First silver coins EVER!!!

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of you guys pull silver out of the ground almost every day. But I live in a city (Las Vegas), where almost nothing is old. (Las Vegas is a city of two million, but in 1960, it was a city of only about 20,000). I started metal detecting in April 2014. After a while, just pulling tons of clad out of the ground starts to get old. A few weeks ago I actually started to get serious about finding some silver coinage. Today I went to the 'hood and found an abandoned house built in 1955 (ancient by Las Vegas standards) and detected the back yard. I detected the entire back yard, then cut across the yard on the way back to my car. The Garrett Ace 250 gave a half dollar signal and I dug up the Washington quarter (1953-S) in a spot I'd already gone over. I tried the side of the house, then headed back toward my car again and saw the Roosevelt (1955-D) lying on top of the ground right before I swept my detector over it--again in a spot I'd already detected.
Last week I did another old house (built in 1952). I pulled out ten wheat pennies, but no silver. In this yard, I found only one wheat, but managed the two silvers. Doesn't seem to make sense, but oh, well. I'm happy to have FINALLY found silver.
IMG_0004.JPG

Upvote 18
OP
OP
S

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrates. I haven`t been detecting for that long either( about a year and a half )and it took me a year to find my first silver. Everyone on here says it takes ATLEAST 100 hours on your machine to start to really understand it and you can believe it. I have learned to adjust my detector so that I now feel that I'm taking full advantage of its limitations. As others have said , you first must put yourself in a area old enough and then the rest is up to you. One thing you might try is slowing down and make sure your not skipping ground as you walk (gridding the area( will help ). I have to keep telling myself this when I get excited over finds( I'm 6`2" and tend to make too big a stride).........HH.....David

Good advice. I'm 6'4" and tend to move a little too fast. I know I miss targets. I recently complained to an old detecting friend that my machine couldn't tell a pull tab from a nickel. Then he gave me a pointer on how to tell the difference. Now I'm finding more nickels than I've ever found. Amazing how much you can learn even after you get a gazillion hours on your machine.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver! Big congrats

afxtwin

Nov 12, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Deteknix Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats! first finds are always so exhilarating! HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions