First Time Out With The Explorer SE

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Well, I have had the machine 2 weeks now and actually got to use it for a few hours today. It's a lot different then the DFX. You really have to slow your swing down with the SE. I am running it wide open with no disc. what so ever. When it gets too loud, I just hunt in iron mask and it helps.

The SE gets great depth, I can already tell it goes deeper then my DFX (for me, please no hate mail). Today I was the only person in the group to not get a silver coin, but I still managed a few keepers (learning the machine still). Our hunting ground was a new site for us...A 1900 church in a small town of only 100, if that.

Here is my pull for the day.....

Handful of Clad
1935-S Buffalo
1957-D Wheat
1951 Wheat
1944-S Wheat x 2
1940-S Wheat
Flat Wheat (looks like a train track hit)
2 play dimes marked 1956 & 1958
Religious Pendant

2006_0204Image0002.jpg

Upvote 0

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar
Storm let us know how the Explorer works out for you. Sounds like you're off to a great start. When you say a slow swing, how slow roughly? (I know it's hard to describe) Do you still cover as much ground?

HH

OP
OP
Stormtrooper154

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
No, I don't cover as much ground. However, Because I am slowing the swing down and rechecking weaker signals, I am digging deeper targets. I dug the 35 Buffalo today and I know I would have past it by with my other machine. A full swing from (L-R-L) is taking me about 3-4 seconds, but I am sure that will speed up a bit once I learn the machine more. It just my opinion that the SE is a Slow/Deep detector.

Just to give you an idea...My hunting partner today was running the same machine as I was, and the same settings as I was.....He dug up over 15 wheaties, 1 Merc, 2 Rosies, 1 War Nickel Vs. My 5 Wheaties and 1 Buffalo. Did it have to do with the luck of where the coil was going over, Im sure a little, but he has been using the SE for a long time and knows the machine, so he gets more goodies. I am just happy to be finding the same goodies he is, I wasn't able to do that before....He already proved that to me.

It comes down to knowing your machine, no matter what it is! But I was just sick of him calling me over to listen to a deep target and my other machine didn't even break Threshold. So I bought what he was using, so I could locate the deeper targets also, and I have on my first day using it!

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
That's got to be confusing to switch machines like that. I used a Minelab Sovereign a few years ago in the water. The sound it made when I found silver pendant made my hair stand up! :D

I'm still getting used to my DFX. My wife told me just today "Your right arm is bigger than your left!". I checked it out in the mirror. It's true! The DFX is heavy, but I can swing it all day long now.

Keep us posted on the Explorer progress. I might buy one if I can get a deal on it.

Ridley

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you did great today with that new machine, Trooper. Always neat to find the play money...

Congrats on your finds!

Nana :)

OP
OP
Stormtrooper154

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
gold fish said:
How deep are you talkin, storm ??

The Buffalo was @ 8-9" loud and clear, I know that is not super deep for you folks with cleaner soil. But I couldn't have picked that up here with my other machine even with the deep scan coil on it. I cant wait to see what I start digging once I get the hang of this machine! ;D

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
WTG, Troop. That Explorer will open up a whole new world of MDing for you. Glad you're finding good stuff with it already. And believe me, 8-9" for a Buffalo nickel is real deep, with any machine.
Bob

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
That's a decent hunt for a first go with the Explorer. Especially going from the DFX. At least you got a Buffalo. It's been a while since I have gotten one of those.

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread