kavehnj

Greenie
Nov 1, 2013
Brant County, SW Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got my Tesoro Compadre w 8" coil last week which happens to be my first MD as well. I have a few questions/comments.

1. Around my house and around my mom's house I can't seem to detect as the detector keeps beeping essentially non-stop. My house is from the late 1970's and my mom's is from the 1850's. If I go to the ball park, I get no such false signals. I live near the Grand River in SW Ontario, Canada. Any suggestions?

2. I noticed that at the end of each sweep where I reverse directions, I sometimes seem to get a false beep. If I exaggerate the suddenness of my change of direction I can force a false beep. Is this related to the way I have wrapped the cord? I believe I followed the instructions as intended. Any suggestions?

3. I need a pinpointer, lol. I can see why so many people say they won't detect without one.

4. I also noticed that the volume on my headphones slowly faded to the point that I had to unplug it and just use the speaker. Any suggestions?

I hope that it's just the user (me) being defective instead of the Compadre. I purchased the Compadre due to its outstanding reviews and am looking forward to getting these issues resolved.

I had previously ordered a BH Tracker IV but that is lost in transit and is a different story, sigh.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Tabcollector

Greenie
Jan 31, 2013
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre 8", Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just received a Compadre a few weeks ago and like you I can't hardly use it around the house because of all the EMI but my Cibola works just fine even when cranked up, I guess the Compadre is just more sensitive. I haven't had any problems while out detecting though, It actually seems to hit harder on most targets than the Cibola. As far as the beep at the end of your swing make sure your cable is not to loose and flopping around. I would try different headphones, if it still happens you will have to make a call to Tesoro. I like the machine a lot, and I am sure you will to. Good luck and keep us posted!:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
kavehnj

kavehnj

Greenie
Nov 1, 2013
Brant County, SW Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan B, I bought new from a Canadian retailer middlesexdetectorsales.

Tabcollector, I'm sure you're right, I just found it weird that I could use it in my living room or air test it outside but as soon as I put it near the ground it starts acting funny. But like I said it seemed fine at the park I went to.

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sensitivity on the Comp is pre-set at the factory using the small trimmer inside. If they set it a bit too hot, it can be difficult to use and will false alot, especially near EMI sources & in more mineralized ground. I actually adjusted my trimmer inside (I'M NOT RECOMMENDING YOU DO THIS) to get almost one inch better depth and I still had very little problems with chatter. If it is really a problem you just need to call Rusty and send her in for a (most likely) 3 minute procedure of taking off the faceplate and adjusting the internal sensitivity trimmer. Tesoro could save some money on repairs and shipping if they could just talk the (willing) customers through the procedure. It's very simple to do. Good luck, keep us posted!

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It could also be that it is not falsing and is just partially discriminating out trash. In this situation it will pop and crackle on these items but give a good solid tone on an item above the disc. setting. It could be giving you the impression of falsing when actually it is doing just what is supposed to do. That is why it may have seemed fine at the park you were at because you may have been detecting on clean ground with no trash. It also could be a source of EMF near your house making it noisy.

If Tesoro actually took a day or two to write updated instructions with pictures that aren't from the 60's they could save a lot of money by not having perfectly good working detectors sent back for warranty work. My kid could write better instructions in Word than the crap they send out with the detector. I'm not sure they fully understand how all of their detectors truly work. If they did I would think it would be in the instruction manual.

OP
OP
kavehnj

kavehnj

Greenie
Nov 1, 2013
Brant County, SW Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rainyday, thanks for the reply and making me laugh. I went with Tesoro because of the reviews and I have no doubt it is a good machine that will serve me well but I have to admit when I took it out of the box I was surprised by the instructions/owners manual or lack thereof. I will give my moms property another shot this weekend and report back.
BTW, I'm a Lions fan. I hope we can still be civil with each other, it's the Bears fans that I struggle with, lol.

OP
OP
kavehnj

kavehnj

Greenie
Nov 1, 2013
Brant County, SW Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
atomic, thanks, I will keep that in mind if I continue to struggle with it. I'd like to think I'm somewhat mechanically/electronically inclined so if it is actually simple I may attempt it to see if it does change things. For now, being so new to this, I'm just gonna keep plugging away and try to learn more about the nuances of the machine and the environments I'm in and improving on my technique.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every md has a learning curve.Once you get past that iam sure you will start to find good things.I have a ace 250 and teknetics deltta 4000 and my compadre.Out of the 3 i love the compadre the most.Easy to use and you won't be disappointed with it.Good luck.HH.

Talondale

Sep 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a new Compadre owner myself, I have a couple of observations related to your post. I have found I get a lot of noisy, scratchy, crackling sounds when over a large buried pipe (culvert), buried electrical wires, or lots of trash and when using my Garret Propointer if the DISC is set below zinc. The only time I've had EMI issues is when within a couple hundred yards of major power lines. The difference then is that it was almost a rhythm at fairly constant intervals but a true signal would still be repeatable. The other time I got false signals is when my coil taps something - ground, corn stalk, grass, etc. Hitting something with the coil would result in a beep. The thing to remember is a good target has a clear solid signal that can be repeated from N-S, E-W sweeps. As far as the sound, I would suspect the headphones because if anything I found the Compadre too loud in headphones without a volume control. Have enjoyed it so far and it is killer in totlots and near metal fences and bleachers.

Last edited:

lawbambam

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2013
Barrie, ON
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Tesoro Sand Shark, Tesoro Stingray 2 with cable adapter, Minelab Profind 25, Vibraprobe 580, 10x12 widescan coil, Cleansweep coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like rainyday101 was saying about discrimination, being so close to the house it could be roofing nails or any building debris. Try turning the discrimination down to see if the signal gets stronger and if so dig it up to find out what it is. Hopefully it works out for you. HH Lawrence

OP
OP
kavehnj

kavehnj

Greenie
Nov 1, 2013
Brant County, SW Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for your responses. It's pretty cold and snowy here now so I may not be able to get out for a while to work on my technique and learn a little more about my machine. The only thing I'm concerned about from a defective standpoint is the headphone volume because I use these headphones regularly at work with no issue.

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turn off the WIFI, then test and stay away from the neighbors wireless also, I was have fits trying to use it around the house until I shut off the wifi.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread