FIRST ROBIN OF THE SEASON

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
i saw the first robin of the season today at 12:20 pm. boy somebody needs to fire that ground hog ? is that ever a racket ? who's making money off that anyway ? thats what i need to do ? figure a racket i can make money off of ? i'm still lookin for a good luck charm ? that robin is gonna need a good luck charm too ? worms aint gonna show their faces for another month ? all they eat is worms ? whats with that ?

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Not true! They eat wild grapes and crab-apples and what ever else they can find. I've seen robins off and on all Winter. No denying it tho, they do like worms.

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We knew the robins were getting ready to head back north when THOUSANDS of them spent a couple of days in our trees in Florida, causing a racket! They headed out about three weeks ago, and clearly had the wrong info about the end of winter!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Saw my first Robin herein the south last week while feeding my pet doves.

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been seeing them here in my feeders for a couple of weeks now... Yes they do eat out of bird feeders too.. :laughing7:

OP
OP
nomad 11

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
Not true! They eat wild grapes and crab-apples and what ever else they can find. I've seen robins off and on all Winter. No denying it tho, they do like worms.
man in all my 85 year have i ever seen a robin eat a grape or crab apple or birdseed ? them must have been some weird robins. are there different species ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
nomad 11

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
We knew the robins were getting ready to head back north when THOUSANDS of them spent a couple of days in our trees in Florida, causing a racket! They headed out about three weeks ago, and clearly had the wrong info about the end of winter!
so do they all go to flordida for the winter or are they diverse. some go to flordida, some to alabama, some to mississippii, some to texas and so on ? there are'nt any worms in flordida though are there ?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm Still learning my 'Birds' but I know that I saw a Robin Hopping around under our bushes out front last Sunday but it was
70 o that Day. It's around 50 now , low suppose to be around 32-34 When I go detect tomorrow , now my back needs to quit hurting first , I can barley move ....Ouch.

I can say I don't recall seeing one at our feeders before but there is a Good Size Woodpecker or 2 that visits every now and again.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only been able to get out and detect once in 2018. That was last week and it was 54 degrees.
I saw some worms but no robins.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Robins also love to gobble down those fuzzy red Staghorn Sumac berries.

BTW, mix those red berry clusters with water, strain, add sugar and you have a potent lemonade-like drink full of vitamin C.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been seeing them here in my feeders for a couple of weeks now... Yes they do eat out of bird feeders too.. :laughing7:

Agreed... Over here in Centerville, TN. we've had robins around for 2-3 weeks now.

Now 3 days ago I did have 60-70+ turkeys in my front lawn along with a deer. And yesterday I had about 30-40 turkeys in the back yard according to the dogs inside when I finally looked. And today I was using the "outside" facilities by my wood shop and saw 6 turkeys walk right now my road just looking at me. I really don't know who's pecker was larger.... but they don't get to vote!

Last edited:

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I know that when I start seeing timberdoodles it's time to go walleye fishing. All woodcock eat are worms and bugs from the leaf litter. I suppose the ground is thawed then.

I love that old-time outdoors stuff. My uncle used to know things like just when the suckers would run in the streams and the eels would move upstream from the mud banks. I wish I had paid more attention to that and less attention to other things.
HH
dts

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw my first robin on Friday, Feb. 23..........I have never seen a robin in Feb. in PA...........

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like robins. I will repeat that. I don't like robins. All they do is eat my cherries, strawberries and blue berries. Even with netting on my fruit, them sometimes get under and eat every last berry.

chatterbait

Dec 27, 2016
Gloucester co.NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4,AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They come like clockwork to my big holly tree every February.At least a hundred.They eat every red berry off of it.But also leave about a half an inch of bird dropping on my cars but its worth it to watch them.They perch on every surface for their turn at the tree.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread