First outing since back surgery

jwp1964

Dec 18, 2014
Maryville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Lite, Garrett Freedom Ace Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for a couple door knocks with JD from JDs Variety Channel on YouTube. I had my L4/5 fused 7 weeks ago and still not 100%. JD was kind enough to dig my targets that I marked with red poker chips.

JD got 3 silvers and a wheat. I was able to get my 58th silver FTY, nice 1937 Merc. I was also able to get an 1882 IHC and 1886 Var 2 IHC plus wheats number 541 & 542 FTY, some clad and a couple relics. My favorite find of the day is what I think is an old piece of local history.

Seems to be an aluminum advertisement pill box. Says "Albrights Drug Store Near L & N Station, Knoxville.

I found out I can stand and swing my Deus Lite as long as there is no twisting or bending.

Cannot thank JD enough for digging my targets. I tried to only mark targets I was certain were nice.

84c18cba4a47b07028344fa9d7530ba0.jpg

47b97d544184115c475189ad1a557f8e.jpg

870a8aa50b5ec2bb1bb3abe2626f54f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 19

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sorry to hear about your surgery. My dive partner Kevin just had it two weeks ago. He won't be diving till next spring if at all. Back surgery and neck surgery is scary.

I hope you heal and I am glad you have a friend to dig for you. Putting down poker chips is ingenious!! Maybe I can have Kevin drop a bunch of his silver dollars so I can dig his coins? That would give me some sort of pay for helping!!

Congrats on your silver. Thanks for the idea. I would have never thought of it.

Shenandoah57

Sep 11, 2016
near Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JWP, Sorry about you spinal issues, but know this - you are a member in good standing in a very large club. You do have a great friend in JD. Good digging partners are hard to find. Usually when we enter the field we separate and then compete to one degree or another. lol

I myself have not been able to return to metal detecting for several years. In the last 11 or 12 years I have had to hang it up, as I have now had eight major spinal surgeries to both the cervical and the lumbar areas. Walking is limited, but bending and digging is out, plus the weight of holding and swinging my detector. Hearing your story is a great way for me to enjoy the hobby, sorta.... lol Terry

Ice Scratcher

Jul 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see you back in the game brother!!

Just take er easy for a while...

Thanks for helping out JD, good fellas all around...

<°)))>{

OP
OP
J

jwp1964

Dec 18, 2014
Maryville, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about your surgery. My dive partner Kevin just had it two weeks ago. He won't be diving till next spring if at all. Back surgery and neck surgery is scary.

I hope you heal and I am glad you have a friend to dig for you. Putting down poker chips is ingenious!! Maybe I can have Kevin drop a bunch of his silver dollars so I can dig his coins? That would give me some sort of pay for helping!!

Congrats on your silver. Thanks for the idea. I would have never thought of it.

Thanks Scuba. Hope your buddy heals up quick.

JWP, Sorry about you spinal issues, but know this - you are a member in good standing in a very large club. You do have a great friend in JD. Good digging partners are hard to find. Usually when we enter the field we separate and then compete to one degree or another. lol

I myself have not been able to return to metal detecting for several years. In the last 11 or 12 years I have had to hang it up, as I have now had eight major spinal surgeries to both the cervical and the lumbar areas. Walking is limited, but bending and digging is out, plus the weight of holding and swinging my detector. Hearing your story is a great way for me to enjoy the hobby, sorta.... lol Terry

Thanks Shenandoah. Sorry to hear ya can't get out any more. This is back surgery #2 for me. 5 years since first one.

Good to see you back in the game brother!!

Just take er easy for a while...

Thanks for helping out JD, good fellas all around...

<°)))>{

Thanks Ice. Definitely not going to over do it! Good to have buddies willing to help out when you're down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been there brother. Had a failed back fusion that forced me to retire at 35 years old. Been trying to work on my strength and conditioning. Back is no joke. Bought a metal detector to help me get some exercise 2 years ago, and it's been a life saver. I've lost 50 pounds from swinging, which has taken bunch strain off my back. Best hobby in the world. Make sure to take it easy these next couple months until you know the fusion has taken root. Mine kept breaking unfortunately. But awesome to read that you're out there after only 7 weeks doing what you love. That's what it's all about. Cheers brother. And you're right, that is a beautiful Merc.

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your finds and good luck with the back fusion. I've had 2 lumbar and 2 cervical fusions and doing great at almost 70

OP
OP
J

jwp1964

Dec 18, 2014
Maryville, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there brother. Had a failed back fusion that forced me to retire at 35 years old. Been trying to work on my strength and conditioning. Back is no joke. Bought a metal detector to help me get some exercise 2 years ago, and it's been a life saver. I've lost 50 pounds from swinging, which has taken bunch strain off my back. Best hobby in the world. Make sure to take it easy these next couple months until you know the fusion has taken root. Mine kept breaking unfortunately. But awesome to read that you're out there after only 7 weeks doing what you love. That's what it's all about. Cheers brother. And you're right, that is a beautiful Merc.

Thanks. Having hunting buddies willing to dig my targets is the only way I'd attempt it right now. In another couple months I may try digging again if the Dr says fusion is healing well.

Congrats on your finds and good luck with the back fusion. I've had 2 lumbar and 2 cervical fusions and doing great at almost 70

Thanks Trapper. I'm glad to have the stability of the fusion because I had been to ER because vertebrae were like scissors on spinal cord.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back issues are tough to deal with, but glad to see you are able to get out and swing. Hat's off to JD! What a great friend and hunting partner! That pill box is certainly unique and pretty cool. Of course, always love to see the coins. Congrats on some nice finds, and hope you are able to recover quickly.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JD's a gentleman and real friend! I tip my hat to you JD, I had back injury and only help I had for digging was my dog ;) Wish you a complete recovery and many hunts.

OP
OP
J

jwp1964

Dec 18, 2014
Maryville, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back issues are tough to deal with, but glad to see you are able to get out and swing. Hat's off to JD! What a great friend and hunting partner! That pill box is certainly unique and pretty cool. Of course, always love to see the coins. Congrats on some nice finds, and hope you are able to recover quickly.

Thanks Tommy. Yep, JD and my other hunting buddies are really helping out!

JD's a gentleman and real friend! I tip my hat to you JD, I had back injury and only help I had for digging was my dog ;) Wish you a complete recovery and many hunts.

Thanks Bill. Great guys I have to dig with.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
God bless JD. :notworthy: Nice to have a friend like that, he's a true friend. Congrats on getting out and locating all those keepers. Bet it felt great to be out enjoying the obsession again. :thumbsup:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
AH , NICE GUM STICKER YOU GOT THERE ALONG WITH THEM COINS ..

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds I have a very hard time finding silver coins. I'm glad you have a true friend that will help you.when theres a will theres a way!!!We are treasure hunters have you ever considered coin roll hunting seems people do pretty well check out the coin roll hunting section just a thought sounds pretty fun!!! Hope you recover well Thanks for sharing your finds!!!!!!

OP
OP
J

jwp1964

Dec 18, 2014
Maryville, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
God bless JD. :notworthy: Nice to have a friend like that, he's a true friend. Congrats on getting out and locating all those keepers. Bet it felt great to be out enjoying the obsession again. :thumbsup:

Thanks Loco. Definitely good to have good MDing buddies like JD.

AH , NICE GUM STICKER YOU GOT THERE ALONG WITH THEM COINS ..

Thanks sutphin.

Great finds I have a very hard time finding silver coins. I'm glad you have a true friend that will help you.when theres a will theres a way!!!We are treasure hunters have you ever considered coin roll hunting seems people do pretty well check out the coin roll hunting section just a thought sounds pretty fun!!! Hope you recover well Thanks for sharing your finds!!!!!!

Thanks A2 coins. Ive been to visit friends near your area and it seems like lots of old homes that might have some silver. Do you ever do any door knocking? 95% or more of my silver finds come from door knocking residential areas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread