fisher 1266x - still a relic hunting legend?

MARCVS

Sep 27, 2008
Europe
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White`s Eagle Spectrum II,White`s DFX,Minelab X-Terra 705,Minelab GPX 4500,White`s MX Sport,Minelab E-Trac,Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1265X guy here .I'll NEVER part with the mule . Loves iron , relic killer :P and deep coins :laughing7: . Deepest coin target were two flying eagle pennys , stacked on each other, at 12-14 inches . Today , the old machine still works well , plus using it for 22 years also helps. :wink: CMD

rsting

Feb 9, 2010
granby, mo.
Detector(s) used
fisher 1266x
Hi Everyone, I couldn't find where to post an intro, so let me just say that I'm getting back into detecting after about a 12 year break. I was wondering if my old 1266x was so outdated by now that I needed to check into the new ones, but from the sound of this post I don't need to worry about it at all. It always worked well for me in the past, and I'm looking forward to giving it some good workouts again.
I'll keep looking around, and figure out where to put my intro, but just wanted to say THANKS :icon_thumright: for this post. You've already answered one of my big questions, and gave me lot's of info on how to use my old friend even better.
Russ

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rsting said:
Hi Everyone, I couldn't find where to post an intro, so let me just say that I'm getting back into detecting after about a 12 year break. I was wondering if my old 1266x was so outdated by now that I needed to check into the new ones, but from the sound of this post I don't need to worry about it at all. It always worked well for me in the past, and I'm looking forward to giving it some good workouts again.
I'll keep looking around, and figure out where to put my intro, but just wanted to say THANKS :icon_thumright: for this post. You've already answered one of my big questions, and gave me lot's of info on how to use my old friend even better.
Russ

Russ,

Welcome To TreasureNet! :icon_thumleft: And welcome to this thread. It's never too late to get back into this fine hobby of ours. And your enjoyment level will be much higher now anyhow if you use the machine you used back then. The 1265 and '66 are still in-line with the new machines. I think that there is some information that an "old Fisher" user can get from their machine that the user of any other brand/model of machine cannot. Anyhow, enough said. There's already mountains of info up above.

So I'll simply say--welcome to the Best information one can find on the web about the 1265 and '66. Enjoy your stay here. There is a lot to look at and read on the forum.

Regards,

Buckleboy

I just wanted to add to this thread something that non-1266X users may not believe but is true in at least my case. This machine actually has a longer learning curve than most would think for a basic VLF turn on and go. It took me at least 10 years of heavy use to realize that I was still learning tricks and tones! I never thought that the 1266X would be something that would teach me so much about what's in the ground. The very fact that most machines are quiet until a non ferrous object causes a beep, make me wonder if I could ever go without all that chatter from the 1266X. It truly tells you everything that is going on in the ground by all the sounds it makes. It is the audio version of an I.D. machine except more accurate. As I advanced, the more I started dabbling in reverse discrimination which is now the most valuable tool in my relic hunting ventures.
There is something that I typed out for this thread 3 times before but deleted every time because I did not want to let this secret out to my competition but maybe this time I will click POST......

There is no other machine in this world that can compare to the 1266X at finding Canadian clad. When set on disc.5 and 7, a nickle all the way to a $2 coin, give a solid short iron like blip that does not disc. out. It is a killer on nickle based dimes and never misses them. A lot of popular brands do not even pick up Canadian clad and are designed more for American coinage. I clad hunt once in awhile just because it is like stealing candy from a baby with the 1266X! It is so easy to find $50 to $100 in change in one day with that machine. The signal is so different than copper, that I can leave all the new pennies behind and still pop out silver rings. I hunted with guys using Whites I.D. machines and a $2 coin reads like a penny. On the 1266 you know when you have a $2 and the signal is nowhere close to a penny signal. When it comes to Canadian clad, NO machine could out perform that old fisher and that I will take anyone up on that challenge any time!

Here's another thing. This machine is dynamite at Beach hunting. Especially in fresh water up to as far as you can go with it extended out. Push the sensitivity in to max set Disc.1 at about 2 and Disc.2 at just under 5 and you will never miss anything! Coins sound huge and loud and I find tiny little diamond studs with ease. You will never miss a fine gold chain. In wet set, I have dug rings and coins at 2 feet down and that is the honest truth. I have many witnesses for the previous statement!
Some beaches I've searched have been hammered hard by many others but I never feel disappointed because I find all the deep stuff and always get tiny gold and silver that other machines wouldn't pick up. I have written Fisher a letter asking them to make a waterproof version of the 1266X because it does so well at fresh water beaches. Two days on a West coast salt water beach after a storm, I dug up $320 in change! A record that is tough to beat. My best 6 hour clad hunt was $143.65 and a few rings. I'm telling you this machine is versatile and tough to beat in many different types of hunting.
In hunted out parks, the 1266X gives many iffy signals that have been goodies time and time again.It has showed me that it can see through trash well before all the machines came out using that advertising slogan.
I most certainly could go on about this machine some more.
I may delete this post because I don't want to go against another 1266X out in the field! Any other machine would be no problem but not the old Fisher! Especially if the user has many years experience.
After using Whites for my first 10 years, I remember the first day using my new 1266X. I was so overwhelmed by all the signals everywhere! I was used to a quiet machine beeping every so often. I actually thought something was wrong with my new machine because it was so talkative.
Thanks to the 1266X for making me a confident hunter.
THE BEST MACHINE EVER MADE!!!!! :notworthy:
Dave.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddyhandz said:
I just wanted to add to this thread something that non-1266X users may not believe but is true in at least my case. This machine actually has a longer learning curve than most would think for a basic VLF turn on and go. It took me at least 10 years of heavy use to realize that I was still learning tricks and tones! I never thought that the 1266X would be something that would teach me so much about what's in the ground. The very fact that most machines are quiet until a non ferrous object causes a beep, make me wonder if I could ever go without all that chatter from the 1266X. It truly tells you everything that is going on in the ground by all the sounds it makes. It is the audio version of an I.D. machine except more accurate. As I advanced, the more I started dabbling in reverse discrimination which is now the most valuable tool in my relic hunting ventures.
There is something that I typed out for this thread 3 times before but deleted every time because I did not want to let this secret out to my competition but maybe this time I will click POST......

There is no other machine in this world that can compare to the 1266X at finding Canadian clad. When set on disc.5 and 7, a nickle all the way to a $2 coin, give a solid short iron like blip that does not disc. out. It is a killer on nickle based dimes and never misses them. A lot of popular brands do not even pick up Canadian clad and are designed more for American coinage. I clad hunt once in awhile just because it is like stealing candy from a baby with the 1266X! It is so easy to find $50 to $100 in change in one day with that machine. The signal is so different than copper, that I can leave all the new pennies behind and still pop out silver rings. I hunted with guys using Whites I.D. machines and a $2 coin reads like a penny. On the 1266 you know when you have a $2 and the signal is nowhere close to a penny signal. When it comes to Canadian clad, NO machine could out perform that old fisher and that I will take anyone up on that challenge any time!

Here's another thing. This machine is dynamite at Beach hunting. Especially in fresh water up to as far as you can go with it extended out. Push the sensitivity in to max set Disc.1 at about 2 and Disc.2 at just under 5 and you will never miss anything! Coins sound huge and loud and I find tiny little diamond studs with ease. You will never miss a fine gold chain. In wet set, I have dug rings and coins at 2 feet down and that is the honest truth. I have many witnesses for the previous statement!
Some beaches I've searched have been hammered hard by many others but I never feel disappointed because I find all the deep stuff and always get tiny gold and silver that other machines wouldn't pick up. I have written Fisher a letter asking them to make a waterproof version of the 1266X because it does so well at fresh water beaches. Two days on a West coast salt water beach after a storm, I dug up $320 in change! A record that is tough to beat. My best 6 hour clad hunt was $143.65 and a few rings. I'm telling you this machine is versatile and tough to beat in many different types of hunting.
In hunted out parks, the 1266X gives many iffy signals that have been goodies time and time again.It has showed me that it can see through trash well before all the machines came out using that advertising slogan.
I most certainly could go on about this machine some more.
I may delete this post because I don't want to go against another 1266X out in the field! Any other machine would be no problem but not the old Fisher! Especially if the user has many years experience.
After using Whites for my first 10 years, I remember the first day using my new 1266X. I was so overwhelmed by all the signals everywhere! I was used to a quiet machine beeping every so often. I actually thought something was wrong with my new machine because it was so talkative.
Thanks to the 1266X for making me a confident hunter.
THE BEST MACHINE EVER MADE!!!!! :notworthy:
Dave.

Dave,

I am quoting you so that you can't delete this. :) You hit the nail on the head. I have also used mine for beach hunting--and for some reason this machine will go through sand to an incredible depth. Yes, the learning curve for the 1266 is IMO the steepest for any turn-on-and-go VLF machine. It's quite incredible. It likewise took me about a decade to really master the machine--especially being able to tell what I was going to dig, how deep it was, and how big.

Cheers,

Buckles

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
After reading this thread the first time I did a little looking and found a 1266 but at the time couldn't afford it. Now you've got me thinking again. I think this is my next machine. Maybe there's one out there someone bought years ago and never got around to using it. Maybe that's too much to ask but I bet there's quite a few out there that never got used. I think I'll start looking again. Sounds like they work very similar to my vaquero and much like the tejon, only better. If that is possible. :D

My question is, are there optional coils available. Or, do you need one. :dontknow:

I've heard a lot of good things about this metal detector. :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RPG said:
After reading this thread the first time I did a little looking and found a 1266 but at the time couldn't afford it. Now you've got me thinking again. I think this is my next machine. Maybe there's one out there someone bought years ago and never got around to using it. Maybe that's too much to ask but I bet there's quite a few out there that never got used. I think I'll start looking again. Sounds like they work very similar to my vaquero and much like the tejon, only better. If that is possible. :D

My question is, are there optional coils available. Or, do you need one. :dontknow:

I've heard a lot of good things about this metal detector. :thumbsup:

There are optional coils available. I used a big coil from an old 1265 on mine--just had to take a circular file to the inside of the attachment point where the coil bolted to the shaft. Pinpoint was a bit odd with that coil, and it made the machine heavy, but it added another inch or two of depth.

The regular stock coil is wonderful--and the spider coil was one of the first of its kind (hollow so you could see where it pinpointed to).

I'm sure there are some good used ones out there floating around, but they don't come up for sale too often because those who have them, keep them. I sold my old machine to SaginawIan (the guy who started this post). I think he's had it refurbished now, and I sold my big coil and extra pole assembly with it. I paid $400 for my current 1266-X, and it was near new. That was last year. So they do hold their value very well.

PM me if you'd like more details. (I'm not selling mine, but I may know of one that might be for sale.)

-Buckles

Tom Bigbee

Feb 17, 2009
Miss/ Ala
Detector(s) used
1266X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been browsing Tnet for a few months and finally found what I was looking for. It is so great to hear from everyone about their experiences with the 1266X, especially Buckleboy and Fisherman. I bought one new from Kellyco right before they were discontinued and haven't had much success with it. I now have more confidence in it and I see that I just need to use it more and listen closer to the sounds. I will still use the Silver Sabre in very trashy areas. It is a great detector and gives the most beautiful round coin sound you could hope to hear and I was expecting the same from the 1266 but I now realize the importance of playing with the disc. knobs. Thanks to everyone!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tombigbee bound said:
I have been browsing Tnet for a few months and finally found what I was looking for. It is so great to hear from everyone about their experiences with the 1266X, especially Buckleboy and Fisherman. I bought one new from Kellyco right before they were discontinued and haven't had much success with it. I now have more confidence in it and I see that I just need to use it more and listen closer to the sounds. I will still use the Silver Sabre in very trashy areas. It is a great detector and gives the most beautiful round coin sound you could hope to hear and I was expecting the same from the 1266 but I now realize the importance of playing with the disc. knobs. Thanks to everyone!

Best of luck to you, tom. The 1266/Tesoro combo is a great pair. Keep at it--and if you have any questions, shoot one of us a PM or post your question here to this thread.

Regards,

Buckles

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
The 1266 is an awesome machine. Even after 9 years it still surpises me sometimes at the depth. I have found so much with it in this iron laiden town that I wouldn't own anything else. I have used it almost as much in the river as I have on land. I use it all winter long in the river unless it's froze over and the low temperature has never bothered it. I can't say enough good things about it that you guys haven't already said. :thumbsup: Great thread.

Wolverine.

archmjr

Jan 24, 2005
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1270X/Whites 6000 & 5900 Di Pro SL/CZ-6a
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I prefer that machine in the woods or when I hunt farm fields. Even in bad ground in places like N. Va, people are out there I hunted with using White's machines. It was hard to do but I would just back down the sensitivity and hunt well right along side them. I was shocked when I found out the 1266X was not longer being made...might have wept if my wasn't still working. I bought the 1270X just as a back-up but really haven't taken the time yet to use it enough to see the difference.

May it work forever and ever.

Archmjr

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My late detecting buddy was a Fisher man through and through. I can attest his last machine, a 1266X, was a beast. I had nothing at the time that could match his depth. I remember when he got it he gave me a demonstration. He got a signal so I decided to dig it. I dug and I dug. He would check the hole, the machine would beep. It was a wheat cent at 9 inches. I could not believe that a machine could make a find like that but I saw it with my own two eyes.

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Re: fisher 1266x - still a relic hunting legend? Fisher 1260

I still use my Fisher 1260( 1980 Model ) with ( frequency shifter ) in all the Treasure Hunts that I enter. This old detector has fast target response. I'll be at The FDMAC Hunt in Niagara Falls October 16-17,2010.All Targets will be Silver Coins. There will be Displays and siminars also-goldnugget-Charlotte,N.C. FMDAC.org

FinderFinn

Dec 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BUMP! Last weekend I bought my very first metal detector off fleabay UK. It will take a week for it to arrive and after striking the deal for it I already got worried if I had made the right decision. I could have bought a new unit from garrett or tesoro. I also was very close at buying the Fisher Gold Bug Pro, but my offer was accepted and I ended up with the 1266x. I would have not bid on it in the first place had I not read all the internet postings and reviews about it. Now after reading this thread I am sure I made the right decision and that I won't regret it. Please continue your stories of Fisher 1266x if you guys are still using them?

FinderFinn

Last edited:

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My late detecting buddy was a Fisher man through and through. I can attest his last machine, a 1266X, was a beast. I had nothing at the time that could match his depth. I remember when he got it he gave me a demonstration. He got a signal so I decided to dig it. I dug and I dug. He would check the hole, the machine would beep. It was a wheat cent at 9 inches. I could not believe that a machine could make a find like that but I saw it with my own two eyes.
............................................................................I know that this is an Old Post but felt that all of the info was still relevent especially to me since I am still learning my 1266X....One of my Mentors was a Fisher 1266X man thru and thru.....I saw him dig some incredible targets but for some reason I did not get one for at least 15 years....I got one a few years ago but it had some problems ...so I finally got another one late last year and this detector is really a BEAST. I used an older vintage detector to clear out all of the shallow loud signals from an old school yard until I could get no signals. Went back after a rainstorm with my 1266X and the ground came alive...signals were everywhere.....this is a site that I have hunted for years....found a lot of deep pull tabs and other deep targets ...the ground was so wet that all of my holes were filling with water....I got this particular signal and digging a 6 inch plus hole ...it was still in the hole.....on digging deeper something flies out of the hole and lands in a shallow mud puddle...."no way" I said it was shining gold ...it is a 10K Gold ring..the type worn by schoolboys back in the 1960's....it has been estimated on being lost for at least 50 years.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, I just found this thread today and read everything. After 31 years using one I still learn things.
I bought a 1265X new in, I think 1984. I have been a relic hunter most of the time so I basically dig everything in the woods.
The only differences in the 1265X and the 1266X is the reversal of the push/pull knob. (1266 is best) The other difference that I have heard of is the 1266X will get you an extra inch in depth.
I still have my 31 year old 1265X and I also have a 13 year old GBII.
Marvin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread