Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Home with the kids today 'cause they're still on winter break, I decided to go out and get coin to give us something to do.
-Between 2 banks and a CU, we picked up $300 in quarters, $60 in nickels, $5 in loose halves, and three String boxes of dimes. All three dime boxes stamped Dec. 2012.
-Burnt through the quarters and nickels with nothing to show except a half-dozen 'pre-'50 and a nice '39.
-$5 in halves gave one gold-toned '68.
-Dimes were good, wish I'd scored more boxes.

Canadian 1956
Mercury dimes 1942S and 44D
Roosevelts 46D, 53D(2), and 64(2)

Before dumping my daughters mem cents ($9.25), I reached down to check the reject cup by habit, and it was overflowing with coins. Three US quarters, 36 Canadian quarters, 4 Can. nickels, and over a dozen Can. dimes...

Does anyone know if the gold 1968 half has any value over melt? (j/k)

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 115
Upvote 0

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
fistfulladirt said:
Does anyone know if the gold 1968 half has any value over melt? (j/k)

I got a laugh in Nov. when a Chse bank manager in Miami told me that the 1976 Gold plated ones were worth $100 - a special edition that the mint released. I didn't laugh in his face but laughed with my wife later.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice haul, you're on the charts for 2013, best of luck my friend!
hh
buff

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome to get some Mercs for the start of your year.. Out of all the "gold" halves I have found, I have never seen one that had any silver..

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Fist, those were some nice Dime boxes there! I also have one of those gold toned halves, I think it is a 67, saw it from the edge when I opened the roll and figured it was a clad, it is the only gold toned pre 70 I have ever found. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
fistfulladirt

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Fist, those were some nice Dime boxes there! I also have one of those gold toned halves, I think it is a 67, saw it from the edge when I opened the roll and figured it was a clad, it is the only gold toned pre 70 I have ever found. HH, Maverick.
Mav, keep yore I's opened for gold-plated silver rosies, and chrome-plated silver rosies, and chrome-plated 90% Kennedys. Eye've found a few.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mav, keep yore I's opened for gold-plated silver rosies, and chrome-plated silver rosies, and chrome-plated 90% Kennedys. Eye've found a few.

I have a gold plated rosie... Couldn't find any info about it though... It was definitely a later year and not silver... Think it was from the 90s

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the 80's you could buy a gold plate machine (Used for high lighting car parts) Back in the 60's you could pick these up when I was in Hong Kong for 65cents,

OP
OP
fistfulladirt

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in the 80's you could buy a gold plate machine (Used for high lighting car parts) Back in the 60's you could pick these up when I was in Hong Kong for 65cents,
Wonder if that was thru the JCWhitney catalog. I rember those anodizing kits...I bet that's where a lot of these thin-plated coins come from.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got several mercs from the reject slot in the Coinstar machine at my job,for some reason that machine hates them,I even talked to the Coinstar rep that comes and cleans the machine and he was puzzled?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got several mercs from the reject slot in the Coinstar machine at my job,for some reason that machine hates them,I even talked to the Coinstar rep that comes and cleans the machine and he was puzzled?

That's because they aren't tuned to recognize silver, thus they reject.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread