Florida Gold TV Series Casting Call

Re: Florida Hunters wanted for TV Series

TomTV said:
I'm especially interested in any jewelry store owners who deal
with a lot of detectorists. I'll be calling refineries today to
find out more about that process. Very keen also on the whole
cleaning, prepping and shipping off the goods process.

You have to admit it's kind of cool that some folks are doing
okay with this...

O.K. This is a big problem.

Tell ya what, I'm going to make a film exposing ALL the secrets of film making so that everyone can go out and make movies and put you out of business! :laughing7:

Great. I used to make money from buying and selling gold until all the commercials, big buyers setting up for months in every city, and every Money Mart and who knows what else is raking in all the gold from people.

Antiques and collectibles market has gone downhill thanks to television.

Great. Show all the pawn shops, jewelry stores and all the gold they buy from treasure hunters and much money they got for it. Make sure everyone now pays taxes for this as some gubberment types will get all hot to trot after watching. Yeah, go and show where we sell our gold.

This just gets worse and worse.

Do me a favour. Don't plan any of this for Canada!

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You want drama? You want it to be about people? You want some of the best hunters in the country? You need to film a sequence in New Jersey! Some there make Jersey Shore look like a walk in the park.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey, if I were in the TV entertainment business I'd be looking to capitalize in this same venue. Can't blame them for trying to progress and grow their enterprise. Sooner or later it was bound to come just like it comes to everything else that holds a fair amount of human interest, especially if it promotes the possibility of financial gain. Personally, I don't see it having a huge impact on things. The advancing growth in the hobby and the increase in hunting pressure is already here, just going to have to keep adapting to it and hope for the best because it's not going to be slowed down or stopped. I wish it could be like it use to be, but as the population continues to grow so will the continued increase in human activity and human pressures. Just going to have continue to deal with it as best as possible. :dontknow:

Zofchak

Mar 11, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Excaliburs, Sovereign GT and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Shows like this will absolutely destroy this hobby just like it did the storage unit auctions! :BangHead: The exposure these shows will bring to detecting will be unlike anything you guys are expecting or prepared for. Get ready to see 3-4X the number of people detecting the beaches, more parks closing due to the damage of careless diggers and property owners refusing us permission to detect because of the "priceless treasures" that are in their backyards :sadsanta:.

TomTV, I have nothing against you personally, but I'm not going to hold anything back. I hope your show never gets off the ground and Treasurenet erases your posts just like the other detecting forums have. The short term gain you may get from producing this show will have long term consequences for all of us involved in this hobby. Then again, you probably don't care about that as you'll be onto the next new reality show by then.

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As far as I know known of us make a dime :wink: much less would we advertise we make enough to put a down payment on a new home. Just what I need is the damn IRS wanting to know how much I made this year like the scrap metal people. I cant wait until this show comes out to see what person is going to represent our passion and interests. I hope its not a cross between Todd Hoffman and Dave Hester with a little R. Lee Ermey mixed in. By the way R. Lee Ermey is a hell of an actor. Guess i will just open a metal detecting supply store and get rich. I wonder if we can track how many new people come to Tnet after the show begins. I do appreciate this interest and the appreciation for our (hobby) even if its for your companies monetary gain. You just dont know the complications and problems that you will cause and since you don't really care, we do.

rustydigger

Aug 11, 2010
central jersey
Detector(s) used
whites v3i, bounty hunter tracker IV, whites bullseye II pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Zofchak said:
Shows like this will absolutely destroy this hobby just like it did the storage unit auctions! :BangHead: The exposure these shows will bring to detecting will be unlike anything you guys are expecting or prepared for. Get ready to see 3-4X the number of people detecting the beaches, more parks closing due to the damage of careless diggers and property owners refusing us permission to detect because of the "priceless treasures" that are in their backyards :sadsanta:.

TomTV, I have nothing against you personally, but I'm not going to hold anything back. I hope your show never gets off the ground and Treasurenet erases your posts just like the other detecting forums have. The short term gain you may get from producing this show will have long term consequences for all of us involved in this hobby. Then again, you probably don't care about that as you'll be onto the next new reality show by then.

Amen bro! Notice he is a new member he is a scout and only on here to get help for his TV show. I hope everyone realizes this and no one joins this cast.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other

Most people that buy a detector dont realize how much work it is...

Once that happens it goes right in the closet :laughing7:

There will be alot of good deals on LIKE NEW detectors :laughing9:

Lighten up guys :coffee2:

Blaze

Zofchak

Mar 11, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Excaliburs, Sovereign GT and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnnyblaze said:

Blaze

That's what I thought when the storage auction shows started. I figured there would be a a rush of people for a while and then it would go back to normal once everyone realized that every unit isn't a goldmine. Guess what... Over a year later and there's still 4-5 times as many people at the auctions, the prices have more than doubled and there's no end in sight.

I'm not one to overreact, but 2 of these shows are scheduled to air this Spring and obviously there are more in development. If "reality TV" does to metal detecting what it did to the storage auctions I'm going to be :angry4:.......

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnnyblaze said:

Blaze

And parks that look like mortor targets because all they cared about was digging up gold. No time to worry about "rules" or "ethics". GET THAT GOLD! Then they find out there isn't much gold there, the days are long and the work is hard. Then, parks destroyed, the detector goes in the closet, or on ebay or craigslist.

If you want good stories, REAL detecting, and plenty of drama just pick a few people from here and go follow them on thier hunts. Talk to them, and follow the drama that happens every day on the forum.

A

AlFu

Hello everyone,

Al here. Believe it or not, I came up with a show just over a year ago. I even had a meeting with an Executive Producer in NYC. I can tell all of you from my own personal experience about what these folks are after and how little they actually care about our hobby.

First. This is what they wanted. Entertaining people with highly dramatic personalities who happen to be lucky enough to find something so they can capture it on camera. Throw in some confrontations and maybe a fight between a few hunters, landowners, and the authorities and there is their ideal show.

Ask yourselves, How much will this type of show hurt our hobby or put it down? More than any of you really realize. This type of expositor has never been known to have a positive affect on what's being sensationalized.

Next. This was the show that I came up with and I would still love to see happen someday.

The show would be based on the sport of competitive hunting. Much like competitive bass fishing is today. I suggested creating teams of ten using a metal detecting club from each of the fifty states. (There is a club in every state by the way.) Each one hour episode would be a cross between highlighting the clubs, their members and some of their better finds, a Do's and Don't's segment where the audience can learn the proper etiquette associated with the hobby and sport, and the actual competitions. I suggested having the show's season be eleven episodes in length.

Each episode would feature a regional competition between five states. There is ten episodes alone. I am not going to go into the depths of how the competitions are laid out but I can assure you all, I tried to cover as many bases as I could. A sample of different types of terrain plays a big part in the show.

Each episode would have one winner. That makes ten hunters left for the final episode where at the end, one hunter would be crowned, "Hunter of the Year".

I have pages and pages of stuff that I came up with for this including rules and regulations, where the hunts could take place and how each competition would be broken down. Wouldn't it be cool to have a live audience in attendance cheering for their favorite hunters? Yes. I have a way for that too. The logistical aspects took a few weeks to complete alone. The entire project took me about 3 months to finish.

Then, I happened to get an email from my former club president saying that he has been contacted by an executive producer who was looking for hunters to put on tv. Strange coincidence I thought but I contacted this person. I explained who I was and what type of hunting I prefer. I told them that I have family in NY so it would be possible to meet and discuss exactly what they wanted.

When I got there and began to hear what they had in mind, I knew it wasn't for me, or for the hobby in general. At least in my opinion. Next, I shared with them all of the benefits that could be possible with a show such as mine and they pretty much told me that there was no place on tv for something like what I was suggesting. Naturally, they did not see the potentially good things that come from competition unless it can produce ratings that are on par with shows like Pawn Stars and American Pickers. Little do they realize just how big shows are that deal with competition. Ever hear of PBR? Or The Bassmasters or any sport at all for that matter? Our country lives for competition but all they really see is one word and if they think even for a second that there is no way to make that one word, forget about it! Now everyone, What's that word?

Money!!

[size=12pt]H.H.

Al
[/size]

montanagold

Apr 20, 2008
Montana
Detector(s) used
Curently the AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

If we all havent realized yet, money makes the world go round. The PBR and the Bass pro shows are there for the competition but they win large sums of money. The reason we are able to buy detectors that are better than the past is because someone wants to make money the reason we are all able to post our stories on public forums or write detecting books or make DVD's is of course to make money. Why wouldnt a show want to make money. A show about the legalities of the sport or the proper way to dig a hole would be pretty dry. I want to se great things being dug with excitement, I really think that the reason that all of the pwan shows pickers ect have done well is because there are treasure hunters in all of us for what ever reason we hope to find something cool or worth enough so we can retire and detect full time. Any treasure show is a fantastic idea and I would watch them all!!!! :hello2:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No, those shows are popular because the fake drama feeds mentally deficient people.

I enjoy watching regular hunting and fishing shows because I enjoy hunting and fishing. If they had all the made up drama of "if we can't do this, our lives are ruined" BS I wouldn't watch them. I enjoy watching "gold fever" and the old re-runs of his brother's show. They may be goofy some times, but none, zero, zip, nada drama.

Leave the fake fights and drama for the soap operas. Putting that kind of BS into a detecting show harms everyone.

A

AlFu

montanagold said:
If we all havent realized yet, money makes the world go round. The PBR and the Bass pro shows are there for the competition but they win large sums of money. The reason we are able to buy detectors that are better than the past is because someone wants to make money the reason we are all able to post our stories on public forums or write detecting books or make DVD's is of course to make money. Why wouldnt a show want to make money. A show about the legalities of the sport or the proper way to dig a hole would be pretty dry. I want to se great things being dug with excitement, I really think that the reason that all of the pwan shows pickers ect have done well is because there are treasure hunters in all of us for what ever reason we hope to find something cool or worth enough so we can retire and detect full time. Any treasure show is a fantastic idea and I would watch them all!!!! :hello2:
And where do you think the money comes from that shows like Bassmasters give away? It's called sponsorships. I have all of this laid out already. Let's start with something simple. What detectors are being used? What diggers? What pin pointers? Ect. Where do the hunters stay during the competitions? What hotels? How do they get to and from the hunts? What cars? And so on, and so on. I could spend hours trying to explain how it works and why but ultimately, it is a nitch and only a curtain amount of people will watch. Not everyone is into bass fishing and not everyone will be into competitive hunting either. I am a bit bias to the idea of coarse though.

How many of us can remember when bass fishing first started on tv? Roland Martin, Jimmy Huston and Bill Dance were the big names back then. (and still are) Look how far it's come now. The big competitions are televised every week. People go out and buy bass boats and the latest gear from huge stores like Bass Pro Shops. The sport has helped the environment by teaching proper techniques and helped create a multimillion dollar enterprise for itself at the same time. If there can be a show on competitive coupon shopping, why not one on competitive treasure hunting?

All I'm saying is that with the proper backing from the metal detector industry, this type of show could actually help put our hobby in its proper place within the television community. Let tv be the catalyst to shed light on the proper etiquette instead of allowing these vultures to hack away at the hobby we all love.

H.H.

Al

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other

Jeez Al with all these big words.....Im not even sure i understand your post :icon_scratch:

Are you reading from a teleprompter :laughing9: :laughing9:

Blaze

A

AlFu

johnnyblaze said:
Jeez Al with all these big words.....Im not even sure i understand your post :icon_scratch:

Blaze
No JB... I'm a republican. I don't need a teleprompter! Oops... Not sure if I should let that out on here. I wouldn't want the libbies to start a riot or something. I think I'll just not go there!

Al

Attachments

• riot.JPG
    riot.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 593

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other

AlFu said:
johnnyblaze said:

Blaze
No JB... I'm a republican. I don't need a teleprompter! Oops... Not sure if I should let that out on here. I wouldn't want the libbies to start a riot or something. I think I'll just not go there!

Al

You dont have to worry to much about that in the metal detecting world :coffee2:

Metal detecting is way to much of hard work for them :laughing9: :laughing9:

If the goverment gave you the finds,then we would be in trouble :D

Blaze

A

AlFu

You sir, are correct! 8) :laughing9:

Al

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My take on this an other MDing shows from the Saving History perspective...

Hey guys...I'm not going to support or put down the current producer here in the OP...however, I can tell you of my experience...in the last five years since I started the Saving History video series on Youtube, I've been contacted by no less than at least 15 different producers from around North America. Everything from startups to guys that had numerous shows running on places like the History Channel, National Geographic, and Discovery just to name a few...the idea to get an established MDing show has been in the works for a while, but non has taken off...although as the OP states, there are a couple of shows that are getting ready to make their debut.

Originally, I started out talking to these folks as I was enamoured with the idea of taking "my show" concept to a much different level. However, that was not their plan...every one that I discussed their ideas with all initially started in with the interest of preserving history, etc. but each conversation ended with promoting the values, what things could be sold for and the concept of "it's amazing what TREASURE ($$$) can be dug out of the ground." They all want to play off the popularity of getting rich and making money for nothing in a troubled economy...insert buying storage units, picking, garage sales, finding something at a yard sale and selling if for big bucks, etc. etc.

That's not why I'm in the hobby, and not what I'm personally about. Now, I'm not knocking anyone that gets involved in this or any other production like it...more power to you and the producer. I hope your successful and I'll probably watch them.

I've been fortunate to be in a few episodes of A-Way Outdoors on the Sportsmans channel, but we were all about the historical context of the finds and education. I've also been fortunate to have a my videos online watched nearly 1 million views. So, what I'm doing makes me happy and obviously some others enjoy it too. Now if a production idea were to come along more in line with my philosophies, then I'd consider it. But not sure that makes for good TV.

OK, not really sure where I going with this, but just felt I had some things to say and this was a good place to say it.

Watch Saving History! http://www.youtube.com/scdigger
Greg

A

AlFu

SCDigger,

I do believe you and I spoke about a year ago about what I was trying to accomplish. I really respect your opinions on this matter. It was because of the quality and content of your Youtube videos that I contacted you to begin with. Nice to see you again.

H.H.

Al

OP
OP
T

TomTV

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'll be forwarding this to my producer. It's a good idea...

I have to confess, we've gotten a LOT of good ideas from detectorists in the
past couple weeks...

Will this fly? Who knows, but I'm posting a new casting call notice after this reply...

:icon_pirat:

AlFu said:
The show would be based on the sport of competitive hunting. Much like competitive bass fishing is today. I suggested creating teams of ten using a metal detecting club from each of the fifty states. (There is a club in every state by the way.) Each one hour episode would be a cross between highlighting the clubs, their members and some of their better finds, a Do's and Don't's segment where the audience can learn the proper etiquette associated with the hobby and sport, and the actual competitions. I suggested having the show's season be eleven episodes in length.

Each episode would feature a regional competition between five states. There is ten episodes alone. I am not going to go into the depths of how the competitions are laid out but I can assure you all, I tried to cover as many bases as I could. A sample of different types of terrain plays a big part in the show.

Each episode would have one winner. That makes ten hunters left for the final episode where at the end, one hunter would be crowned, "Hunter of the Year".

I have pages and pages of stuff that I came up with for this including rules and regulations, where the hunts could take place and how each competition would be broken down. Wouldn't it be cool to have a live audience in attendance cheering for their favorite hunters? Yes. I have a way for that too. The logistical aspects took a few weeks to complete alone. The entire project took me about 3 months to finish.

Then, I happened to get an email from my former club president saying that he has been contacted by an executive producer who was looking for hunters to put on tv. Strange coincidence I thought but I contacted this person. I explained who I was and what type of hunting I prefer. I told them that I have family in NY so it would be possible to meet and discuss exactly what they wanted.

When I got there and began to hear what they had in mind, I knew it wasn't for me, or for the hobby in general. At least in my opinion. Next, I shared with them all of the benefits that could be possible with a show such as mine and they pretty much told me that there was no place on tv for something like what I was suggesting. Naturally, they did not see the potentially good things that come from competition unless it can produce ratings that are on par with shows like Pawn Stars and American Pickers. Little do they realize just how big shows are that deal with competition. Ever hear of PBR? Or The Bassmasters or any sport at all for that matter? Our country lives for competition but all they really see is one word and if they think even for a second that there is no way to make that one word, forget about it! Now everyone, What's that word?

Money!!

[size=12pt]H.H.

Al
[/size]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread