First Hunt of the New Year and 1st Silver Dug

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today it was going to be in the high 30's. :sunny: I know this weather will not last so I decided to finish the grid on the football field. When I got to the site and geared up I meandered towards the other end where my grid was. On the way there the 1st target was a weird silver ring. :icon_thumleft: I took that as a good omen. Nice to get a start on this years ring count. (Right, Skippy?) :dontknow:

Half way through today's grid on the 5 yard line (in the center of the field) I got a silver signal that would not repeat in all directions. I dug down 8 inches and pulled the first silver coin for the year, it's a 1932 Washington. :icon_thumleft: The place still has a fair amount of clad, and I'm sure a couple more keeper coins and some jewelry are still buried. I ended up pulling a little over $10 in three and a half hours.

Today's Keepers

20170101_160059.jpg

All Finds

20170101_154458.jpg

As always, I hope ya'll got out and swung the coil :metaldetector: today.

GL & HH

Upvote 37
OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt loco, any mint mark on reverse ? D or S are some good bucks :occasion14:

Thanks digging440yrs, sorry to say it does not have a mint mark so instead of a key date, the coin is worth melt. :crybaby2:

Nice start to the year with the silver.

Thanks pepperj, it's nice to break the silver bubble early in the season.

A couple of Sweet silvers on your first hunt sure looks good for a first hunt. I'd be happy with one silver for my first hunt.
Congrats and Good Luck for 2017!!

Thanks deershed, it's been a good spot to hunt, finds are getting fewer, but every now and then you dig a keeper instead of just a descent clad haul.

Nice finds loco congrats on silver

Thanks jim, looks like you are concentrating on permissions now, great to see that.

Hey L-D, congrats! Amazing to start the year with a first year Washington, and a ring!

Thanks McCDig, wow I thought I could keep up with you for a little while, but you are already blowing my keeper count away for the new season.

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like your off to a good start Loco. Nice find.

Thanks Trezurehunter, just hoping I can keep the momentum going. Too bad I had to go to work today.

Well done brother!

I like the ring.

Thanks Tom, I sure wish it was a key date coin, maybe next time. On the positive side it is my 1st silver of the season and it fills an open slot in my coin folder. Happy New Year and good luck to you and the rest of the NC Silver Mafia

Always nice to start out the year with silver.

Thanks doninbrewster, maybe someday I get closer to your annual totals.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That's great. I haven't been out in about a week. I'd be stoked to dig a Washington

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent start for the new year!

After the year I just had, I'm finding myself a little afraid to do my first hunt. Don't want to bring the spirit back down to earth too quickly. ;)

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice way to start the New Year !! Congrats and HH

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's great. I haven't been out in about a week. I'd be stoked to dig a Washington

Thanks Steve, I only wish it had a mint mark so instead of just being my 1st silver of the season, it would have been my 1st Key Date coin of the season. Oh well, maybe the next plug will be "THE" plug.

Very cool. Grats. I love seeing all these '1st of the year' threads

Thanks Murray it's always nice to burst the silver bubble early.

Excellent start for the new year!

After the year I just had, I'm finding myself a little afraid to do my first hunt. Don't want to bring the spirit back down to earth too quickly. ;)

Thanks Whadi, everyday spent not detecting is a lost day. You better believe if I did not have to go back to work, I'd have been swinging the coil. It rained most of the day, but that's not a show stopper like frozen ground. I am an optimistic realist. I never expect a great find (that's the realist in me), but you will not find them staying in. The optimist in me say's the next target will be a keeper. Every day above ground is a Blessing, Can I get an AMEN?

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Whadi, everyday spent not detecting is a lost day. You better believe if I did not have to go back to work, I'd have been swinging the coil. It rained most of the day, but that's not a show stopper like frozen ground. I am an optimistic realist. I never expect a great find (that's the realist in me), but you will not find them staying in. The optimist in me say's the next target will be a keeper. Every day above ground is a Blessing, Can I get an AMEN?

Agree and amen with most of what you said, L.D. But, you see, I don't have work to get in the way of my walks. So, I can go every single day, (weather permitting). The trouble with that is that if I go EVERY day, I turn this "walk" of mine into a "job". If I ever feel I HAVE to go, every day, I will quit this hobby. No joke.

I enjoy getting out as much as I can anymore. It's a blessing I "worked" hard to achieve. To be able to go WHENEVER I feel like it. I understand the sentiment, but, the only thing I'll "work" at anymore is keeping my walks free to take when *I* want to take them.

Now.....did any of that make any sense? ;) LOL

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job kevin!, looks like you dug your butt off with all them targets, hope ya get some more time in before the ground turns to tundra

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt, I hope you can go back there or have already, there is more I'm sure! Congrats!

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool ring !

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice way to start the New Year !! Congrats and HH

Thanks DD

Agree and amen with most of what you said, L.D. But, you see, I don't have work to get in the way of my walks. So, I can go every single day, (weather permitting). The trouble with that is that if I go EVERY day, I turn this "walk" of mine into a "job". If I ever feel I HAVE to go, every day, I will quit this hobby. No joke.

I enjoy getting out as much as I can anymore. It's a blessing I "worked" hard to achieve. To be able to go WHENEVER I feel like it. I understand the sentiment, but, the only thing I'll "work" at anymore is keeping my walks free to take when *I* want to take them.

Now.....did any of that make any sense? ;) LOL

You know whats best for you Whadi. :icon_thumleft:

Nice job kevin!, looks like you dug your butt off with all them targets, hope ya get some more time in before the ground turns to tundra

Thanks Chris, it is Tundra now, 10 below wind chill this morning. The season might be over. :crybaby2:

Awesome hunt, I hope you can go back there or have already, there is more I'm sure! Congrats!

Thanks Brad, I went back and pulled more clad & other finds, but nothing post worthy.

Cool ring !

Thanks pl8man, it's a start to this years collection.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
On the board with two nice silvers. Congrats. Hope you can shatter your goals this year.

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On the board with two nice silvers. Congrats. Hope you can shatter your goals this year.

Thanks Scuba, i would not have met my goal this season if 2 individuals would not have given me a few for my 2016 goal. I lost 8 weeks of permission detecting due to the dry July and August we had in my area.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent start of the new year. Congrats and when you start the year with silver, that's always a great sign of what's to come!

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent start of the new year. Congrats and when you start the year with silver, that's always a great sign of what's to come!

Thanks SD51, fingers crossed that I get 50 silver coins this season.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin shoot, Loco! Great start on the new year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions