First Tattoo and It's a Beauty! Lynyrd Skynyrd and Treasue Hunting Combined.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never seen anybody with tattoos get offended by people “staring” at them. It seems to me that you are projecting your dislike for tattoos.

I got tattoos for the same reason I obtained all of my other possessions....I wanted to! I would not, and do not, give a tinker’s dam if anyone approves or disapproves.

Most peeps I know with Tattoos enjoy talking about them. I've never had any professional ones, which is great because some of the stuff i had planned to tattoo on myself years ago, would be horrible right now lol.

I thought about getting one on my 40th B-day that encompassed my passion for Treasure Hunting....and Waylon of course

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..... It seems to me that you are projecting your dislike for tattoos.

Those are your words .. not mine! I said nothing about liking them or disliking them. For all you know, I might look like a walking billboard.

Last edited:

Mother Superior

Jan 18, 2017
Quebec city
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are your words .. not mine! I said nothing about liking them or disliking them. For all you know, I might look like a walking billboard.

I mean no disrespect, but I doubt you would have suggested that tattooed people are angered by people staring at them if you were yourself covered in them.
Your questions and this affirmation are pretty clear indication that you are not entirely familiar with the subject, which by the way is totaly allright. We all like different stuff and that's the beauty of life.
In my humble opinion, judgingly staring at anyone because of their appearances is a lack of respect.

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Unlikely, I’ll hold at my original assessment.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
All this reminds me of an exchange my grandmother once had with another old lady over some hair product at the dime store.

Whatever it was, the lady saw my grandmother pick it off the shelf and put it in her basket and said to my grandmother, “I don’t like ___(whatever it was)____."

My grandmother replied, “GOOD! If everybody liked the same thing, there wouldn’t be enough of it to go around.”

The lady gave a rather indignant shrug and retorted, "every person to their own taste said the woman as she licked her cow" and sashayed on down the isle.

That became one of my grandmother's all-time favorite stories! I still miss that lady!

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi , Are tattoos more abundant in prisons or art galleries ?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
soooo, you got a permanent tattoo of a man's name?

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
soooo, you got a permanent tattoo of a man's name?

No actual person in this world is named "Lynyrd Skynyrd", as far as I know. They named the group "Lynyrd Skynyrd" to annoy their high school gym teacher, Leonard Skinner, who hated them because of their long hair. He was always suspending them from school over it, since it was a dress code violation at their school (Robert E Lee High School). They ended up being friends, though, after they rose to fame and fortune and that gave him a little fame as well.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
spelling heh! it's a mans name
if you want it ok

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spelling heh! it's a mans name
if you want it ok

Yes, I do want it and I'm proud to wear it on my arm until the day I die...

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
good for you! get out of that closet

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I know a guy that was liking a girl at a bar. She told him, "I have a tattoo on my butt.
It says MOM but if you turn me upside down it says WOW!"

Sure some might get a tat because they crave attention but for others it's a Right of Passage.
A social statement. I once rode. With Harley riders tats are almost expected. A display of loyalty.
sometimes affiliation. Some tats say "I'm all in".
Some amazing people are the original New Zealand. Their tats were a mark of many things. Fearless,
loyal, warrior, status.

Probably those that freak over tats might look to see what a complex decision tats are.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lynyrd Skynyrd legends. 3 guitars, perfect song writing. Johnny Van Zant had a few great solo albums, brother Donnie ...lead singer of .38 special.
Great tattoo! I was never a real big fan until my daughter (23) got angel wings and a cancer tribute for her grandma.

The members of the band all went to school together in Jacksonville, Florida. They had a teacher called Leonard Skinner who demanded that they get their hair cut before returning to school. This was the catalyst for them to not only leave school permanently and form a band but also to name the band after Skinner (with a few letters changed so he wouldn't sue them).

Skinner died on September 21, 2010 at age 77. Gary Rossington released a statement saying: "Coach Skinner had such a profound impact on our youth that ultimately led us to naming the band, which you know as Lynyrd Skynyrd, after him. Looking back, I cannot imagine it any other way. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family at this time.

On October 20, 1977, Ronnie Van Zant and Steve Gaines died in a plane crash in Mississippi. Gaines' sister, Cassie, who was a backup singer with the group, also died. Walter Wiley McCreary (pilot) William John Gray (co-pliot), Dean Kilpatrick (manager) were also killed in the accident.

Johnny Van Zant took over vocals when his brother died. Their other brother, Donnie is lead singer of .38 Special.
Allen Collins survived the 1977 plane crash, but became paralyzed from the waist down in a 1986 car crash (a girl he was with died in the accident). He died January 23, 1990 from pneumonia as a result of decreased lung capacity from paralyzation.

Wilkeson died in his sleep in 2001 at age 49. The band continued their tour as a tribute to him.
King and his replacement, Steve Gaines, were both born on the same day, September 14, 1949.
Ronnie Van Zant, Collins, and Rossington all played together in high school in several different bands. Names included: Sons of Satan, Conqueror Worm, and One Per Cent.

After the plane crash, the remaining members said that Lynyrd Skynyrd was finished, with Collins stating, "Some people are telling us we should keep the name because it obviously has value since people recognize it. To hell with them. In 1980, Rossington, Collins, Powell, and Wilkeson formed the Rossington-Collins Band, but they later decided to revive Lynyrd Skynyd with the addition of Johnny Van Zant.

Van Zant's marble slab from his gravesite was stolen in 1982. Police found it two weeks later in a dried up river bed.
They played schools, parties, and bars for years before they hit it big. The band was first discovered in a rock club called Funnochio's, on Peachtree Street in Atlanta, Georgia, in 1972. They were found by the famous (or perhaps infamous) Al Kooper, who had just landed an executive position at MCA Records and was itching to find some new talent for MCA's "Sounds of the South" label. Kooper was on tour supporting Badfinger at the time.

Other acts Kooper signed included Mose Jones and Blues Project, but Skynyrd was the only band to sell well, and MCA dropped Sounds Of The South while keeping Skynyrd.

Al Kooper told Rolling Stone magazine, April 15, 2004: "Ronnie Van Zant was Lynyrd Skynyrd. I don't mean to demean the roles the others played in the group's success, but it never would have happened without him. His lyrics were a big part of it - like Woody Guthrie and Merle Haggard before him, Ronnie knew how to cut to the chase. And Ronnie ran that band with an iron hand. I have never seen such internal discipline in a band. One example: These guys composed all of their guitar solos. Most bands improvised solos each time they performed or recorded. Not them. Ronnie's dream was that they would sound exactly the same every time they took the stage.

Rossington, Burns and Ronnie Van Zant met at a Little League game. Van Zant hit a line drive off Burns' head, but after the game they got together and formed a band.

They pride themselves on writing songs that are easy to understand.
On many of their songs, all 3 guitarists play at once.
Ronnie Van Zant wrote most of their lyrics, but usually didn't write them down. He would come to the studio with them in his head.
The band formed in 1964 and settled upon the name Lynyrd Skynyrd in 1966. Their very first band name was "My Backyard." The band at this time consisted of Ronnie Van Zant, Bob Burns, Gary Rossington, Allen Collins, and Larry Junstrum.
Lynyrd Skynyrd put the "Y"s in their name in reference to The Byrds. (thanks, Harrison - Saint John, Canada)
Lynyrd Skynyrd are in the Guiness Book of World Records for a Rock band which is still going while having the most original members to die. The plane crash that killed so many also killed one of their managers. The total dead is five.

In one of the oddest pairings since Jimi Hendrix played with The Monkees, they played 4 shows in Germany with Queen in 1971. The groups did not get along.
The initial recordings for their first album began in 1972 at Muscle Shoals, Alabama, but the original album did not receive much attention and the band continued to play concerts around the South and add tracks to the album. By the time it was released, 20 tracks had been recorded for the debut. Some of these tracks were refined later and selected for other albums. Skynyrd's First... The Complete Muscle Shoals Album captures all of these recordings in one album.

Ronnie Van Zant didn't wear shoes when performing live. (thanks, Aaron - Twin Cities, MN, for above 2)
The bodies of Ronnie Van Zant and another Skynyrd band member were illegally removed from their graves by vandals, apparently to confirm the rumor that Ronnie is wearing a T-shirt featuring rival Neil Young. Their bodies have been moved to an undisclosed location.

It took them 7 tries to get into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. In 2005, they were finally voted in. At the ceremonies in 2006, Kid Rock was their presenter.
Billy Powell, who was one of the survivors of the 1977 plane crash, died on January 28, 2009 after a history of heart trouble.

None of the band members were wearing shoes at the time of their 1977 plane crash.
On their very first national tour, they opened for the Who. And got encores.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On October 20, 1977, Ronnie Van Zant and Steve Gaines died in a plane crash in Mississippi. Gaines' sister, Cassie, who was a backup singer with the group, also died. Walter Wiley McCreary (pilot) William John Gray (co-pliot), Dean Kilpatrick (manager) were also killed in the accident.

They all died because the plane ran out of fuel. That's the saddest part of it all. Not engine failure or the wing feel off, but because it ran out of fuel. Unbelievable...

bleeohio

Apr 8, 2017
Nw ohio
Detector(s) used
This space for rent...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My one and only tat ended up on my arm because the hottest chick in my senior class said it would light her fire. So I went out and got a big lion head , looks good but I found out she's a liar and that my dad didn't share the same enthusiasm for body art as most people.

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi , Are tattoos more abundant in prisons or art galleries ?

Based on the artists I know it would be very close. But the artists will have a $2000 sleeve and the prisoner will have a $200 sleeve. I check this thread every morning so I’ll know who the hens are. I appreciate all of you letting me know what kind of person you are ahead of time. Judging people with tattoos or because of skin color OR sexual preference is so very unintelligent. If you want to go out of your way to let people know that’s who you are then by all
means, do me that favor.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread