First hunt of the season brings an early colonial copper!

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Got out today for the first time this year and decided to check out a small field that was recently cleared. We were lucky enough to find the caretaker for the property who informed us that the overgrown field had been cleared so that they could bring horses in there. He gave us permission to look around and while my two hunting partners dove deep into the field I decided to stay about 20 feet from the road which I figured was far enough to avoid most modern trash but close enough to the road to maybe find some old relics. Well it paid off. After hunting for maybe 20 minutes I got a nice signal that was unmistakably a coin. Digging down about 3 inches or so I uncovered this 1749 George II. I didn't find any other coins but I'm more than happy to start the new year out with a bang like this!

Attachments

• IMG_0104.JPG
    IMG_0104.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_0103.JPG
    IMG_0103.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 459
Upvote 0

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one of the most beautiful pieces of copper that I think I have ever seen! Great Job Bud! The definition in that coin is still so vivid and you can see both sides of it very well. That is a terrific find......wish I'd found it HAHA :wink: :wink: :D

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial coppa is just so pretty :headbang: Always a thrill to find a coin like that. I bet your friends were banging their heads against the wall for their decision to go to the middle of the field. :BangHead: You made the right decision. Good Thinking. :sign13: :icon_thumleft:

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OHHhhh..you make it sound so easy! 8) Beautiful coin, Joe! Congrats!

Nana :)

93vector

Feb 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Thats a great find. I found one just like that this week. Yours is in much better shape. I am unable to get an exact date from mine but it is from 1746-54 range, just like yours.

Awesome find. Congrats!

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Joe,
Super Sweet coin. 2008 is looking good.
TN Joe

OP
OP
incajoe

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Tennessee-Joe said:
Joe,
Super Sweet coin. 2008 is looking good.
TN Joe

I can't wait to see what the year brings. I've got some really promising spots picked out to hunt so I'm anticipating a great year ahead.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Rockin' find!
Baggins

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your 1749 is an excellent example of a Regal coin and how in general they hold up much better that most of the counterfeits that circulated and that we find in general in a not so pretty state. I have an rather great 1749 KGII, that year there was a great influx of them from England.

Here is a blurp from the Notre Dame site:

"Comments: This shows the final of the three George II portraits and the second of two reverses used in this series. The example displayed here may have been part of the large group of some 800,000 halfpennies dated 1749 that were shipped to Massachusetts as partial payment to the colonists for their assistance in the Lewisburg expedition."

Don

OP
OP
incajoe

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Don in SJ said:
Your 1749 is an excellent example of a Regal coin and how in general they hold up much better that most of the counterfeits that circulated and that we find in general in a not so pretty state. I have an rather great 1749 KGII, that year there was a great influx of them from England.

Here is a blurp from the Notre Dame site:

"Comments: This shows the final of the three George II portraits and the second of two reverses used in this series. The example displayed here may have been part of the large group of some 800,000 halfpennies dated 1749 that were shipped to Massachusetts as partial payment to the colonists for their assistance in the Lewisburg expedition."

Don

Don,
Thank you for that info! I honestly wasn't even sure if it was a half penny or not but this really gives some insight about where the coin possibly came from.

OP
OP
incajoe

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Neil in West Jersey said:
Amazing find with a Radio Shack detector!

Congrats~!

Neil,
Don't be surprised. Last year I found 4 colonial coppers all at least 7 inches deep maybe as much as 9. The Radio Shack discovery 3000 and 3300 (The ones I've used) are actually darn good detectors for the money. Not that they compare to the high end Whites, Tesoro or Minelabs but you can still make very good finds with them.

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
A hearty congrats incajoe !! :wav: I had a very similar experience yesterday :icon_thumleft:

A SUPERB KG coppa !! Where theres 1 theres gotta be more ! Hit the site hard!

HH ! Derek.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That's a great way to start any day month or yr.

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread