Follow Up To Battlefield Bullet Bonanza

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is a follow up to my post yesterday. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,431046.0.html I was hoping someone might be able to give me some detailed ID on these two bullets. The large one on the right appears to be an Enfield. It measured between .56 and .57 caliber and is about 1.16 inches long, hollow base. The other one appears to have 2 rings, measures just a bit over .55 caliber and is a little over .80 inches long and is solid base. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3610.jpg
    IMG_3610.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 833
  • IMG_3611.jpg
    IMG_3611.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 829
Upvote 0

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bigger one looks like an Enfield...anything in the base? Number or letter?

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
romeo-1 said:
The bigger one looks like an Enfield...anything in the base? Number or letter?

No, nothing.

cumberlandgray

Nov 24, 2009
I think the one on the left is a fired Spencer bullet. The one on the right...

...looks like an Enfield.
Great finds!

Old Stonewall said:
This is a follow up to my post yesterday. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,431046.0.html I was hoping someone might be able to give me some detailed ID on these two bullets. The large one on the right appears to be an Enfield. It measured between .56 and .57 caliber and is about 1.16 inches long, hollow base. The other one appears to have 2 rings, measures just a bit over .55 caliber and is a little over .80 inches long and is solid base. Any help would be appreciated.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Old Stonewall wrote:
> I was hoping someone might be able to give me some detailed ID on these two bullets.
> The large one on the right appears to be an Enfield. It measured between .56 and .57 caliber
> and is about 1.16 inches long, hollow base.

You didn't tell us the shape of the cavity ("plug" type, or cone, or cone-with-teat). Without that information I cannot give you a 100%-certain ID. It looks like bullet #221 in the McKee-&-Mason book, which is 1.18-inches long. That bullet has a "plug" cavity.

> The other one appears to have 2 rings, measures just a bit over .55 caliber and is a
> little over .80 inches long and is solid base.

It's a close call, between being a Burnside or a Spencer. To me, it appears to be a US-made Burnside .54 which has been fired. The reason your fired bullet measures about .55 is the raised ridges made by the gunbarrel's rifling "add onto" the bullet's original (unfired) diameter. You can check the Burnside ID by counting your fired bullet's rifling grooves. The Burnside Carbine had 5-groove rifling. The Spencer had 6-groove rifling.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TheCannonballGuy said:
Old Stonewall wrote:
> I was hoping someone might be able to give me some detailed ID on these two bullets.
> The large one on the right appears to be an Enfield. It measured between .56 and .57 caliber
> and is about 1.16 inches long, hollow base.

You didn't tell us the shape of the cavity ("plug" type, or cone, or cone-with-teat). Without that information I cannot give you a 100%-certain ID. It looks like bullet #221 in the McKee-&-Mason book, which is 1.18-inches long. That bullet has a "plug" cavity.

> The other one appears to have 2 rings, measures just a bit over .55 caliber and is a
> little over .80 inches long and is solid base.

It's a close call, between being a Burnside or a Spencer. To me, it appears to be a US-made Burnside .54 which has been fired. The reason your fired bullet measures about .55 is the raised ridges made by the gunbarrel's rifling "add onto" the bullet's original (unfired) diameter. You can check the Burnside ID by counting your fired bullet's rifling grooves. The Burnside Carbine had 5-groove rifling. The Spencer had 6-groove rifling.

Thanks Cannonball. The Enfield's base is cone shaped, no teat. The other bullet appears to have 5 grooves.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You're welcome. Thank you for the info that your Enfield's cavity is a simple cone, not a cone-with-teat or other cavity-variation.. With that info, I'm able to confirm for you that it is indeed a CS-made Enfield minie, not a British-made one. At 1.16-inches long, we call it a Confederate "Long-model" Enfield minie. Unfortunately, it is not pictured in the McKee-&-Mason book on civil war bullets.

The five-groove rifling on your other bullet confirms that it is a fired Burnside, as I suspected.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Two nice ones O.S. WTG on the lead. CB Guy really knows his lead. Enfields are getting harder to recover each year. HH, Quindy.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TheCannonballGuy said:
You're welcome. Thank you for the info that your Enfield's cavity is a simple cone, not a cone-with-teat or other cavity-variation.. With that info, I'm able to confirm for you that it is indeed a CS-made Enfield minie, not a British-made one. At 1.16-inches long, we call it a Confederate "Long-model" Enfield minie. Unfortunately, it is not pictured in the McKee-&-Mason book on civil war bullets.

The five-groove rifling on your other bullet confirms that it is a fired Burnside, as I suspected.

Thanks again Cannonball. I really appreciate your time and expertise. For both ID purposes and learning the history of Civil War era bullets, could you recommend some books?

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
Two nice ones O.S. WTG on the lead. CB Guy really knows his lead. Enfields are getting harder to recover each year. HH, Quindy.

Thanks Quindy.

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, Its a shame you are not going to be able to dig that spot again. That spot should produce some good buttons.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ynpto804 said:
Man, Its a shame you are not going to be able to dig that spot again. That spot should produce some good buttons.

I don't know for sure. There's a good chance, just not certain. Yes, I'm a bit surprised I didn't find more brass, though I was moving pretty fast to cover as much ground as possible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread