FISHER F 70 ..F75 ..INFO. WANTED

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't know about the F70 but with my F75 I have hit dimes at 8" and quarters at 9". I live near a few flood plains where carnivals and field days are held and coins get silted in deep after just a few years. Set the sensitivity sensibly so you can hear deeper signals and it does very well.

I've been running the 6.5" elliptical coil and I have no problem finding 7" ad 8" deep coins with that "sniper" coil.

I bought mine the first year they came out and still love it.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
There is a great deal that I don,t understand about the f75 as it is a complex machine.... but it is only complex if you mkae it that way.

Hope that makes sense.

For instance... you read that you need to use discrim mode to sort threw junk to find the good targets.... but i have found that if you use AM --99 sense and ground balance often---i can pick the good targets from the bad also.

Discrim for me only seems to find more nails and rusty iron that will show high numbers.. but is junk.

I have found lots of nice finds with the machine although i only been detecting 1 year..i have put in a lot of hours also.

I want to learn more about the machine and am always looking for information.

You want some information?
Here, remember most F75 info will transfer over to the F70, also, and the T2.

Hope your head doesn't explode...mine is close to doing that after trying to absorb all this.

COMPILATION #1

COMPILATION #2

Rcpt Ack of F75 Ltd prototype

When ADJUSTABLE Iron Discrimination is Paramount, by: Thomas Dankowski

Your posts about disc and sensitivity interelated F75se

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've actually never heard people complain about getting LESS than six inches of depth with the F70, and as others have said, those who claim to get only six inches might have really tough ground.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I've actually never heard people complain about getting LESS than six inches of depth with the F70, and as others have said, those who claim to get only six inches might have really tough ground.

Its possible...in my old hunting ground in Birmingham Ala the ground is so mineralized and so filled with iron that in most areas even 6" is just a dream.
Nothing got down even that far in the worst of that stuff, no White's, No Minelabs, nothing I owned including a Vaquero with manual GB and a big DD coil, either.
Only a PI unit could make any headway in that devil dirt.

Everywhere with better soil, which is everywhere as far as I am concerned, should be better and enable all detectors to have decent depth.

I go back and visit there sometime.
Maybe I will take the F70 and see what it can do, but I am not expecting much different behavior than what I have already seen.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its possible...in my old hunting ground in Birmingham Ala the ground is so mineralized and so filled with iron that in most areas even 6" is just a dream.
Nothing got down even that far in the worst of that stuff, no White's, No Minelabs, nothing I owned including a Vaquero with manual GB and a big DD coil, either.
Only a PI unit could make any headway in that devil dirt.

Everywhere with better soil, which is everywhere as far as I am concerned, should be better and enable all detectors to have decent depth.

I go back and visit there sometime.
Maybe I will take the F70 and see what it can do, but I am not expecting much different behavior than what I have already seen.

Geez, I wouldn't want to have that soil in my backyard.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Geez, I wouldn't want to have that soil in my backyard.

A very frustrating experience, indeed.
Silver and old coins can be found still, but it ain't easy.
A friend with an E Track does well, but he doesn't get any more depth than my Compadre or F2 did.
He does it by looking for out of the way places and areas where the rain has washed out lot of the bad soil on inclines and sometimes older coins can be found.
A few years ago one of the older parks did some remodeling and bulldozers came in an took away almost a foot of grass and soil and then the club guys came it and found a bunch that nobody could reach before that soil was removed.
The easy silver and older coins were found in most public places long ago going back to the 60's or 70's by local hunters.
There was a ton but now that easy stuff is gone or at unreachable depths so modern hunters just have to deal with it.
Some knock on doors because some home lawns have better dirt and older coins can still be found.
Others like my friend think outside the box to find better sites.
Me, I gave up on finding older coins or I would have gone crazy with the work you have to put in to do it, not to mention that concrete hard clay packed red soil you have to dig in the summer months if you do find some.
I still came across a few here and there in my travels, even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time, but I just decided to change into mostly a jewelry hunter because that stuff can be anywhere and shallow enough to find.
Jewelry, a few relics and clad kept me happy and satisfied and eventually I moved to Kansas where the soil is totally opposite and close to the best, depth wise.
I am actually very lucky.
I had experience with some of the worst dirt and conditions possible and now I have experience in some of the best.
Don't think I don't thank my lucky stars for this great dirt every day and on every hunt.
Some that have only lived here and dug only in this dirt take it for granted but I never will.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
It is funny WOOF has not jumped in here since i think he helped design it...

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havent used my F75 ltd enough to give a really good evaluation on it. But i probably have around 25-30 hours in on it. I can tell u what i like and dont like so far. LIKES: Very well balanced and feels much lighter than it actually is...but not heavy anyway. Very powerful machine, this is where the "chattyness" comes in. If you are away from all EMI sources you can really turn the power of this machine loose, but most areas you need to drop back sensitivity some and running around 6 on the disc calms her right down. Running under 6 on disc is actually a built in second boost as mentioned by Nasa Tom. Battery life is truly impressive. Build quality is also something you hear a lot about. I think the machine is built just as well as any other i have handled. Boost process seems to add around 4 inches of depth on coin sized targets. JE mode seems to be more chatty and not as deep. Haven't messed with the Cache mode...A few more things i like over the ATP is the true all-metal mode, the backlight, standard headphone jack and the bad ground gauge. The only thing i dont like so far is that the rain has made me go home twice! This machine has already found things the ATP couldnt including several bullets and cannonball frags....As far as coin modes, etc. the F75 has nearly unlimited settings for notching and/or discing what u want and what you dont. It also saves all settings when turned off. Which is one reason that i chose it over the T2(and the backlight). This machine also has several tone options; single, 2 tones, 3 tones, 4 tones or where everything gives a diff. pitch. You can also choose to make nickels hit as high tone similar to the CZ-3d. I like it, and with time will probably grow to love it!

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've got the F75 Limited and have used for about 3 years. You are partly right . I do have a jewelry mode in discrimination The limited has discrimination and all metal modes. It has in disc, Cashe(CL) mode, Boost,DE which is default search,JE which is Jewelry and really sensitive and Bottle cap mode which I hardly use. People with the 70 and 75's will all probably tell you that these machines are very sensitive and will search really well with little gain. I live in the south where we have low mineralization and my normal ground balance is around 49. My average settings without power lines etc. Disc.15, sen. or gain 75 t0 80 depending on the place of course. I do run the gain to 99 at times. All metal mode is said to be deeper and I have found some good stuff in all metal but for old play grounds I stay in Disc. mode 80% of the time. Overall I believe the F70 is as good except for the BP mode which is Boost. that's really neat. The F70 is a F75 limited without the bells and whistles. Just as a side note, I do run some with my Discrim. at 0 and the sensitive at 99 when the soil will allow. I use the sniper coil 90% of the time and this is one good set up. I also have the ATP and really like it. And I like my White M6 which I believe is underrated. If I left anything you wanted to know out, just ask. I don't claim to know it all but I love my Limited. It weights only 3.5lbs also. Good luck.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
And the ones who claim to find coins at 10" sometimes hit the target in the sidewall and the coin falls to the ten inch mark. I know that happens.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
And the ones who claim to find coins at 10" sometimes hit the target in the sidewall and the coin falls to the ten inch mark. I know that happens.
I know that happens with all detectors but the owners will swear it was that deep.. But it was in the side wall falls down then they find it in the bottom of the hole … And then say wow look how deep this detector goes...

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepest items i have dug were a U.S. boxplate at 13 inches, a large general store token at 10 inches and a large ax head at around 16 inches....Never a coin over 7 inches and most around 5-6 inches(old coins). Some civil war relics tend to be up to 8 (in my area)or even a little more, but can vary greatly. The boxplate was a mystery because everything else in that area was 6 to 7 inches.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Deepest items i have dug were a U.S. boxplate at 13 inches, a large general store token at 10 inches and a large ax head at around 16 inches....Never a coin over 7 inches and most around 5-6 inches(old coins). Some civil war relics tend to be up to 8 (in my area)or even a little more, but can vary greatly. The boxplate was a mystery because everything else in that area was 6 to 7 inches.
Yes i find that most coins no matter what detector average around 8 inches….. But then the bigger the item the deeper ...

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In most of the areas I hunt the soil is sandy because it is near two river systems and near the bay of Green Bay. I have one area where late 60's and early 70's quarters are at 6-7 inches. In these spots the older ones gotta be deeper. My deepest find was a 40's wheatie at just over 7". Ironically my oldest find a 1894 quarter was at 3 inches, but this is because it was on an old gravel road bed under the soil. For the most part in regular soil I agree the old ones are at 5-8 inches, but in my area where it is sandy I don't think that is always true. My Silver Umax is at it's max depth at that 7" range and maybe I could still get a whisper at 8", but that is about it. This is why I want my next detector to be a powerful deep one and from what I have read the F70 seems to fit the bill on power for me and falls well within my price range. I like Tesoro and know it's single tone well, but the multi-tone sure would help, and I think I would like the Delta tone of the F70. Right now I am on the fence, but have until spring to decide.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure the F70 is great, but i would go with the "luxury package" of the F75 ltd....Bart gave me a GREAT deal on mine and i like it very much. The boost process will give you all the depth you'll ever need! Also Rainy, you seem to like Tesoro machines.....Have you thought about the Outlaw? It is a good machine also and very versatile with the 3 coils...

Last edited:

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From another Tesoro owner's perspective: I bought an F70 back in 2009. I REALLY hated the audio. It's nothing like the sweet tone of a Tesoro. It's very digital, for lack of a better term. I know everyone has their preferences, but I would suggest to get one in your hands and listen to it before buying one. If I had done that I wouldn't have bought it.

Just my 2¢ worth

Dan

deadeye 22250

Jan 23, 2014
north central Oh
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, DFX, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If the coin is imbedded in the dirt, at the bottom of the hole, how can someone claim it fell from the side?

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the coin is imbedded in the dirt, at the bottom of the hole, how can someone claim it fell from the side?

Yes, i agree.....and if a user has very much experience, pinpointing shouldn't be off that far. The only time my pinpoint is off that much is on a rusty nail. Almost never off on a coin or other "good target".

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From another Tesoro owner's perspective: I bought an F70 back in 2009. I REALLY hated the audio. It's nothing like the sweet tone of a Tesoro. It's very digital, for lack of a better term. I know everyone has their preferences, but I would suggest to get one in your hands and listen to it before buying one. If I had done that I wouldn't have bought it.

Just my 2¢ worth

Dan

I do like my F75 and i love my ATPro, but i havent used a Tesoro that i didn't like. I was a little disappointed in the Tejon in bad VA soil but i still liked it. The Vaquero is still on my list of machines that i would like to own. It is amazing the performance of these machines when u consider that they function on 1 9v battery and are so light weight yet very durable!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions