Florida Gold TV Series Casting Call

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The biggest issue that seems to be going unnoticed here is this...

When you are beach hunting, the finds aren't REALLY yours. You're legally required to turn them into the police so that the owner can then come claim them. It's not finders keepers.

So this show is going to show some amazing finds that have REAL owners. It's just a matter of time before somebody sees their ring and then finds out at the end of the episode that the diamond was plucked from it and then it was melted down.

So many things are going to go wrong for us hobbyists once these shows hit the air. New laws, new regulations, new restrictions, etc.

montanagold

Apr 20, 2008
Montana
Detector(s) used
Curently the AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So you say that the finds don't belong to the detectorist huh. Then why talk about detecting the right way then do it the illegal way? Seems pretty bad for people to get on a soap box when their breaking the law in the first place.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
montanagold said:
So you say that the finds don't belong to the detectorist huh. Then why talk about detecting the right way then do it the illegal way? Seems pretty bad for people to get on a soap box when their breaking the law in the first place.

I don't beach hunt for recently lost jewelry mr smarty pants. But, then again, your posts have proven that you are too dense to see the big picture here.

A generic barber dime lost in 1920 has no real findable owner. A diamond engagement ring lost last week does have a findable owner.

Go look up property law. Just because you lose something doesn't mean it's no longer yours.

People that detect beaches are SUPPOSED to turn in all valuables to the police.

Sure, they ignore forums like this for the most part, but if you put it on tv and have people start claiming that their ring was on tv and wasn't turned over to the police so that they could regain possession of it, then things could get nasty.

bazinga said:
The biggest issue that seems to be going unnoticed here is this...

When you are beach hunting, the finds aren't REALLY yours. You're legally required to turn them into the police so that the owner can then come claim them. It's not finders keepers.

So this show is going to show some amazing finds that have REAL owners. It's just a matter of time before somebody sees their ring and then finds out at the end of the episode that the diamond was plucked from it and then it was melted down.

So many things are going to go wrong for us hobbyists once these shows hit the air. New laws, new regulations, new restrictions, etc.

You've made mention of this before and I do recall reading those laws for a couple of states. Is that for every state?

No laws in Canada like that but after a show like this, I wouldn't be surprised if there will be! :BangHead:

montanagold

Apr 20, 2008
Montana
Detector(s) used
Curently the AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No need to get hostile Baz I was trying to make a point. You may not like the idea of a show but the way tv shows are going I don't think the nay sayers have much of a choice.

A

AlFu

montanagold said:
No need to get hostile Baz I was trying to make a point. You may not like the idea of a show but the way tv shows are going I don't think the nay sayers have much of a choice.

On the contrary. We don't have to watch it. Once the ratings are not there, neither will the shows. However, I am interested in seeing how these guys do with it. I remember their videos from Youtube and they are characters, for sure. As long as they portray the hobby in a positive way, I'll be a loyal viewer.

Al

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mentioned the "showing rings" found to the powers that be
and said some guys may not mind returning the rings if claims are made - especially if they are getting
paid by the show/channel
but you know if a guy gets a huge diamond and has to return it
alot of guys out there are not going to want to - I told person involved at the time
that they may have to set up some sort of compensation - to hunters that do hand stuff over
lets say you really get into it too - and you get a nice ring and director or producer says
"hey - it fits" if they are footing the bill - do you have to let them have it
some thing will have to be in writing - stating the disposition of finds probably
because I guarantee - even fresh dropped silver rings that are found and shown - example
"I just found this silver ring with amethyst stone here at Miami beach in about 4 feet of water"
that if a woman was on that beach and told friend and relatives she lost a ring on that beach that fits that description - that the network or show will be getting a call or calls trying to claim it - so it wont just be gold rings but any gold or silver jewelry that will get called on
the only thing that would be safe would be "old gold"
I personally return stuff every year - have never taken a dime for it - I returned a diamond ring to a woman on SOBE and a class ring lost in N.Miami to a girl - but would I want every single find found of mine
subject to being turned over - NO

Gooner

Dec 23, 2010
Pawhuska, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
white's xlt
Oh boy. I just read the whole thing. Jeez.

A couple of my friends and I have been trying to assemble a project that involves the search for and attempted recovery of certain outlaw treasures. I did not know that we needed to have "angles." Do we need to stand crooked or should we take a large quantity of beer along on each hunt? We could have a show about Treasure Hunting and call it "Treasure Hunters"... nope, the name has already been taken and is the title of a show about thieves who are giving bottom of the ditch prices for gold, silver, and other valuables, especially antiques.
And another thing... So you show on the telly someone finding a coin. Then you tell how much the coin is worth. Will you explain the difference between a 1938 MS 65 FS nickel (Jefferson) and a 1938 nickel on which you can barely read the date?
What are you doing? Why can't you just hire people who know nothing about metal detecting and give them some $50 piece of radio shack equipment from about thirty years ago, and a long handled round point shovel? Turn them loose on the beach where they will get response from the salinity and film plenty of butt shots of bikini clad bimbos. Oh, and hey everyone, if they start filming on a beach anywhere in the vicinity of a shipwreck that is still under litigation, Spanish or otherwise, do we get to see them being arrested by the coast guard? (even if they don't find anything, kinda like a few places I have heard about on Padre Island, don't even know if it is true or not)
I know where approx. 20 "on land" treasures are located. Every single one of them just happen to be on private property, and each is on a different landowner..........................................

ouachitacaveman

Mar 12, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom,
If you haven't noticed, there are several threads
posted next to yours about the possibility of losing our rights
to metal detect in Florida due to new laws in the works.
You probably should investigate these laws and the outcome
of the proposed laws before you make plans to film there.
Instead of a "treasure hunting" series ( another one ) why not
try something a little different, such as " preserving history ", and the
methods people use to do this. We are not " all about the money & treasure ".
Hopefully, Florida will not limit metal detecting as is being announced, but
if so, your filming efforts may be in vain there.

handy

Mar 11, 2008
nw pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 11
i say we find out when they shoot and get ten people with a few rolls of pennys and walk in front of them throwing the pennys down :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

OP
OP
T

TomTV

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
handy said:
i say we find out when they shoot and get ten people with a few rolls of pennys and walk in front of them throwing the pennys down :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Maybe that fits right in with the angle we're taking...heh...

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i have been md'ing for 4 months. It is not a get rich hobby.
If i were to sell what i have found, i might have 40 dollars profit. actually im still in the negative, i probably spent more than that in gas riding around lookin for spots to hunt. however, i would never selll what i find.
it is a hobby, not a career.
It is already hard to get a landowner to grant permission to us, to hunt on their private property. What do you think will happen when the landowner thinks we are making money hand over fist doing this.
Another concern is that every kid is gona want to be a treasure hunter. Get a detector and goto some public area like the park, and dig it up and leave a mess. Then the city will make a law banning detectors in public areas. Because on your show, you did not educate people on the correct procedures/etiquette.

Most of us keep a low profile, but im sure you will find a couple kOoKY Eccentrics to do your bidding.

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am about to have a brakedown it makes me cry to see what is happening to my beloved hobby.

Jonnie

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Florida Hunters wanted for TV Series

Muddyhandz said:
montanagold said:
Truth is Tom that this hobby is full of people that feel that it is their responsibility to protect it as if they are the only ones who have the right or ability to detect. Many who get down right mean about it, one minute their talking about introducing people to the hobby then they are complaining because they saw someone detecting the local tot lot that they feel is their spot. Kind of reminds me of prospecting folks who have mining claims and put up no tresspassing signs when the land doesent even belong to them. Many a show has benn made in the past about treasure hunting and many a show will be made and oh look the hobby is still here, personally I hope to see lots of treasure hunting shows in the future so I can watch it on TV all the time.

You mean the same thousands of people who post their finds on a world wide forum for everyone to see? ;D
You see i kind say i don't like it for .... I am one of the few that know better than to post pictures of there finds.................... On this forum or any forum.......... To much information out there now a days on every thing........... :cussing: :angry4:

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo! Don't do it!

Does there have to be a reality show for everything?

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Florida Hunters wanted for TV Series

Keppy said:
Muddyhandz said:
montanagold said:
Truth is Tom that this hobby is full of people that feel that it is their responsibility to protect it as if they are the only ones who have the right or ability to detect. Many who get down right mean about it, one minute their talking about introducing people to the hobby then they are complaining because they saw someone detecting the local tot lot that they feel is their spot. Kind of reminds me of prospecting folks who have mining claims and put up no tresspassing signs when the land doesent even belong to them. Many a show has benn made in the past about treasure hunting and many a show will be made and oh look the hobby is still here, personally I hope to see lots of treasure hunting shows in the future so I can watch it on TV all the time.

You mean the same thousands of people who post their finds on a world wide forum for everyone to see? ;D
You see i kind say i don't like it for .... I am one of the few that know better than to post pictures of there finds.................... On this forum or any forum.......... To much information out there now a days on every thing........... :cussing: :angry4:

A wise person doesn't post their finds. Sadly, too many people are in this hobby for the recognition it gives them and not the joy of the finds themselves. I still get absolutely jacked to see silver at the bottom of my hole and I don't want that to disappear.

But I do thank all of the unwise people that post their finds and then give enough info to give up the location. Had some nice 10+ silver days from people posting... Oh I found 3 silver on my first day out with my new ace 250. They lead you right to some nice honey holes that I otherwise might have looked over.

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
Perfect every swinging Tom Dick and Harry has a detector In Florida. Well you can have this state. I will stay in N.Y. These lazy people do not know how to leave an area . What a mess these parks are in Vero and Sebastian. they should ban the sport for about 10 years down here. I will never waste anymore of my tourist money .

rocky raccoon

Jan 24, 2012
nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey be careful...i heard it was a sting operation,to get all the mders in fla

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions