in a wheelchair and died when I was 10. I cherish every moment I get to spend with Kenny and his little brother, who is still a bit too young to swing the detector well and retrieve targets. Kenny on the other hand has smoked me a couple of the last hunts.

nebstater said:
Looks like a great hunt to me. What a way to start the new year off. WTG :thumbsup:

Now you will be thinking that all of your hunts will be ending like this. (lol)

LOL - yeah, I'm heading back to the same spot again tomorrow for 3 or 4 hours, and I am really hoping I do this well again, but I know the odds of finding another walker are ridiculous. If I can just snag one or two silvers - even a rosie or a pre-64 Washington quarter, I'll be happy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread