First neg feedback on eBay :(

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long story short buyer opened a case saying product was not as described, I quickly refunded him figuring that would altogether cancel the transaction, buyer then left me a negative.... Its really got me down... now my feedback is 326 positive and 1 negative with a 99.6% positive. I sent eBay a message not sure if they can change it. Any suggestions?

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That happened to me five years ago. At that time both parties had to agree to the change. You opened a case with eBay, that's all you can do.

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, but it took weeks and a lot of follow up. Again, I don't know the rules as they are today.

OP
OP
TreasureHunters

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
update: Seller sent a message thanking me for the refund and asked how he can revise it, I sent him the link. Fingers crossed

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
These are difficult situations, to say the least, and there is no easy answer most of the time.

Have you considered sending an email very gently explaining that you gladly refunded their money, let them keep the item, apologizing profusely, and adding that you are just a guy trying to make a few extra dollars in a tough economy? One angle to consider in appealing to the buyer is that you never intended to make them angry, and that you want to apologize for the whole thing?

What happens if you send the email, allow them to cool off for a few days, and then send the buyer a "request to modify feedback"?

And, while I may be mistaken, I thought that ebay's new policy was to remove any negative feedback where the buyer had received a refund??

OP
OP
TreasureHunters

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are difficult situations, to say the least, and there is no easy answer most of the time.

Have you considered sending an email very gently explaining that you gladly refunded their money, let them keep the item, apologizing profusely, and adding that you are just a guy trying to make a few extra dollars in a tough economy? One angle to consider in appealing to the buyer is that you never intended to make them angry, and that you want to apologize for the whole thing?

What happens if you send the email, allow them to cool off for a few days, and then send the buyer a "request to modify feedback"?

And, while I may be mistaken, I thought that ebay's new policy was to remove any negative feedback where the buyer had received a refund??

Not sure about the policy but thats exactly what I did was send a nice email and told him to keep it... It was $25 but for some reason I want my feedback at 100% lol...he said he will change it, just waiting..

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Not sure about the policy but thats exactly what I did was send a nice email and told him to keep it... It was $25 but for some reason I want my feedback at 100% lol...he said he will change it, just waiting..

If you sent the link, he should be able to modify the FB.

If he doesn't, I think I read that ebay's new policy was to remove negatives if you refunded the buyer's money. This was supposed to take place with part of their new seller protection policy.

Does anyone know for sure?

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is nothing listed in their policies about removal for a refunded purchase.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this- There are some situations when buyers can revise the Feedback comment or rating, or the detailed seller ratings (DSRs) they've left for sellers. For example, if the seller fixes a problem with the transaction, or if the buyer accidentally left the wrong Feedback.
In these situations, sellers can request a Feedback revision.
here- How sellers can request Feedback revisions from buyers

Since you've already refunded the buyer, you should be able to request a feedback revision yourself too.
Hopefully the buyer will take care of it, but in the meantime... use the link provided in the link I gave you (
Request Feedback Revision page) to request the feedback removal yourself. Good luck.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The buyer will have to agree because ebay won't change it. I had one idiot leave me three just because of one item he thought was something that it was not. (and you can't leave three negatives when you only have an issue with one, or at least that's how it's suppose to work)

Everyone gets negatives at some point because there's no doubt people that love the opportunity to be the one that breaks your streak, among many other reasons. I used to care a little about feedback but these days I'll take the steps I need to do if I have a problem, but otherwise I don't care or even think about it. It only exists for me because I have to deal with it when I leave it.

Last edited:

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Everyone gets negatives at some point because there's no doubt people that love the opportunity to be the one that breaks your streak, among many other reasons.

Very true.

Another point is that you can't avoid the crazy/stupid/impossible to please people forever.

The only neg that I've received so far came from a guy that wanted super special packaging on an item that my wife accidentally listed for $49 instead of $149. I was still going to honor the deal and ship the item, but told him it would cost another $3 to ship because of his special packaging. The dude went ballistic, and left me a neg before I even shipped the item...and then told me "it will be broken in shipping when I get it". Turns out that this loon was going to resell the item on ebay. The buyer had a feedback of 69, but had left 28 negatives for other sellers.

Eventually, no matter what you do, you are going to run into a crazy sometime.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very true.

Another point is that you can't avoid the crazy/stupid/impossible to please people forever.

The only neg that I've received so far came from a guy that wanted super special packaging on an item that my wife accidentally listed for $49 instead of $149. I was still going to honor the deal and ship the item, but told him it would cost another $3 to ship because of his special packaging. The dude went ballistic, and left me a neg before I even shipped the item...and then told me "it will be broken in shipping when I get it". Turns out that this loon was going to resell the item on ebay. The buyer had a feedback of 69, but had left 28 negatives for other sellers.

When I said many other reasons that includes the impossible people. But it's funny because I've learned a little from them and when a seller deceives me on an item, or another good reason, I play a little of the crazy-impossible person myself. I do it to make sure I'm not going to lose money, but also because they deserve a little aggravation because they had no problem putting it on me.

Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very true.

It wouldn't be hard to get that feedback changed now. With a record like that, they would probably lose their Ebay Buyer's protection as well.

russdaddy

Greenie
Jan 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long story short buyer opened a case saying product was not as described, I quickly refunded him figuring that would altogether cancel the transaction, buyer then left me a negative.... Its really got me down... now my feedback is 326 positive and 1 negative with a 99.6% positive. I sent eBay a message not sure if they can change it. Any suggestions?

Did he have alegitimate complaint about it not being as described?

OP
OP
TreasureHunters

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah he opened a case but I refunded and it closed then... update: He revised it to positive instead :) Guess thats good and prepares me for the inevitable first neg feedback...

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
It wouldn't be hard to get that feedback changed now. With a record like that, they would probably lose their Ebay Buyer's protection as well.

Thanks for the reply.

Are you saying that I should try to get the neg removed, even though it happened over a year ago...or that it would be easy to change if the same situation happened today?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have just over 400 feedback @ 100% so if I get a neg it won't bother me. You have to look at the overall picture. I got a neutral last year and it will fall off in a few months.

Anyone could tell from the comment left that the neutral was not deserved.
I sold a "junk drawer lot" and they complained 2 things were broken.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread