66.4 KB · Views: 1,039
Upvote 8

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice.. What state are you hunting?
I'm curious as to what kind of material That piece You photographed by itself With the hinge fractures all over it Is made of.

OP
OP
bout2break

bout2break

Feb 3, 2013
Southeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mostly hunt around where we live inNorth West Georgia off Armuchee Creek. Still learning terms and diff types of arrowheads but far as i can tell it is made of mottled grey flint. Also found piece pic below same area/hunt. First mult-colored one i found - not sure if it completely finished arrowhead but thought colors in it were really cool. Really lucked up on spot - littered with tons pieces of worked on flint - my back is killing me from staying bent over picking up different ones - haha - worth it though.
Check out my profile photos - have an artifact "The Head" found nere Etowah river would like ur opinion on what you think it might be - if u get a chance - thank u

Attachments

• image-875144034.jpg
    image-875144034.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 546
OP
OP
bout2break

bout2break

Feb 3, 2013
Southeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel real blessed for sure. The area i was able to hunt just kinda fell into my lap with a spur of the moment go right then or not be allowed.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you got out. Its tough to actually get a ID on most of the points in the area due to the section we live in. I am close to where you are just maybe a little bit north. If you get a guide you will see it is broke up into different sections for the united states. Being where we are it could go in any direction. I found allot of Alabama artifacts in my area of Ga. Get your self a flipping stick that will help your back. You can use anything for one. I use a broom handle and also a wooden stake that is 4 ft long. You can get a broom handle from wally world for less that $4 with a plastic tip and it is lite in weight. Use it to move the pieces to see if they are whole or worth picking up. it really helps I didnt use one for a long time but since I use one now I feel the difference. I also use a flat head screw driver for the tough ones if they are stuck in the dirt. Just dont force them out or they might break. Get back out there before the crops are planted and save some more.

OP
OP
bout2break

bout2break

Feb 3, 2013
Southeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips/advice Rock. We live out off dirt road way off main road and on Armuchee creek - lot of farming land out this way - we keep good relationship with neighbors - bring produce from garden - never leave trash and such. Will keep at it for sure. Thanks again for tips.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah farm land every where here too. I dont dare walk on any unless I have permission to do it. The shotgun theory is in full effect here.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to make a quick comment on getting an I.D. on your projectile point finds.
I know rock means well..but he may be confused just a little.
There were no such thing as states when these artifacts were made... so to say he finds Alabama artifacts in Georgia is just wrong.
The commonly used name for things might change depending on what part of the country your in...and the same projectile point sometimes has more than one name depending on what the people in that area choose to call it.
That should in no way change what needs to be looked at to I.D. a completed projectile point.

b2b.. can you post that piece you spoke of on this thread please.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bout2break

bout2break

Feb 3, 2013
Southeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Rock was using state names as a current reference for past territories maybe. Im still trying learn techniques and such used in making arrowheads. I appreciate yalls advice and perspective.

Ok here is pic below of what we call "The Head" would be very interested in what u think of it. Long story behind it but short of it is that it was found off Etowah river NW Ga.

Attachments

• image-551037380.jpg
    image-551037380.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 2,640

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it may be made of steatite.."soapstone"
Do you have any other relevant information as to its context with other artifacts, proximity to other known sites, other artifacts found with it or close by..ect.?

OP
OP
bout2break

bout2break

Feb 3, 2013
Southeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took it by Chieftain's Museum here in Rome. He said the headdress around head dates it back to Mississippian period and flat nose is reflective of beliefs of Etowah indians - said they would put boards on baby's nose/face cause they thought flat nose was attractive. Now this came from guy who was running Chieftain's at time and that was years ago. He showed me pics in book on Etowah indian mounds and there was pottery with images very similiar to "The Head".
It is a heavy piece but not really rock if that makes sense. Some friends have said it's a death gorget or something to that. U cant really tell in picture but both ears have holes in them so some say it was used as amulet or neckless but... The back of it is flat so..
Will try and put more pics up later. Thanks for sharing your knowledge on subject - very informative.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting for sure.
Some Northern Florida Mississippian pottery shares some resemblance.

ForumRunner_20130714_204125.png

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It actually does look Caddo.
You may want to study the Gahagan site in northwest Louisiana.
There was a very large trade network at that time.

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to make a quick comment on getting an I.D. on your projectile point finds.
I know rock means well..but he may be confused just a little.
There were no such thing as states when these artifacts were made... so to say he finds Alabama artifacts in Georgia is just wrong.
The commonly used name for things might change depending on what part of the country your in...and the same projectile point sometimes has more than one name depending on what the people in that area choose to call it.
That should in no way change what needs to be looked at to I.D. a completed projectile point.

b2b.. can you post that piece you spoke of on this thread please.

Im not confused at all you just didnt understand what I was saying. This is the guide I have and in the area we are in the guide has 2 sections to use for our area. So when I have to try and ID something it takes a while to locate it. Thats usually the reason I post it to save me a few hours hoping somebody will know.

Attachments

• 100_3592.JPG
    100_3592.JPG
    312.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 100_3593.JPG
    100_3593.JPG
    354.9 KB · Views: 184

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Rock was using state names as a current reference for past territories maybe. Im still trying learn techniques and such used in making arrowheads. I appreciate yalls advice and perspective.

Ok here is pic below of what we call "The Head" would be very interested in what u think of it. Long story behind it but short of it is that it was found off Etowah river NW Ga.

Now thats a great find! Thanks for sharing it with us.

ChefopathX7

Aug 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
0813150824.jpg I live in Armuchee, I work at Berry. I have found several different items in and around Rome. This including some type of "head". Not sure if it is native American? Cherokee? I am interested in a hunting partner if any of you are open to that?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread