SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great view Blak bart! Since all I can do here is look at fishing pictures, I decided to refinish an old bamboo flyrod a buddy gave me. It was made by the Shakespeare Company and in looking at the history of this flyrod, the last time they made this particular model was in 1952. Back then it sold for $26.75!

P4230027.JPG

Here's the model #

P4230029.JPG

I've already removed all the old guides and re-varnished the bamboo.

P4230022.JPG

I have a book on refinished bamboo flyrods and the Author included lots of information on each of the different models that were made and included the original thread color used to attach the guides. This particular model used an olive green thread.

P4230026.JPG

I don't re-use the original guides because they are almost always corroded but was able to find some stainless steel guides with a hard Bronze colored finish.

Once all the guides are attached, I put the entire rod into a rod turning station that turns the rod at a slow rpm so I can brush on the spar varnish on the threads.

Will post some pics of the finished rod later...

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Great view Blak bart! Since all I can do here is look at fishing pictures, I decided to refinish an old bamboo flyrod a buddy gave me. It was made by the Shakespeare Company and in looking at the history of this flyrod, the last time they made this particular model was in 1952. Back then it sold for $26.75!

View attachment 1826791

Here's the model #

View attachment 1826792

View attachment 1826798

I have a book on refinished bamboo flyrods and the Author included lots of information on each of the different models that were made and included the original thread color used to attach the guides. This particular model used an olive green thread.

View attachment 1826801

I don't re-use the original guides because they are almost always corroded but was able to find some stainless steel guides with a hard Bronze colored finish.

Once all the guides are attached, I put the entire rod into a rod turning station that turns the rod at a slow rpm so I can brush on the spar varnish on the threads.

Great work!
I still have a split bamboo Wards Thoroughbred (?) that was a Grandfathers around here somewhere that needs to be restored.
Not my cup of tea. I've wrapped a few eyes ,and seldom with matching colored thread after the original rod. (I ran a large spool of yellow for years for my repairs. Too cheap to buy a variety.)
There's another split bamboo rod around with some eyes that need cleaning if they are salvageable ,if recalled correctly.
Quite the art selecting ,cutting, matching, and fitting that bamboo...

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1826791

Here's the model #

View attachment 1826792

View attachment 1826798

View attachment 1826801

Your a master at the craft SD.....in all my years as a fisherman I've never once built or repaired my rods.....except for rod tips. I remember one you posted a long time ago.....I think it was your father's or grand father's?? I just remember it was beautiful. Once in awhile I'll have someone who wants it all !! I've had the honor of going to the rod shop and custom designing a complete set of rods and reels. When I say complete set.....I mean any where from 20 - 50 at a time !! All the way from 130 pound class to 2 pound class !! Electric kite reels with custom mini rods to to graphite bonefish combos with titanium guides. And that's all before we even try to start fly fishing in blue water for big game !! It was an unbelievable experience each time I've done it. I'm not sure how much I spent this last time but it was more than the time before and that was 26000 $ of off the shelf combos. This last one I did was custom from blanks, butts,and guides to the all matching blue and silver thread wraps. An amazing build out of jewelry quality custom rods and reels.....from blue marlin big game bent butt rods, high tech computerized sword fish reels, kite fishing and deep dropping combos, and even custom hollow sabiki bait fishing rods. It was one of the funnest coolest fishing jobs I ever did !! Hey bart come build me your dream set of rods and reels that you would want !! I spent 35-40 thousand with the rod shop on this build and I got paid to do it !! It took over a week of meeting with the rod builder to get the build sheet done and place the full order.....so many things to consider and choices to make !! It took over a month for the rod shop to finish the order and was one of the most amazing experiences of my fishing career....i never got to use any of it.....i only worked with this guy on this one thing....he bought me lunch and paid me everytime we met and then he disappeared. About a year later he called and asked if I could have the rod shop build him a set of matching gaffs !! Bet there catching fish somewhere. !!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your a master at the craft SD.....in all my years as a fisherman I've never once built or repaired my rods.....except for rod tips. I remember one you posted a long time ago.....I think it was your father's or grand father's?? I just remember it was beautiful. Once in awhile I'll have someone who wants it all !! I've had the honor of going to the rod shop and custom designing a complete set of rods and reels. When I say complete set.....I mean any where from 20 - 50 at a time !! All the way from 130 pound class to 2 pound class !! Electric kite reels with custom mini rods to to graphite bonefish combos with titanium guides. And that's all before we even try to start fly fishing in blue water for big game !! It was an unbelievable experience each time I've done it. I'm not sure how much I spent this last time but it was more than the time before and that was 26000 $ of off the shelf combos. This last one I did was custom from blanks, butts,and guides to the all matching blue and silver thread wraps. An amazing build out of jewelry quality custom rods and reels.....from blue marlin big game bent butt rods, high tech computerized sword fish reels, kite fishing and deep dropping combos, and even custom hollow sabiki bait fishing rods. It was one of the funnest coolest fishing jobs I ever did !! Hey bart come build me your dream set of rods and reels that you would want !! I spent 35-40 thousand with the rod shop on this build and I got paid to do it !! It took over a week of meeting with the rod builder to get the build sheet done and place the full order.....so many things to consider and choices to make !! It took over a month for the rod shop to finish the order and was one of the most amazing experiences of my fishing career....i never got to use any of it.....i only worked with this guy on this one thing....he bought me lunch and paid me everytime we met and then he disappeared. About a year later he called and asked if I could have the rod shop build him a set of matching gaffs !! Bet there catching fish somewhere. !!

Great story Blak bart! The custom rod builders (like the one you mentioned) are true artists! They are doing incredible "thread art" on their rods, the sky is the limit!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0637.jpg another beautiful mutton snapper....today was picture perfect out there.....caught a mahi mahi too.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice rod restore SD!

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Bart, what's it like/how's it feel to not have all the tourist boating down there?

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been great but there all back now. The boat ramps in miami and homestead are open now and everyone is driving down by boat to fish. Monday there were a lot of boats out there. I'm going right now....hope we get some fish....see ya later !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20200508_215719.jpg

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0659.jpg

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
It kills me that you fish in flip flops. In 5 minutes I would have a broken ankle, hook in my big toe, and a flip flop blow out. :laughing9:

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's either flip flops or rubber boots....rubber boots in 90+ degrees can be uncomfortably hot and really stinky at the end of the day !! Imagine all that blood draining down my leg into my boot !! My number one priority is to clear the hooks when the fish is being fought so we dont get a human hook up !! Check out the snapper pic from the other day....bare foot fishing....the teak deck feels so nice on your bare feet !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today is a treasure hunting, shell diving, bottle hunting and spear fishing day. WOOOO HOOOO getting in the water to beat the heat !! Might tuna fish in the afternoon !! I'm outa here the sun is high enough to free dive now. See ya later.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh hell ya....today was great and I swam right into a shipwreck scatter field !! Not only that I shot 3 hogfish with my protege scotty. While I was free diving some very old bronze ship fittings....he was spearing hog fish !! Woooo hooo another new shipwreck !! 1st freediving of the season and were on fire !! 20200509_214527.jpg
Lota fun today !! Theres a great unidentified shipwreck here....rigging eyes, spar fittings, ships spikes by the thousands, chain plates and mast hoops also !!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
First carp after 22 trips,second fantail I've caught.

DSCN8544.JPG

The sun lit this up nice this morning.

K1024_DSCN8546.JPG

GOD Bless

Chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions