flood waters be damned!...7-12-13 hunt

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found some things today...several parts and a few whole points, although most likely not finished since only one actually has a "point."
20130712_220603.jpg 20130712_220649.jpg
Also found a very small worked piece. I am usually very skeptical about identifying anything other than an obvious point, but I wondered if this little thing would qualify as a micro-drill? it just doesn't look like a fragment of a larger piece. Would love input.
20130712_220725.jpg 20130712_220751.jpg 20130712_220828.jpg 20130712_220908.jpg
Thanks!

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 points, a triangular scraper and a drill or punch. Not a bad haul for 1 trip. By the way a punch was used for leather on their clothes to make holes.

OP
OP
eastTNJoe

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 points, a triangular scraper and a drill or punch. Not a bad haul for 1 trip. By the way a punch was used for leather on their clothes to make holes.

Thanks Rock...yes it was fun today...punch perhaps?...maybe I am off on the label of micro-drill...I just looked that up in my Overstreet guide and this "thing" is bigger than those micro-drills shown...darn?!@ and I thought it was small! It definitely has been worked from multiple sides and is not a broken fragment...I have found enough parts and pieces to see that this is different. I continue to be amazed at the ingenuity and efficiency of Native American Artifacts.

Thanks for your input Rock.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might even be a Graver after looking at the tip.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Rock...yes it was fun today...punch perhaps?...maybe I am off on the label of micro-drill...I just looked that up in my Overstreet guide and this "thing" is bigger than those micro-drills shown...darn?!@ and I thought it was small! It definitely has been worked from multiple sides and is not a broken fragment...I have found enough parts and pieces to see that this is different. I continue to be amazed at the ingenuity and efficiency of Native American Artifacts.

Thanks for your input Rock.

I saw whole trees going down the river yesterday Joe, Crazy how flooded we are. I was in South Pittsburgh before it flooded. Nice haul for monster high water. Look up the maddison micro drill. I think I spelled that right. They are a tiny spiral flint drill mostly found 20 miles down stream from you. Pretty site specific. I do not have any but a friend collected them and had them published. Been busy hope to get out soon.

Joe that could possible be a little drill or porforator but would hesitate with out seeing it against another example in calling it a micro drill as our area knows them.:hello:

Last edited:
OP
OP
eastTNJoe

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw whole trees going down the river yesterday Joe, Crazy how flooded we are. I was in South Pittsburgh before it flooded. Nice haul for monster high water. Look up the maddison micro drill. I think I spelled that right. They are a tiny spiral flint drill mostly found 20 miles down stream from you. Pretty site specific. I do not have any but a friend collected them and had them published. Been busy hope to get out soon.

Joe that could possible be a little drill or porforator but would hesitate with out seeing it against another example in calling it a micro drill as our area knows them.:hello:

Thanks TNMountains...I agree after looking up the Madison Drills that this is too big and not exactly designed the same way...probably a perforator, but cool nonetheless. ...yes...whole trees floating down the river and a mighty strong current as they are spilling...below the dam it looked like pictures of the base of Niagara Falls...thanks as always for your expertise.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah the river here is still high. I dont go in it when it is that high due to not being able to see the trees and rocks in the river. The current is swift even when the water is low here.

OP
OP
eastTNJoe

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you are smart...crazy rainfall this summer...I went fly fishing tonight during a willow fly hatch and it was crazy how fast the water was ripping along the bank...when they spill it creates a pretty swift current...caught some nice crappie and brim and last night my dad caught a 4 lb smallie on the fly...makes me happy to be a Southern boy...sometimes the rock hunt takes a backseat to the fishing around here!....what is another day or so tacked on to a 1,000+!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread