First Time Out With The Explorer SE

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Well, I have had the machine 2 weeks now and actually got to use it for a few hours today. It's a lot different then the DFX. You really have to slow your swing down with the SE. I am running it wide open with no disc. what so ever. When it gets too loud, I just hunt in iron mask and it helps.

The SE gets great depth, I can already tell it goes deeper then my DFX (for me, please no hate mail). Today I was the only person in the group to not get a silver coin, but I still managed a few keepers (learning the machine still). Our hunting ground was a new site for us...A 1900 church in a small town of only 100, if that.

Here is my pull for the day.....

Handful of Clad
1935-S Buffalo
1957-D Wheat
1951 Wheat
1944-S Wheat x 2
1940-S Wheat
Flat Wheat (looks like a train track hit)
2 play dimes marked 1956 & 1958
Religious Pendant

2006_0204Image0002.jpg

Upvote 0
Storm let us know how the Explorer works out for you. Sounds like you're off to a great start. When you say a slow swing, how slow roughly? (I know it's hard to describe) Do you still cover as much ground?

HH

No, I don't cover as much ground. However, Because I am slowing the swing down and rechecking weaker signals, I am digging deeper targets. I dug the 35 Buffalo today and I know I would have past it by with my other machine. A full swing from (L-R-L) is taking me about 3-4 seconds, but I am sure that will speed up a bit once I learn the machine more. It just my opinion that the SE is a Slow/Deep detector.

Just to give you an idea...My hunting partner today was running the same machine as I was, and the same settings as I was.....He dug up over 15 wheaties, 1 Merc, 2 Rosies, 1 War Nickel Vs. My 5 Wheaties and 1 Buffalo. Did it have to do with the luck of where the coil was going over, Im sure a little, but he has been using the SE for a long time and knows the machine, so he gets more goodies. I am just happy to be finding the same goodies he is, I wasn't able to do that before....He already proved that to me.

It comes down to knowing your machine, no matter what it is! But I was just sick of him calling me over to listen to a deep target and my other machine didn't even break Threshold. So I bought what he was using, so I could locate the deeper targets also, and I have on my first day using it!

That's got to be confusing to switch machines like that. I used a Minelab Sovereign a few years ago in the water. The sound it made when I found silver pendant made my hair stand up! :D

I'm still getting used to my DFX. My wife told me just today "Your right arm is bigger than your left!". I checked it out in the mirror. It's true! The DFX is heavy, but I can swing it all day long now.

Keep us posted on the Explorer progress. I might buy one if I can get a deal on it.

Ridley

Looks like you did great today with that new machine, Trooper. Always neat to find the play money...

Congrats on your finds!

Nana :)

gold fish said:
How deep are you talkin, storm ??

The Buffalo was @ 8-9" loud and clear, I know that is not super deep for you folks with cleaner soil. But I couldn't have picked that up here with my other machine even with the deep scan coil on it. I cant wait to see what I start digging once I get the hang of this machine! ;D

WTG, Troop. That Explorer will open up a whole new world of MDing for you. Glad you're finding good stuff with it already. And believe me, 8-9" for a Buffalo nickel is real deep, with any machine.
Bob

That's a decent hunt for a first go with the Explorer. Especially going from the DFX. At least you got a Buffalo. It's been a while since I have gotten one of those.

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back