For Pickaway

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I thought Pickaway would enjoy these pics of woodland points found along the Scioto River. From your handle I know you must have searched many of the areas I did in the 60's and 70's.
These were found by myself and my brother along the Scioto and the streams flowing into it after plowing. These little guys survived ok but alot of the large points I found were badly damaged by plows. I moved back to Florida in 83 and have missed the winter field searches ever since.
SANY0224.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Pickaway, I'm still digging out boxes with my old Ohio frames. I'm enjoying the reminiscing. This frame is from where I grew up in Franklin Co. It's on a bluff right on the river. It had an extensive woodland site that was partly dug by the OHS. This was my brothers stuff. He passed away in 94. I'm glad I have these.
SANY0250.jpg

P.S. The white on in the left lower corner is one he found here in Florida

P

pickaway

Some nice ones in there for sure, thats a special frame for sure.I think i know where your talking about,Just behind the old elementary school off High St. I forget the site name,They closed the school and there are fields there now but not farmed.I'm planning on hitting the river hard this summer by boating and hitting alot of the streams that run into it.Would love to do a trip to Portsmouth on the river, far as I've went is Chillicothe but just fishing,Anyways love seeing the Ohio finds Take it easy...

That top right one looks like a stringtown stemmed lance...Niceun

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Pickaway,
Your right on. It is the Scioto Trail School were I attended grade school. So much stuff was found behind it when they put in the little park. The Ohio Hist. Society did a summer dig there and uncovered a large woodland village. That kind of area would have been occupied continuously for thousands of years.
The farm is Windmillers old place and the son still owns the land but seldom does much with it. He leases it when he needs the money and they will plow and plant. Good luck on the boating trip, sounds like fun.

P

pickaway

Just drove by it yesterday, there starting to tear the school down or at least gut it.The park is still behind it,also looks like the fields were planted with hay last season and on the west side of river is a landfill w/ monstrous hills of something.Theres a couple creeks that run thru there just north & south of there and run into the river, i think i'll check them out sometime this spring.I think the OHS name for that site was Newtown.I used to live in the village behind school on Claude drive...Still have relatives that live there.

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Pickaway, I grew up on Alcott in the same neighborhood. Ran that river and the quarry's. Small world! That whole area along the river has tons of stuff and is seldom plowed. A couple of trips ago I found chips and a broke point in tracks made from atv's which have tore the place up. If I head up there I'll pm you. I know I could still pick up something around there. I'll take a pic of the Dovetail my brother found when they built some kind of pump station about a mile south of that school.

P

pickaway

Alocott yep know it well, there was an older guy that lived there by the name of Delmer Simmons I think, he had motorcycles galore,ppl used to ride bikes up in there alot behind the old mall which is now the Wal-mart.Went today off 762 by the river walked 2 hours not even a flake i gave up.Melt has the creeks up when they go down ill be in em.Yeah get ahold of me if your ever up this way...Ron

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Pickaway,
I imagine it's muddy as all get out up there. I briefly lived in Commercial Point at one time and used to look some off 762. Nothing comes to mind so I guess I didn't fare well.
I never knew a Mr. Simmons. Here is the Dovetail I mentioned earlier. There was some kind of pump station built in the 60's back behind where the K-Mart used to be. There was a trailer park in front of it. Dale was grubbing around and came home with this. I've had it and all his points since he died.

SANY0277.jpg

I have trouble getting my pics right, It's a Flintridge buttonbase I think.

P

pickaway

Yeah i know the area well theres a bmx track there now, trailer parks still there kmart gone but they put something in bldg.Muddy yeah went to my favorite creek yesterday found a little cornernotch with base damage.still no whole one for me in 09 :icon_scratch:No pic of Dove is showing up...
cn1.jpg

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a nice little point you found! I deleted some pics from photobucket and I guess it deletes them from the post. I'll take a new pic and send it when I get a chance.
Park and walk back through the little park. To the left near the back is a giant hole in the fence the atv's use. Through that you can get right above the river and dig around for stuff. Even walking the atv tracks can turn up chips and bladelet cores. The place is totally destroyed by the off road people so your digging a little won't make any difference.
You have to shut your eyes and imagine the terrain before it was all messed up. It was thick woods and weeds when I was a kid, before motocross and atv's. We bicycled and walked everywhere.

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Pickaway. I finally got around to taking a new pic. Hope your getting good weather for searching. I found a spot down here I hope to check out soon. As usual I take lousy pics!
SANY0286.jpg

P

pickaway

WOW. is the material ridge? man thats a killa.I've been out twice now in the creeks, my best creek was up and the water murky, other creek was perfect found nothing in eithier.I need to get my ass out to my site in Licking county after the rain n snow something has to be washed out out there, maybe next weekend.Good luck on your new spot...o and i'm meeting a farmer tommorow that has 200 acres i got permission to hunt hoping its a good place...

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, it's FR. materiAL. Kind of dark and greasy looking but it's translucent around the edges. I hope to check out my spot this week. I should at least find some sharks teeth.

P

pickaway

Well got permission for new fields however they are no till located out by Stoutsville :'(, but there are 3 creeks and some of the fields were beans, he plowed last year so i might find something,however the land beside his was deep plowed and they just dug out a small ditch he siad he was gonna talk to guy hopefully i'll get in there.Guy was real nice glad to see there are still ppl that'll let you walk thier fields...good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread