First time out - beginners luck?

tenseventyfive

Apr 25, 2010
First time out - beginner's luck?

Ok so I took the plunge yesterday - I asked for halfs at my bank and took the entire $200. they had. They told me I could order boxes of all types if I call a week ahead for it, without charging me fees. Are there normally fees assosciated with getting boxes? Anyhow - I took them home and started searching, and the first 4 rolls had ZERO. But then.... next roll had a few Kennedys 67-69, and they stood out rather starkly from the others, so rather than search coin to coin I started checking sides. It's pretty clear what's silver and what's not. The NEXT roll, however... I want to say OMG but I don't have a frame of reference. There were ELEVEN Franklin halfs, 49, 52 x2, 54, 57, 58 x2, 62 and 63 x2. Maybe 1 or 2 Ken's there too - seemed like a great haul for one roll. Then about 3 rolls later I got another seven Franklins, a 51, 57, and FIVE 63's. I can't see how this could be normal - maybe people in my area just don't CRH - I mean, I never heard of it until about 2 weeks ago so that might be the case. In any event, here's the wrapup - please let me know if this is good, normal, poor:

$200 in halfs - so 400 coins:
Kennedys
1967 - 13
1968 - 12
1969 - 3
total: 28

Franklins (listed above): 19

so 47 hits out of 400 coins = 11.75% success rate - again, is this about normal? A jackpot? Beginner's luck?

A promising, encouraging start, if nothing else. My plan was to separate by type and store until silver prices take off, as I suspect they will do in the next decade. Is there any category I should save for numismatic value rather than melt value?

Oh one more thing - I am OUT on doing dimes. The print is just too tiny and a hassle to check out, but halfs seem a breeze :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
Re: First time out - beginner's luck?

would separate by 40%, 1964s, bens, walkers

beginners luck/no one hunts in your area and they have just been sitting at bank for a while :icon_thumleft:

where you from? what bank name?

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro

I happens that way now and then. Last year Silver was raining down on us (wife & I ), but this year only one decent box with less than 100 in it & 2 spectacular cold calls 275 in one the other 175, otherwise this year has seen months of nothing interspersed with a W-O-W!

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan

You hit the jackpot!

Take them up on the offer to buy a box of halves. but find another bank that you can dump them at. Most of us keep the buy and dump sides separated. Nothing will slow your roll faster than a bank that orders you a box of coin only to have it returned to them. Most banks get coin orders in once a week. so many of us have standing box orders.

It appears as though your area may be free of other hunters or maybe they just got dropped off recently before anyone else got to it.

I have a couple of questions for you.

How did you hear about CRH?
How did you hear about this forum?
What part of the country are you in? or better yet City if you don't mind. I'm not going to come to your city but it's nice to know what areas are covered.

Welcome aboard and lots of luck in your future searches.

Come here everyday and read the posts. Most questions that you have are answered here in topics all the time. Questions that you haven't even pondered as well. There is so much knowledge and wisdom (for the most part) shared here on this forum. But there is an occasional wak job so after a while you'll figure out the Wise from the Lunatic.

Mojo

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer

Let's put it this way. You will have some better days, but you will find much less, more often. We don't need to know the name of your bank, but I am curious about what part of the country your are from? Now what will you do? Stock pile all the silver coins? Collect the best example of each? Or sell the works and expand your bank roll.

It is quite a rush. Sounds like the bank is willing to work with collectors. Other banks in the general area may have some old stock as well.

Congratulations on the first of many good finds.

OP
OP
tenseventyfive

tenseventyfive

Apr 25, 2010

Thanks guys! Seems like I did indeed luck out first time - that's enough to keep me encouraged through the dry times I am sure will come. As for what I will do with whatever I find, my goal is to store it up until silver makes a decent move up, into the 20's or 30's (or, God willing, higher) I know it came from under 10 about 2 yrs ago but other metals have made huge moves (Palladium $189/oz to $565/oz, for example) so I am thinking that as world consumption increases via China and India, that it will have it's day in the sun too.

As for Mojo:
How did you hear about CRH? Someone on the DumpsterDiver site linked it for me
How did you hear about this forum? same as above
What part of the country are you in? or better yet City if you don't mind. I'm not going to come to your city but it's nice to know what areas are covered. I am in the Northeast US - New Jersey, specifically

Thanks for all the info!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

A MOST excellent haul! Enjoy the moment, it doesn't happen often! ffd

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2

Excellent hit! No, this does not happen all the time, not even often! At least you know what a good score is like, early. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

chow

Feb 25, 2010
MIDWEST

fair warning - you are now officially hooked! the very first box i "bought" had 26-40%'s...that was enough to get me hooked. what i've learned over the years is that volume = silver. i've had runs of 20+ skunks, then i get on a tear of 10+ silvers per box. there's no rhyme or reason to this, but i can tell you that you can count on the averages if you crank through the volume. good luck and welcome to the fold!

Kauka

Apr 22, 2010

nice haul
i've yet to find any yet
i'll keep perservering for now

gold eye

Jan 2, 2010
tampa fl
Detector(s) used
garret masterhunter 7x ace 250

Congrats on the find i had the same thing happen to me on my first hunt 39 silver coins out of 98 dollars in halves it made my day and so this is how it all begins i hit banks any time i can happy hunting. RON

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro

A very very good find but by no means the norm. You will have some better and some worse. That is the name of the game.

golden silver

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009

"so rather than search coin to coin I started checking sides"

By doing this you will speed your time but believe me [i didnt at first till i seen it by accident] you will MISS some silver coins. Not to mention proofs and magician coins etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread