Flea market pricing is HARD!!! (Also, I had an estate score today!!!)

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I tell ya, figuring out how to price stuff is absolutely the hardest thing we do in the flea market business.

The indoor flea markets and antique malls where we have booths have strict rules stating that we have to mark each item with a firm price. They do not allow us to have percentage off sales, or progressive discounts based on quantity. The price tag that we place on the item is firm and set in stone. (We do not man our booths at these indoor markets. The customer pays for the item at a front register, just like you would do at a store.)

I picked up about 300 vintage beer cans today out of an estate, for free. All these cans date to the mid to late 70's. I don't think there is anything of real value A quick check on ebay also confirms that I don't have big dollar items.

These old pull tops (straight steel cans) aren't often found in our area, and are interesting to look at. Translation: A serious can collector probably wouldn't look twice at these, but the twenty-something set might think they are as cool as they come. The cans are a neat curiosity, and would look good if displayed in a man cave.

There is part of me that wants to mark each can at $1 each, and hope that they fly out the door. Another part of me wants to mark them $2 each, and trash what doesn't sell in a few months.

Not knowing what or how to price them is absolutely driving me bonkers.

300 cans x $1 = $300

300 cans x $1.25 = $375

300 cans x $1.50 = $450

300 cans x $2.00 = $600

Who wouldn't want an extra $300 in their pocket? At the same time, I am not a museum, and want the cans to sell...

It is driving me crazy...

Thoughts, anyone??

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
I tell ya, figuring out how to price stuff is absolutely the hardest thing we do in the flea market business.

The indoor flea markets and antique malls where we have booths have strict rules stating that we have to mark each item with a firm price. They do not allow us to have percentage off sales, or progressive discounts based on quantity. The price tag that we place on the item is firm and set in stone. (We do not man our booths at these indoor markets. The customer pays for the item at a front register, just like you would do at a store.)

I picked up about 300 vintage beer cans today out of an estate, for free. All these cans date to the mid to late 70's. I don't think there is anything of real value A quick check on ebay also confirms that I don't have big dollar items.

These old pull tops (straight steel cans) aren't often found in our area, and are interesting to look at. Translation: A serious can collector probably wouldn't look twice at these, but the twenty-something set might think they are as cool as they come. The cans are a neat curiosity, and would look good if displayed in a man cave.

There is part of me that wants to mark each can at $1 each, and hope that they fly out the door. Another part of me wants to mark them $2 each, and trash what doesn't sell in a few months.

Not knowing what or how to price them is absolutely driving me bonkers.

300 cans x $1 = $300

300 cans x $1.25 = $375

300 cans x $1.50 = $450

300 cans x $2.00 = $600

Who wouldn't want an extra $300 in their pocket? At the same time, I am not a museum, and want the cans to sell...

It is driving me crazy...

Thoughts, anyone??

They take too much room. Blow them out anyway you can. It will probably be tough even at 1.00. But hey, even if you make $50, good for you. Use the room for something with more profit.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Thanks for the replies.

I am still leaning towards marking these at $2 a piece, just to see what happens.

A few years ago, I bought a cooler that was full of empty Pepsi cans from 1976. They were absolutely worthless on ebay. Everyone I asked said "Throw them away, no one is going to buy them." I put $2 a piece on them, and every last one of them sold within a week.

I've had some luck with 'worthless' license plates too. I had a box of 1975 to 1989 license plates. These things were trashed. All were rusty, bent, peeling paint, etc. To me, those plates from the 70's and 80's are scrap metal, especially in that condition. But, the 15 to 30 year old set bought those for $2 each like they were going out of style.

Again, a real can collector wouldn't even look at these...but they are an interesting curiosity. Maybe I am dead wrong on this one...time will tell.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be interested in seeing how this turns out. I still have one big box of cans from the collection I had as a kid (taking up space in the basement). The wife is constantly after me to get rid of them. Several years back I culled the ones that I thought were less collectible, but I just can't trash the last box.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, around here they call those places "co-ops". It is something I have considered trying for at least a year now. Eventually I will take the plunge.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Well, for better or worse, the we priced the cans at $2 each.

The price is probably ambitious, especially for the plain cans that don't have much color.

We stood in the parking lot while marking them, and a guy pulled up and asked if we had any flat tops, which I didn't. He said that the cans sell fairly well at $1 each at this flea market, and "that we'll probably be marking them down, soon enough".

As he was talking, I thought to myself, "I should have listened to JerseyBen".

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, for better or worse, the we priced the cans at $2 each.

The price is probably ambitious, especially for the plain cans that don't have much color.

We stood in the parking lot while marking them, and a guy pulled up and asked if we had any flat tops, which I didn't. He said that the cans sell fairly well at $1 each at this flea market, and "that we'll probably be marking them down, soon enough".

As he was talking, I thought to myself, "I should have listened to JerseyBen".

I have no personal experience selling cans so please take my advice with a grain of salt. I certainly hope you get some bites at $2. Please keep us posted.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a small collection of about 50 beer cans from the 70's. Iron City Pittsburgh Steeler ones, Billy Beer, Tenant's Lager with the sexy women on them, Harley Beer, etc.. I ended up giving them away at my last yard sale. Good luck.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
With the last few replies, it isn't looking good for the home team that marked their cans @ $2 each...

All kidding aside, I do think that pricing for a flea market is the hardest thing we do. Some stuff is super easy, but stuff like the cans will drive you insane. It might be different if we treated the flea market as a dumping ground. We have 5 spots at this FM, and the sales we make here are the largest part of our income.

Cosmo

Aug 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clovis,how long have you been doing flea markets?

Cosmo

Aug 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would throw them all in a box and sell them in a box lot, to much work any other way. There might be a few of the better ones ,you might want to pluck out and try and sell separate for a few bucks each.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I would throw them all in a box and sell them in a box lot, to much work any other way. There might be a few of the better ones ,you might want to pluck out and try and sell separate for a few bucks each.

Too late now. The cans got marked $2 each today, and we spent a bit of time doing it. I'll let them sit for a few months and readdress the unsold cans, which might be all of them, at that point.

Cosmo

Aug 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will never forget my grandpa rushing out to buy a few cases of billy carter beer telling me how one day they will be worth a lot of money. Today you can't give them away lol

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
You should double check ebay prices. Full cases and full 6 packs are coming back around.

One full case just sold for $90.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread